2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Green Bean Casserole :: Total Votes:41
Poll choices Votes Statistics
I love it! 24  [58.54%]
I hate it! 3  [7.32%]
It's okay. 13  [31.71%]
Never had it. 1  [2.44%]
What's Green Bean Casserole? 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Green Bean Casserole, Love it or leave it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 2:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So where do you stand on Green Bean Casserole? I don't like it at all. My taste buds think it is nasty and vile  :p  :D

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks vile beyond measure.  It doesn't really taste so bad, but it's horribly bad for you and if I never ate it again I wouldn't miss it.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that is one of those childhood foods that, as an adult, we figure out it is not so good.  I still like it in small portions.  Mostly, I put it in the same category as all of those other casseroles that I ate at church gatherings.  However, to this day I do not eat tuna casserole any longer because of some vile stuff I ate as an adult.  Had no choice but to eat or go hungry.  Looking back on it, I should have skipped that meal and just been hungry until breakfast.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Must have!

And not only in November.

Those crunchy onions go on lots of things from soups to Mac and cheese..
 Post Number: 5
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ranks right up there with tuna noodle casserole! No thank you!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ScotH @ Nov. 18 2012, 12:51 pm)
Ranks right up there with tuna noodle casserole! No thank you!

You've never put Jalapeños in have you?

Yum!
 Post Number: 7
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm damaged by my Mothers variation of it. Fridays during Lent as a child. It was one of about five stomach turning creations my mother would prepare for Friday night meals.
 Post Number: 8
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Uh, no.  Just the beans, thank you.
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm kind of partial to tuna casserole.

The beans and mushroom soup are OK, but it's Soooo predictable.

Here's what I'm making for Thanksgiving

Green Beans Polynesian
 Post Number: 10
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 18 2012, 2:10 pm)
It looks vile beyond measure.  It doesn't really taste so bad, but it's horribly bad for you and if I never ate it again I wouldn't miss it.

I'm with Jim.  It's boring, but tuna casserole trulyl is vile.  My mom was making some for my father when I was at their place last week.  The smell made my stomach churn.

But when you grow up in the midwest, you can't escape green bean casserole no matter how much you try.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 11
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every gathering since the dawn of man has served it.  It's still gross.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 12
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When there are so many gorgeous ways to prepare fresh beans, I can't imagine why people choose cream-of-crud casserole.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Foodies.

GBC is heaven on a spoon.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's okay. I'm just getting burnt out on it year after year for several meals. Plus it just doesn't taste as good as it used to when I was a kid. Guess my taste buds have changed.
 Post Number: 15
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Nov. 18 2012, 2:07 pm)
When there are so many gorgeous ways to prepare fresh beans, I can't imagine why people choose cream-of-crud casserole.

It's easy to make.
It's comfort food.
It's easy to make.
Kids won't eat that fancy-smancy green bean dish yer thinking about.
Fresh green beans in November and December?  Not in cold climes so mix in a couple cans of green beans with a can of cream of mushroom.  Dump a can of onion rings on top and bake at 385 for about 45 minutes and voila ... one dish done for the gathering.
Did I mention it's easy to make?

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 16
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Nov. 18 2012, 2:30 pm)

(JimInMD @ Nov. 18 2012, 2:10 pm)

I'm with Jim.  It's boring, but tuna casserole trulyl is vile.  My mom was making some for my father when I was at their place last week.  The smell made my stomach churn.

But when you grow up in the midwest, you can't escape green bean casserole no matter how much you try.

That and the orange jello with shredded carrots.....or the lime jello with fruit cocktail.

I can almost here Garrison Keillor in the background.
 Post Number: 17
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We always have it, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and most Easters. Extra onions, non negotiable.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 18
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's another one - creamed chipped beef on toast.  I mean, if it looks like gray vomit, how good can it possibly be?
 Post Number: 19
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 18 2012, 7:56 pm)
Here's another one - creamed chipped beef on toast.  I mean, if it looks like gray vomit, how good can it possibly be?

Like that, too.  The version the GSU cafeteria produced is my favorite.  I guess I just like comfort gravy foods.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 20
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a holiday food in our family. But just the thought takes me back to many church potlucks!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 21
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 18 2012, 6:56 pm)

S.O.S. is some good eats. The green bean casserole, not so much.

Of course, I'm not a big fan of green beans.
 Post Number: 22
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never tried it because I don't do green beans.  But now that I'm reading how unhealthy it is, I'm thinking it might actually taste OK  :laugh:

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 23
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or if your parents were from the midwest... and if your wife is from there!

There has to be a Haute Cusine version of the Green Bean Casserole!

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, googled it... first good find:

http://www.marthastewart.com/337685/green-bean-casserole

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.channel3000.com/enterta....ex.html

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe....le.html

--------------
 Post Number: 27
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 18 2012, 6:08 pm)
Foodies.

GBC is heaven on a spoon.

Yes!  I love it and I'm not ashamed.  My wife and in-laws don't approve, but I may bring one this week anyway.  It's been a couple years since I've had it.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 18 2012, 6:46 pm)

Just the thing for that $385 copper sauce pan from them!

#BestExcuseEver
 Post Number: 29
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 18 2012, 8:42 pm)

Or if your parents were from the midwest... and if your wife is from there!

There has to be a Haute Cusine version of the Green Bean Casserole!

yep.  so is my wife.  it's worse in her family, too.  I swear they have GBC at least once a week.

her family is even so bad that my wife didn't know how to work with most fresh vegetables when we got married, and she never had a vegetable garden growing up.

I'm fortunate that my side of the family at least has a few people in it who like flavor and seasonings and good food.  Unfortunately it's not my immediate family.  at least they like fresh vegetables.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 30
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 18 2012, 7:59 pm)

(reubenstump @ Nov. 18 2012, 7:56 pm)

Like that, too.  The version the GSU cafeteria produced is my favorite.  I guess I just like comfort gravy foods.

Same here.  I also love SOS, and biscuits and gravy.  Lately though, gravy and fatty sauces like alfredo and hollandaise have been upsetting my stomach, to put it nicely.  For now, I'm going to keep eating them selectively and suffer the consequences.
64 replies since Nov. 18 2012, 2:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Green Bean Casserole
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions