2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: thieves cut petroglyphs out< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 11:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2274966

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is just horrible! The individuals that did that should be punished severely and hopefully no one will buy this type of artwork from these individuals.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's really sad. I've never seen those petroglyphs, but my favorite glyphs are over the border in Nevada!

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I visited a too-accessible petroglyph site today, and swarms of people were crawling all over them.  One woman slid on her butt right down the main panel.  Something that can last a thousand years or more in the elements won't survive more than a couple generations of our civilization.  :(
 Post Number: 5
BrettGordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No respect...

--------------
My Hiking, Trekking and Travel Pics and Videos
 Post Number: 6
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that is 'art' and worth money then it's time to start saving those refrigerator drawings . . .

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 24 2012, 6:13 pm)
... then it's time to start saving those refrigerator drawings . . .

There's still a picture on my refrigerator that my then 7-year-old cousin drew over 20 years ago in a game of Pictionary.  It's oddly similar to some petroglyphs, but I kept it because it was such an unexpected embodiment of the word it represented.
 Post Number: 8
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

*sigh

It is not "old graffiti" nor is it "refrigerator drawings". Don't make me go all Frison on you.
 Post Number: 9
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If a kid with a can of spray paint makes an awesome picture on a rock, it's graffiti (considered vandalism).  

If you find a cave where someone scratched stick figures on a wall with blood and berry juice it's a national treasure.  

It's cool that someone 6 bazillion years ago did it. But it's the same damn thing. You can Frison all you want.  I'll be watching football :)

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 10
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Slid her butt down some ancient drawings? Great.People have no respect. When I can't get to the trail, I usually stay home. I can't stand the changes in people over the decades.
 Post Number: 11
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just came back from a week in that area.  It is BIG news there.
Some may liken these petroglyphs to graffiti, the members of local Paiute tribe in the area would certainly disagree.

Graffiti or not graffiti - it's a bummer that a handful of selfish individuals did such damage.
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 25 2012, 8:38 am)
If a kid with a can of spray paint makes an awesome picture on a rock, it's graffiti (considered vandalism).  

If you find a cave where someone scratched stick figures on a wall with blood and berry juice it's a national treasure.  

It's cool that someone 6 bazillion years ago did it. But it's the same damn thing. You can Frison all you want.  I'll be watching football :)

By that logic, your scribblings on this forum are the exact same thing as an original signed copy of the Declaration of Independence.

In theory, they are.  In practice, they're very very different.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
11 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 11:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply thieves cut petroglyphs out
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions