2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Christmas Dinner< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those of you that have a special meal for Christmas Dinner, may I ask what you serve?  My mother always served a repeat of her Thanksgiving menu, which was unfortunate because that woman could dry out a turkey with the very best of them, and her stuffing was actually bitter due to some bizarre seasoning imbalance.  

For the last decade, I've tried a few different "big" meals, but I haven't hit the right one yet.  I've made roast beef, I've fried chicken, I've made lasagna.  None of those really felt appropriate.  The Missus has sworn that she will not eat goose, so that's not an option.  

I know we have some cooks amongst our ranks, help a man out here.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A big ham is always nice and traditional, for some.  Being Greek, a leg of lamb was always on the table.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brine the bird.  That should avoid drying it out unless it's just plain overcooked to death.  Cut at the leg joint - it's it's mostly clear (remember you're cutting near dark meat) then it's done.  I've cooked up to 28 pound birds that turned out super juicy.

After the first time I tried it, my wife won't let me cook a bird without brining it.

My wife's awesome mashed potatos.  Filet beans, lightly cooked.  Maybe her awesome blackberry cobbler and/or my creme brulee.  She likes Pepperidge Farm stuffing.  Gravy.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A well brined turkey will be served at Thanksgiving.  I use Alton Brown's brine recipe.

Leg of lamb... Never thought of that one.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Standing rib roast.  Always a hit.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 18 2012, 1:04 pm)

Yeah, that's awesome, too.
 Post Number: 7
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 18 2012, 1:01 pm)
A well brined turkey will be served at Thanksgiving.  I use Alton Brown's brine recipe.

Leg of lamb... Never thought of that one.

Not cheap, but dang good.  Although you have to like lamb.  Some just don't care for it.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Growing up, we had the repeat T-day dinner.  I have had turkey, ham, lamb, and the standing rib roast for Xmas.  This year I have a guy in NM that is bringing me a coyote.

If you like ideas for the leftovers from the turkey dinner, I make turkey enchiladas and turkey quiche (using the leftover stuffing for the crust).

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another vote for brining the turkey. My mother fights me on it every year, even though it's the juiciest turkey we ever had...I think because it wasn't her idea!

For Christmas, we do tamales on Christmas Eve, along with other Mexican fixin's like sopa, enchiladas and beans (no menudo, thanks!)  I'm going to miss that this year and will be having airport food instead.  

Christmas morning we have a breakfast casserole tradition - the recipe is always slightly different, but always involves eggs, cheese, sausage, potatoes, etc.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also tossing around variations for Xmas dinner.  All suggestions so far sound good.  Think I'll poll the attendees and then ask my BiL (who has training as a chef) to do the cooking, as I actually know little about cooking big hunks of meat (though I've been learning turkey).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually we had honey baked ham (spiral sliced), scalloped potatoes, deviled eggs, green bean casserole (I hate it), bread of some sort, fruit salad, and my mom's famous banana pudding. There was always plenty of appetizer type of foods, too. Plus cookies and candy galore :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 12
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chinese Food.

(Me <--- Jewish)

Honestly, we celebrate Christmas with my dad, but we still ate Chinese take-out last year :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 13
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So the Turkey is totally submerged in the brine mixture? How long is it kept in the brine? An off the shelf mixture or your own recipe?
A lot of the suggestions sound delicious!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ScotH @ Nov. 18 2012, 3:49 pm)
So the Turkey is totally submerged in the brine mixture? How long is it kept in the brine? An off the shelf mixture or your own recipe?
A lot of the suggestions sound delicious!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes....ex.html

Completely submerged.  My turkey will get placed in the brine on Tuesday night, I won't have time on Wednesday morning.  I like to let the bird soak for a full 24 hours.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 15
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you.
 Post Number: 16
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brine the turkey in a bag, that way you don't need two gallons.  I'm using a buttermilk brine this year.

Christmas dinner isn't really a big deal for us, as there's just too much going on, and there's always plenty of food around anyway.

We ususally have ham for Easter.

New Year's day, we usually do some kind of seafood.
 Post Number: 17
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

A well made pot roast will always make good friends...!! :)
 Post Number: 18
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We do different meals for Christmas, with no set tradition.  The only rule is that it must not be turkey.  I really like turkey, once or twice a year, and at least six months between meals.  
Some of our Christmas menus have been shrimp, lasagna, salmon or halibut, ham, enchiladas, roast beef, and one of my favorites that we've repeated a few times is just a nice variety of good homemade soups and breads.  That one always has clam chowder and 2-3 other kinds.  
And whether it's Thanksgiving or Christmas, pie is the real star of the show.  We generally have more pies than people, and at least half a dozen varieties.  We've considered just having pie for Christmas and forgetting the rest of the meal altogether.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 19
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love turkey the way Ol-Zeke made it with me once and I just wrote how that works on my "echo's voice" blog. The link is in my sig line.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 20
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love Turkey, so I prefer it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. HOWEVER my wife and her family prefer something else. I always bring up that most Christmas carols and songs talk about turkey for the meal not ham. Plus we do ham for Easter.
The one year my wife, being Italian, decided to fix a bunch of Italian dishes for Christmas. It was not a hit and we have since gone back to more traditional foods like mashed potatos and green bean casserole and stuffing. She suggested Mexican dishes too but was met with apathy by our kids and her family( parents and g-parents)
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We always do turkey at Thanksgiving.  So we don't do it Christmas.  Unless mom's feeling nostalgic.  And when mom wants to make dressing we all bow to her wishes.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Nov. 18 2012, 5:18 pm)
...and one of my favorites that we've repeated a few times is just a nice variety of good homemade soups and breads.  That one always has clam chowder and 2-3 other kinds.  
And whether it's Thanksgiving or Christmas, pie is the real star of the show.  We generally have more pies than people, and at least half a dozen varieties.  We've considered just having pie for Christmas and forgetting the rest of the meal altogether.

All of that sounds REALLY good.

It should be noted that I not only like a well cooked turkey dinner, but I love them.  It's my standard order at a diner the first time I eat there.  That said, I just feel like Christmas deserves it's own meal tradition instead of a copy of Thanksgiving.

As usual, y'all have been a wealth of knowledge, lots of good ideas here so far.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Standard order at my holiday house:  My pies.

Chocolate bourbon pecan pie.

You should all lust.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah. The pies are what it is really All about.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 25
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure how lasagne doesn't seem right . . . unless you're not good at it.  Then again, you're in Maryland so I'll just assume you don't know any better.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 26
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 18 2012, 1:04 pm)

Prime rib and lasagne is an excellent combination!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 27
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I kind of like the idea of all pies. Could do a pot-pie or two for those who insist on something besides dessert.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 28
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Growing up, we always had the traditional turkey dinner for Thanksgiving and  Corned Beef and cabbage for Christmas. Not a real popular dish in the south.

Easter was either a nasty glazed ham that my Mom really liked or a more traditional hasenpfeffer.
 Post Number: 29
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spaghetti 'cause momma was tired after all the activities of the day. If us girls were hosting the festivities it was usually leg of lamb and roasted potatoes...in fact that is now our own tradition when not working.
 Post Number: 30
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before we were empty nesters the in-laws would come over for breakfast and watch the kids open their gifts. Dad passed in December 2010 and mom isn't too mobile so now we have a quiet morning.  For later, if kids or family want to drop by I'll have a honey baked ham, homemade mac n cheese and a potatoe casserole available.  

I also host Christmas Eve now for the in-law side of the family and I like to change it up.  We've had pizza, homemade shredded pork BBQ, City BBQ, lasagna, a bunch of mixed hors de oevers, and ham.  I don't think I've ever had turkey for Christmas.
55 replies since Nov. 18 2012, 12:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Christmas Dinner
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions