2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Sweet Potato or Yam :: Total Votes:16
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yams 4  [25.00%]
Sweet Potato 9  [56.25%]
Sweet Potatoe 2  [12.50%]
What? 1  [6.25%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sweet Potato or Yam< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:57 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also your thoughts on toppings

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At TG, usually just white potatoes.  Or whatever--my brother-in-law does the spuds.  

Me, I do pie.

The rest of the time, I like the ones that are red, or orange or whatever color you call it.  Not the pale yellow ones.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For T-day, I prefer Sweet Potatoes out of the can just heated over the stove.  They already come with some sort of brown sugar syrup, so nothing added is needed.

I grew up with the miniature marshmallow topping, and outgrew it before I left HS. I have eaten the caramelized pecan topping but prefer to not have nuts in my baked goods.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yams. No topping.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Baked sweet potato, with just a little butter.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet potato. Topped with a healthy dose of chopped pecans, brown sugar/lour, and butter.  Made some for my job's "Thanksgiving Feast".  Can't wait!!  Then I'll get it again on T-Day!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Straight up Mashed Potatoes with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, gravy, and more salt and pepper. I'll save the Yams and Sweet Potatoes for someone else...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For Thanksgiving, I prefer mashed Yukon Golden poatotes.  I do however like baked sweet potatoes with a bit of butter.  That sweet potato cassarole with the marshmallows is vile beyond measure and an affront to all that's right and sacred.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 9
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yams
Toppings ?  ???

Just give me a fork.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 10
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love sweet potatoes with butter, lots of real butter.
For Thanksgiving, though, I want baked yams with pecans,  marshmallows, cinnamon, and brown sugar  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I cook em until slightly soft in the microwave, cool, peel and slice, then drizzle them with melted butter mixed with maple syrup and sprinkle on a little clove, allspice and cinnamon.

And technically, they're all sweet potatoes unless you bought them at an international grocery store.
 Post Number: 12
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are good mashed with a little bit of liquid, spread on parchment paper and dried in the oven or dehyrdator. break em up and eat like a chip.
 Post Number: 13
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sweet potatoes with butter.
 Post Number: 14
Grizzly James Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 20 2012, 11:02 am)
At TG, usually just white potatoes.  Or whatever--my brother-in-law does the spuds.  

Me, I do pie.

The rest of the time, I like the ones that are red, or orange or whatever color you call it.  Not the pale yellow ones.

PIE :)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do believe that was my all time shortest post. Obviously distracted by the subject matter, and a glutton for a well crafted slice of it.  It was a need-jerk reaction, and perhaps a Pavlov thing, I am not sure. I do like pie tho. Why at the Grizzly Thanksgiving, there often times is a dozen different pies to pick from, covering the gamut of culinary libido ticklers. My favorite, whence I can get first tracks, is my beloved coconut pie. How shall I praise thee, oh precious pie. Perfect filling and a delicate crust. Save a slice of yourself for me, and you will have my allegiance all this life long. Ah yes pie. Beautiful pie.

-GJ
 Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 20 2012, 11:31 am)
For Thanksgiving, I prefer mashed Yukon Golden poatotes.

Yep.  My wife switched to Yukon Gold several years ago.  A touch of white pepper, real butter and various other ingredients.  Awesomeness.  Daughter #1 performs the plop test for consistency.
 Post Number: 17
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet potato baked with butter and brown sugar on it and maybe some cinamon. Yams with "secret sauce" on it and of course big marshmellows
 Post Number: 18
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Grizzly James @ Nov. 20 2012, 5:22 pm)

Me, I do pie.

AMEN, BROTHER.

My mother makes the best sweet potato pie in the world.  I've tried others, I'm sur you think your mom's is the best but the truth is:  Mine's is.

The only way I could squeeze a desert into the traditional menu was with a bourbon chocolate pecan pie recipe that took me four years to perfect.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 19
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 20 2012, 6:59 pm)

Me, I do pie.

AMEN, BROTHER.

My mother makes the best sweet potato pie in the world.  I've tried others, I'm sur you think your mom's is the best but the truth is:  Mine's is.

The only way I could squeeze a desert into the traditional menu was with a bourbon chocolate pecan pie recipe that took me four years to perfect.

So it was perfected once you ditched the bourbon, eh?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 20 2012, 7:10 pm)

Me, I do pie.

AMEN, BROTHER.

Uh, No.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 20 2012, 7:21 pm)

(no_granola @ Nov. 20 2012, 7:10 pm)

Me, I do pie.

AMEN, BROTHER.

Uh, No.

Bourbon chocolate pecan pie you say? You've peaked my attention old chap. An abiding dish sounds like. A work of art, and I am keenly jealous.

-GJ
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Four years of work.

Strangers sing hosannas.

My family refuses me without them.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm tempted to send you the recipe, as I know you predilections,

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 20 2012, 8:50 pm)
I'm tempted to send you the recipe, as I know you predilections,

I'm tempted to let you put said recipe in my inbox, given I have a pie problem that is not treatable in this life time.

Your family forsakes you with out it! This pie smacks of the dark arts. It could get me in trouble.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Grizzly James @ Nov. 20 2012, 9:03 pm)
It could get me in trouble.

Yes.  Yes, it could.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been reduced to penury before family gatherings to produce said pies.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't do it.  You can't have the recipe.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I understand, that would be a heavy load for your conscience to bear, even though if anybody could handle your pie, I  think I would be a worthy candidate. I will sign papers if i must.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Grizzly James @ Nov. 20 2012, 9:27 pm)
I understand, that would be a heavy load for your conscience to bear, even though if anybody could handle your pie, I  think I would be a worthy candidate. I will sign papers if i must.

Send me an email...i'm thinking you deserve

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then again

--------------
31 replies since Nov. 20 2012, 10:57 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sweet Potato or Yam
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions