2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Why you don't go camping during high winds!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 1:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hunter kiled when tree falls on his tent.

From the article:  "Two hunters in an adjacent camp heard the tree snap and saw it lying across the tent. They cut it away in an attempt to rescue the man, but could not save him, according to Perry Sherbaugh of Nehalem Bay Fire & Rescue said.   ...   Sherbaugh said the other hunters in the man's party had left as the storm approached.   ...   Sherbaugh added that people need to be especially aware of their surroundings during a powerful storm like this one."

So, don't be going out in the woods when high winds are supposed to be coming.  Ldyblade is from logging country and a logger family, she has warned me all about this kinda danger.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Earlier this year I thought I had read about a woman who left her tent during a wind storm to seek safety in her car.  A tree feel on the car killing her.  But I can't dig up the story.
 Post Number: 3
Grizzly James Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah yes, it can happen. It is wise to assess your trees when pitching camp, especially if severe weather has happened upon thee. Watching a tree fall is at once an engaging experience, one in which you shall not think of anything else other than the sight at hand. But it is something else entirely to hear one cracking in the night, falling at random to the earth, whilst you can only pray that your number has not been pulled. Desert campers got it made I guess, leastwise when it comes to falling trees.
 Post Number: 4
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One summer school morning here, a bus driver only months away from 20 years accident free, pulled up to a stop sign and a tree, a 80 foot spruce, fell on the bus. A short special Ed bus but full of kids. The roof was crushed down onto the seat backs but the seat backs are tall and no one was injured except one boy with a broken nose.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got caught by a freak storm at the lake this July.  Car camping so I threw my tote boxes in the tent(that had not been staked down yet) and took shelter under the tarp over my hammock.  It didn't do much good against the horizontal rain and hail until I dropped a corner and hunkered down.  My tent, with about 50 pounds of stuff on the floor, got rolled and stuff got wet.  The wind was snapping live maples.  I was talking to God about letting me in.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We were in an early spring ice storm in yellowstone where the trees were snapping like matchsticks.  Our first clue was the one that landed parallel to the tent, about four feet away.  Fortunately, it was the top end of a lodgepole pine, so our tent was just grazed by the top wispy branches.  I've paid more attention to that sort of thing before pitching the tent since that experience, but in some of those tight lodgepole forests, it's tough to find a truly safe spot.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 5:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hit my highest peak of wind this last Spring. Hit over 100 mph for two days with snow blowing strong enough to lay down five fresh feet. We just held fast at camp and decided it was safest to just stay put. I'll not soon forget it. Luckily, we had built a relatively strong wind block the second night after wishing we had a taller one on the night before. We made sure to be clear of the neighboring trees and decided that the lake edge was our safest place. However, it was the much calmer winds and rain that made us bolt out as quickly as we could. Branches from the heavy wet stuff clacking about made for a hairy hike out.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only place I've gone camping with winds is in the desert!

I have posted several times about accessing for hazard trees - even if it's not windy it is a wise thing to do.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Nov. 21 2012, 7:21 am)
I have posted several times about accessing for hazard trees - even if it's not windy it is a wise thing to do.

Ldyblade always checks for hazard trees and "widow makers" whenever we setup camp.  More than a few times I have had to move the tent whenever she doesn't like the look a the site.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 20 2012, 6:49 pm)
I got caught by a freak storm at the lake this July.  Car camping so I threw my tote boxes in the tent(that had not been staked down yet) and took shelter under the tarp over my hammock.  It didn't do much good against the horizontal rain and hail until I dropped a corner and hunkered down.  My tent, with about 50 pounds of stuff on the floor, got rolled and stuff got wet.  The wind was snapping live maples.  I was talking to God about letting me in.

You know I had a similar story but I was in my truck for a short trip to the local lake.  I was with my one year old son and was getting him out of the house so my wife could finish a nasty reno project.  Went down to the lake in the truck, sunny at my house, black as night a mile away.  The winds roared stronger than I ever heard.  The rain was coming down in buckets with hail mixed in for good measure.  My son, stoic, just taking it all in I guess (and thinking his father is a moron).  I thought about bailing but I couldn't see anything.  The area is heavy wooded and there were power lines around the street.  I figured the safest thing to do was stay put.  We were sorta in the open but still got hit with plenty of small debris.  Once the rain stopped I got the hell out of there.  I couldn't go the way I came cause there was a huge tree across the street with power lines down.  The other way I was dodging downed power lines and 8" diameter limbs all over the place.  Never was I so happy to be home.  My wife said it rained a little at the house when we got home.  I couldn't believe it.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
9 replies since Nov. 20 2012, 1:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Why you don't go camping during high winds!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions