2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: HELP!, Black Thursday< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 9:57 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Please stop me before I spend again!!!  Black Friday is on Thursday and I can’t help myself.  If my wife could reach through the phone, she would probably strangle me right now.  Well she won’t know about it all until she checks the credit card account.  That’ll give me some time to come up with a good story.  Maybe my working down here in LA is a good thing even if I am missing having that wonderful Thanksgiving meal at home.
Happy Thanksgiving and happy bargain hunting everybody.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I shared my opinion of "black Friday" on Facebook.  It seems worth repeating here.

Yesterday MSN.com had a little survey about black Friday. Only 10% of the respondents admitted to participating in the madness. Personally I damn the day that the media used the term. Yes, it is true that for many retailers that is the first day of the year that they operate in the black. Some do not realize just how critical the next few weeks are to the survival of many businesses. However, as it often happens, the marketers have taken it too far. Events that actually deserve the term... Oct 29, 1929 Black Tuesday, April 14, 1935 Black Sunday. NOT the day after Thanksgiving.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even though it is a good day for retailers, I don't understand why people get so hyped up over Black Friday. It's a shame a lot of folks get caught up in the excitement, spend more money than they should, and end up in debt.

I don't do Black Friday simply because I don't like crowds, and I especially detest shopping. Tomorrow, I will happily be at work  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are 363 shopping days in the year (365 online).   Some retail workers don't mind the extra hours and pay -- but many others who desire to spend this one evening with their families can't!   But apparently, enough folks out there just want 'a good deal' for themselves...

As a society, I think we have misplaced our priorities...

Happy Thanksgiving!  Because we do have a lot to be thankful for!  :)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Nov. 22 2012, 9:50 am)
Even though it is a good day for retailers, I don't understand why people get so hyped up over Black Friday. It's a shame a lot of folks get caught up in the excitement, spend more money than they should, and end up in debt.

I don't do Black Friday simply because I don't like crowds, and I especially detest shopping. Tomorrow, I will happily be at work  :)

I am starting a grass roots campaign.  I refuse to capitalize the b in black when referring to the day after TG.   It does NOT deserve that attention.   Oh and it was good for retailers long before the term was coined and the idiotic hype kicked in. 

-----------------

I will support small businesses any time I can.   The only thing I will likely spend money on tomorrow is a meal at the airport before my flight to NV.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 6
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You!  Stop buying crap.

You don't need it.  You can live without it.  You're pissing off your wife.

Do you really need that misery?
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Nov. 22 2012, 8:50 am)

What she said, only I won't be working.  Actually, before the weekend is out I do need to get to my favorite running shoe store and get a new pair of shoes. Gotta do it this weekend because there isn't a store near us that carries them (besides, here at the in-laws I can support a local store instead of a giant chain).  And I may take a stroll through the local hardware store, a magical place that has two sides--the hardware and the kitchen ware, specializing in the sort of stuff you need for old-style cooking (canning supplies and the like).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 22 2012, 12:20 pm)
You!  Stop buying crap.

You’re right.  I CAN stop.  Just because it’s on sale, doesn’t mean I have to buy it!  I have enormous reserves of willpower; I can control my urge to spend.  OR --- Maybe I should buy something nice for my wife to make up for it.  I think Backcountry has some girly stuff.   Yeah – That’s the ticket.
 Post Number: 9
bhuebner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dude, I just talked to your wife and she said go on and have fun and buy some sweet gear. She knows you're a responsible big boy and will only go a little bit overboard. She also said you're going to eat her dust on the trail for that girly comment.

--------------
Brian
TrailPotato
 Post Number: 10
bhuebner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yeah, she also said you can read this article for some ideas on how to save on gear.

--------------
Brian
TrailPotato
 Post Number: 11
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bhuebner @ Nov. 22 2012, 9:29 pm)
Oh yeah, she also said you can read this article for some ideas on how to save on gear.

Really with the spam?  It's great that you have a blog.  Put it in your sig.  If you want to participate on the forums here you might earn some respect and  actually get some meaningful traffic.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 6:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 22 2012, 12:20 pm)
You!  Stop buying crap.

You're right.  I'll call a lawyer...
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What really ticks me off is the stores that open Thursday afternoon or evening.  I will not patronize these establishments from now until Christmas.  I don't care how low their prices are.  Thanksgiving is a national holiday and should be spend with family, and these stores are clearly placing their own profits over their employees.

The only "Black Friday" special I got was a new Nook for my wife at Barnes and Noble.  They only opened at 8:00 (an hour early) and I didn't get there until 9:00.  They had plenty....not 5 like some of be big box retailers specials.
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LameBeaver,
I'm with you on those stores that place profits before their employees.  Ove at one of our malls all the little stores along with the big ones had to be open starting  at 10 PM on Thanksgiving Day. Some of the small stores owners I talked to were not too pleased as they knew they would get no business and so would actually lose money rather than make any money.
 Post Number: 15
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too agree about making people work on Thanksgiving. I don't agree with that. I am a pro business person, but that is over any line. There plenty of days to sell your product. And if I am a business and operating in the red for 11 months of the year, I should really rethink my business model. I think this is a marketing tactic more than anything. So let your employees enjoy the holiday that was set aside for time with family. Not shoppers.
 Post Number: 16
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The small town where we spent a lot of out Thanksgivings actually completely opens the few stores there are Thanksgiving morning for last minute Meal necessities - but by 2 PM every store closes home, the motels send the maids home, and only essential people work.  In fact before we found a cabin with a kitchen we were shocked to find ourselves driving to the next town for dinner because not one restaurant was open. I love that. Did not get there this year, but I love that.

on the other hand THis fighting over iphones at Walmart!  NO WAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlIKp6IKUMw

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 17
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't spend any money Thursday or Friday :)  Spent the time with my family instead.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 18
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ Nov. 23 2012, 7:53 pm)
I too agree about making people work on Thanksgiving. I don't agree with that. I am a pro business person, but that is over any line.

I hear this a lot, but not sure I agree.  Not everyone minds working on a holiday, of course some do, but that's the life you sign up for when you take a job in retail.  

Why doesn't anyone complain about the pilots, flight attendants, fast food workers, gas station attendants, police and firemen that have to work holidays?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 19
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spent most of black Friday shelling pecans and watching football, ended up with 3 gallon bags full of shelled pecans and raw finger tips.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
18 replies since Nov. 22 2012, 9:57 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply HELP!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions