2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Windows 8..., Opinions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 1:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been working with Windows 8 for about a week now. I can't stand it. I can barely move the stinking mouse across the screen without something being activated. I will strongly recommend that my clients downgrade to Windows 7. Too many fricken bells and whistles...

Anybody have it and like it or love it? What do you like?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't used it, so can't comment directly about it...  But couple of thoughts anyway...

I use Win 7 desktop at home -- and when traveling,  I use an Asus tablet with Android 4.0.  To me anyway, the thing about "uniform look and feel" is overrated.  I have no trouble at all using two different OS.  In fact, I don't mind it at all when:

1.  Each OS optimizes my experiences with the two form factors respectively.  Not a bad thing having a powerful, mouse and keyboard optimized desktop -- and having a fast, light, energy-efficient, touch-enabled OS for tablet.

2.  Both OS includes apps that read/edit/save my data files.

Another thought:  methinks the somewhat schizo Win RT is merely a transition product.  Win 8 Pro likely demands too much from current hardware -- meaning heavier, slower tablets that will run out of juice sooner -- and hence, the stripped down RT version.  But when hardware catches up so that Win 8 Pro can run on tablets as fast and as efficiently -- then the two will fuse back into one -- not unlike how Win 9x and Win NT eventually fused -- once hardware caught up.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every other OS from Microsoft sucks

2000 good

Windows Me sucked

Windows XP good

Vista Sucked

Windows 7 good

Therefore, Windows 8..........
 Post Number: 4
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 19 2012, 11:51 am)
I've been working with Windows 8 for about a week now. I can't stand it. I can barely move the stinking mouse across the screen without something being activated. I will strongly recommend that my clients downgrade to Windows 7. Too many fricken bells and whistles...

Anybody have it and like it or love it? What do you like?

Ed has the same complaints, Tigger. He dl'ed it for work purposes so he could know what he was doing when clients get "stuck".

One of his other complaints is that it's difficult to switch between the normal Windows 7 and Windows 8 interfaces.

Not to mention all the nanny crap you have to go through to use Windows 8.

I think they're trying to be a little too much like Apple. I understand they are in competition, but I think Windows users are on Windows for a reason.

The first night Ed downloaded 8, I tuned him out.   He pretty much had a mantrum.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 5
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to hate Windows 8.   Snippet from PCWorld:

---------------------
You might argue that Microsoft should have left Windows alone while building a separate tablet OS on the side. But who would use the latter?
Apple iPadWindows PC users would have little incentive to switch, which leaves Microsoft to figure out how to lure prospective iPad buyers. That's a tall order, and it certainly hasn't worked out for Android tablets, which aren't selling very well.
Instead of going that route, Microsoft is using Windows 8 to force the transition for anyone who buys a new PC.
---------------------------------

I don't have a pad device yet though may buy one this year for use on the road.   But would never use it for real work.   As an old command line computer guy, I strongly dislike graphic icons to initiate actions even though they are all over window control bars these days.   Likewise when I'm out at a park and go to a restroom, I'd rather see MEN on a door instead of some d!@# male stick person graphic.    Microsoft has a history of bullying older users for the sake of what their twentysomething next generation marketing department thinks is their future.   Remember the hated ribbon on MSWord and Excel.   I've been forced to learn to use those interfaces but will always prefer the old drop down menu driven interfaces.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My next PC will probably be a Chromebook.
 Post Number: 7
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 19 2012, 4:33 pm)
My next PC will probably be a Chromebook.

I use one of the original Chromebooks. The newest Samsung Chromebook is nice. There are things where I need a PC but for 95% of the things I do the Chromebook is perfect.  

As for Win8 - I hate it.  We are going to skip Win8 and work like we did with Vista.
 Post Number: 8
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a copy of Millennium Edition laying around somewhere you can have...

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 9
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone need a upgrade to Windows 386/2.11?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 10
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not joking when I say I could barely do anything until I was able to limp into a browser and download some utilities to shut off the Windows 8 gestures and such. Browser windows would just disappear, windows would pop up magically (without my consent) and the Metro UI interface kept leaping up into my face. It was honestly painful to the point that I felt like throwing a brand new computer through a window....Windows 8 through windows. I like it. I could stomach Vista but Windows 8 makes me want to vomit. It's the first OS that I seriously am angry that I have to download so I can get used to it so I can help my clients. Steve Jobs can do a better job with an OS....and he's dead.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Nov. 19 2012, 5:40 pm)
Anyone need a upgrade to Windows 386/2.11?

I'm pretty well convinced that a 386 with Windows for Workgroups and Word 2.0a was really all we ever needed.

Unix has always been better, but it's not for the average home user.
 Post Number: 12
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been reading a number of these reports in the past week.  I was hearing positives about Win 8 from a lot of the first few people to download the beta versions, but I'm not liking what I'm hearing nowadays.

Some things in 7 I like.  Others, I don't.  Word is nightmarish whatever version you're using.  Today it was deleting lines of text for me without any input from me whatsoever.  Thankfully I had track changes enabled so I saw right away when it did it.

If it wasn't for GPS/GIS software, I'd be using Linux.  That's one software option that really doesn't have a suite of solid Linux options yet (there are only a couple and they are only okay).

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IIRC Pogue at the NY Times liked some things but thought trying to blend both mobile and desktop into one unified user interface was too compromised.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012....ted=all

Apple's been a bit more gradual with their blending of iOS and OS X, nothing the touchpad on my laptops and magic pad on the desktops hasn't facilitated. Though that may be because I've largely used a Wacom digital tablet and pen as a mouse substitute for close to two decades now. People get confused when they use my setups: the mouse is off to the left for optional use and to the right of the keyboard is my tablet. People sit down and then ask aren't i right handed, which I am, so I explain I need my right hand for number entry and fine work with the pen. Coarse stuff i can do left handed (and at the same time). Well it works for me. :)
 Post Number: 14
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a friend who does corporate internet security and he won't touch it. He recommends to his clients that they should stay with 7 and he won't support 8.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 15
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I played with the beta. I think this will be the next Window ME or Vista.  

Stick with Win7 if you need to run Windows based apps. Though outside the business world, that is getting less essential in most cases.

If you just need web and email access Ubuntu is great for most folks. Toss in OpenOffice & Gimp and you can probably do 90% of your tasks.

If you a gamer then your kinda stuck. But, Steam is making headway in that area

I will not be deploying Win8 on any of our company PC/Laptops anytime soon

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Other than a very, very different user interface what's people's problems with 8?

Security issues would be a huge disappointment, ugly icons are one thing, but developing a new OS and glitching security, especially for enterprise customers, is something that I'd expect to be given the highest priority.
 Post Number: 17
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The User Interface (UI) is the biggest issue.

Each version of MS office after MS Office 2003 had UI changes. People could not help but get frustrated when we deployed MS Office 2007. We stopped and waited. Finally we pushed Office 2010 on them. My CFO still makes me install both versions on his laptop. MS office 2003 and Office 2010. He and everyone else had trouble finding things easier. They got used to it and overall we get fewer and fewer complaints to the helpdesk.

Win8 will be the same. Such a vast departure from what people know. It will be a productivity hit we are not taking.

The UI also lends itself to be best suited for touch devices. Most desktop or laptops are not able to accommodate that so routine task take longer from what I've seen and read

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 18
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

two big complaints I've read about more than once:

certain applications are only accessible from one UI or another, and neither UI is all that intuitive for a lot of folks who have grown accustomed to some UI or another.  switching UI's to access a different program can be a PITA.

MS put ads in some of the built-in apps.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 19
DewChugr Search for posts by this member.
Photoshop God

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Windows 8, even a 12 year old can't do it.

--------------
www.gpsbasecamp.com - Find Yourself Outdoors
 Post Number: 20
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 5:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me, it is all the new gestures. I seriously couldn't move the mouse across the screen without it accidentally opening a window or switching my view. I've been doing IT for 26 years and I couldn't get the features turned off fast enough.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 21 2012, 2:28 am)
For me, it is all the new gestures. I seriously couldn't move the mouse across the screen without it accidentally opening a window or switching my view. I've been doing IT for 26 years and I couldn't get the features turned off fast enough.

Playing devil's advocate... did you feel similar frustrations the first time you had to learn to "mouse over" icons in Windows 2.0 or 3.0 -- when DOS was faster and so much more straightforward?

As I wrote above, I think Win 8 RT is a transition.  I like many of the concepts of Win 8 -- esp. the touch capabilities.  I can easily see myself switching over once the dust has settled -- say Win 9 or 10 -- when one OS can truly be run in all devices because even the tiniest will be more than powerful enough (which isn't the case today).

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 22
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it sure makes me smile that I am retired from the IT field, though I have always felt that an OS should be just that, an OS system, not burdened with all kinds of applications that should be just an add on that the consumer can decide what they need or do not need, way to much overhead added to most OSs in my book.  Think I will just skip this one.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 23
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 3:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I havent tried 8 but everything I have heard about it sounds like I will greatly dislike it. I held on to 2000 as long as I could (I havent really liked any windows since 2000), until a couple years ago when my machine died. During the gap I suffered through using my laptop with vista (it came on it) until earlier this year I built a new desktop and made the switch to Ubuntu Linux. Yeah its different but so far I have actually enjoyed it and got just about everything I need without having to also run windows. A lot of the software has been surprisingly easier to run and use (but not all, of course). So far I am pleased with it, but I am still learning it.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 24
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't fooled much with Win8 yet, we're forced to use Win7 at work, but on all my home computers I am still a confirmed Linux user.
The Gnome desktop has been going through some unwanted changes as well, but I'm stickin' with it; and one of the reasons why is I can basically install any user interface I am comfortable with, and it will run whatever applications I have loaded.

Kinda fun to play around with different 'flavours'.
 Post Number: 25
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 21 2012, 10:00 am)

(Tigger @ Nov. 21 2012, 2:28 am)

Playing devil's advocate... did you feel similar frustrations the first time you had to learn to "mouse over" icons in Windows 2.0 or 3.0 -- when DOS was faster and so much more straightforward?

As I wrote above, I think Win 8 RT is a transition.  I like many of the concepts of Win 8 -- esp. the touch capabilities.  I can easily see myself switching over once the dust has settled -- say Win 9 or 10 -- when one OS can truly be run in all devices because even the tiniest will be more than powerful enough (which isn't the case today).

Sorry Ben. I thought I already responded to this.

My opinion: Windows 8 is a tablet operating system. It is designed to make people switch to tablets as their primary system. It's like trying to shove a gaming system inside of a Television.

No, I did not feel similar frustrations with previous Microsoft Operating Systems. Windows 8 is merely a gimmick. It's Windows 7 with bells and whistles galore with no true enhancement at all for a PC. It belongs on tablets. Touch capability comes from the hardware - not the software. Every client I've ever sold a touch monitor to has used it for a couple months and then switched back to using a mouse, excluding the medical field in which some programs are naturally designed for.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see...

Speaking for myself -- I look forward to ever more powerful -- and efficient -- hardware -- so that maybe with re-unified Windows 9 or 10 -- I only have to own one device -- a full computer that happens to be in lightweight tablet form.

As for desktop users, I believe future ones will all be touch screen -- making future Windows more sensible.  Right now, I think we are in awkward transition...  For me, I'm definitely sticking with Win 7 -- which luckily, I actually enjoy using -- unlike with Win 9x.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I HATE IT!  My wife bought me an early Christmas gift, a Toshiba laptop loaded with windows 8.  I played around with it for 5 minutes and couldn't get anything to work.  It's the most confusing piece of $hit I have ever had to work with.  I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 as soon as possible.  I HATE WINDOWS 8!

I'm typing this on XP by the way, which is just fine.

Did I mention that I HATE WINDOWS 8! :angry:

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 28
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Nov. 29 2012, 4:19 pm)
I HATE IT!  My wife bought me an early Christmas gift, a Toshiba laptop loaded with windows 8.  I played around with it for 5 minutes and couldn't get anything to work.  It's the most confusing piece of $hit I have ever had to work with.  I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 as soon as possible.  I HATE WINDOWS 8!

I'm typing this on XP by the way, which is just fine.

Did I mention that I HATE WINDOWS 8! :angry:

Don't downgrade. I'm hearing issues with driver compatibility. Instead, try the following. I'm using the free stuff they talk about. Just be careful to click on the right links.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/softwar....0009546

--------------
 Post Number: 29
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm abstaining from Windows 8.  I figure there's a 90% chance of it being obsolete before I have a compelling reason to move from Windows 7.
 Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 29 2012, 6:14 pm)
I'm abstaining from Windows 8.  I figure there's a 90% chance of it being obsolete before I have a compelling reason to move from Windows 7.

+1 for me.  Win 7 is running great on my lab workstation, I'm sticking with that until the next odd-number release of Windows comes out.

I haven't yet even touched Win8.  But not a single thing I've heard about it gives me any reason to "upgrade."

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
30 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 1:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Windows 8...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions