2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: Backpack and my son in the front pack!, Upper Winter Creek Trail, Angeles NF< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trip was only 3 miles - but yes, it was quite difficult as I had everything for both my 9 month old son and me on my back (40 lbs?) - and him on my front (22 lbs)!  I joked and said he was counterbalancing my pack!

This was the only way I could backpack with my son, being unable to recruit anyone lately who was willing to go and carry some things for me.  The first time we went was when he was 6 months old and I carried him in his backpack along with a few things, and Serpicorabbit carried the rest.  This time we went with my good friend Sonya who is too petite to shoulder more of a load than her own gear. But at least we had someone to go with :)

We hiked on a beautiful trail in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains - the Upper Winter Creek Trail from Chantry Flat to Hoegee's Camp.  It is 3 miles of gorgeous colors this time of year as the big leaf maples in the canyon bottoms turn gold to highlight the evergreen live oaks, California bay laurel, and Douglas fir.  

The trail climbs and countours around the southern slopes of Mt. Wilson, alternating between sun-facing sides of manzanita and yucca and shady damp shady sides of moss and fern.  What a lovely place to go this time of year when the higher elevations are already getting snow...  And since the foothills have gotten rain the chaparral is so very fragrant!  If you've never hiked in chaparral after a rain you haven't hiked ;)

Hoegees Camp lies along Winter Creek which bubbles pleasantly down the steep rocky canyon.  The camp has been here a long while, and there are several campsites each with a table and an ancient wood stove branded with USFS.  There are also quaint Forest Service lease cabins nearby.  These and other nearby cabins are reachable only by trail, serviced by Southern California's only remaining pack station.  They have been here so long they too are moss covered and sometimes you miss one hiding between the boulders and oak trees.  They look like they are from a fairy tale!  There is no electricity, but there is an old phone line in the canyon linking the cabins to the outside world.

We were the only ones to stay the night at Hoegees and we enjoyed a mostly quiet night save for a couple of owls hooting in the darkness.  When you are back by yourself in these dark lush green canyons so close to the hustle and bustle of LA below, yet so far away, it is quite magical.  

We did have one mishap, though - Sonya went to go empty her leftover chicken broth down the pit toilet - and she lost grip of her Orikaso bowl!  Needless to say the bowl is gone and isn't coming back :p

In the morning we woke early, had breakfast, packed up, and headed out.  My son loved to wave at people we passed on the trail and also had fun carrying big maple leaves and waving them like flags :)

So his second backpacking trip was a success!  And twice as far as the first - and a lot harder for mom!  But totally worth it!

See the cabins?

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And more pics here :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarol/sets/72157632063244850/

--------------
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, you are getting out a lot right now!  Good for you--tough to haul those loads.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Way to get out there!

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 20 2012, 11:09 pm)
Wow, you are getting out a lot right now!  Good for you--tough to haul those loads.

I was never really good at staying home :p  

Before I got pregnant, and for the first few months of pregnancy, I was backpacking once/month.  I aim to get back there, if not backpacking then at least car camping :)

It was definitely a load - I haven't carried that much weight since Santa Cruz Island a year and a half ago when we had to carry all our water for two days.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More adventures with tarol and Little T  :)  He's a lucky little guy, having a mom like you to get him out in the woods and camping at a young age.

Keep the photos of you carrying him and your gear to show him how you carried EVERYTHING, including him. Someday he needs to pay you back by carrying ALL of your stuff  :D

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 7
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, someday when he's old and strong enough and Mom's gettin old will be payback time :)

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forgot to mention that I had found some dehydrated baby food by Nurtur Me, peas and apples, and I brought both on the trip.  He normally loves both, but didn't like the dehydrated versions, lol  Good thing was Sonya brought a real banana and I had yoghurt snacks, cereal, and extra formula for him!

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Nice pics...cute lad...sturdy lass...!!

:D
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bummer about the food rejections!  Funny how the same critters that put everything in their mouths suddenly clam up when it comes to their food!

I was lucky--the DH was our packhorse, though my pack when carrying baby and assorted gear was heavy enough.  Back then our gear was so much heavier--and bulkier.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I am sturdy, and brave - everyone we passed on the trail said, "Wow."  After we were out of earshot they probably said she's crazy, lol

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The dehydrated baby food was only 40 cents at Big Lots for 8 packets, so no big loss.  I should've tried it beforehand, but I've been so busy lately!  And we brought other food, so we were okay.  I'm thinking now I can mix it with his cereal and he might like it better...

And, yes, lightweight gear helps - especially since I think his gear weighs more than mine!  His Kelty Woobie sleeping bag is 2 pounds, but it keeps him snug as a bug.  And he sleeps on a Thermarest.  I use a down quilt and an air pad.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet  :)

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 14
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very awesome.  I thought I was the only crazy one who'd have tried that.

Looked like you had a wonderful time.  Now I'm wishing my daughter wasn't going to be walking until the summer so I could do the same.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 15
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Nov. 21 2012, 11:51 am)
Yes, I am sturdy, and brave - everyone we passed on the trail said, "Wow."  After we were out of earshot they probably said she's crazy, lol

Hi...

And, I want to thank you for my first chuckle of the pee em...!!

:D
 Post Number: 16
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm jealous, will you carry me too? :)
 Post Number: 17
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol, sorry, I'm not about to carry anybody more than about 20 lbs right now :p

--------------
16 replies since Nov. 20 2012, 8:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: Backpack and my son in the front pack!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions