2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best Mobile application to Access BP forum?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LuckySomer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love how easy it is to access my 3 other favorite forums (Lightroom, MTBR and XDA) from my android phone.  But I have a hole in my life when it comes to accessing the Backpacker Forum.  

Is there an application that this forum is associated to?  

If not Tapatalk seems to be the best to tie your forum to.  I bet it would at least double the number of posts.  

thanks for your help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are a funny person.  :)   I have not tried to access this forum on my android phone since I'm sure they have not bothered to create an app that will make viewing it on a small screen easier.  This software is horribly outdated.   Maybe in another decade or two.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL, this post must be a joke.  I think they'd just as soon delete the forums before they updated them sufficiently to tie in with a mobile app.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oddly enough, when I read the OP, I thought it was marketing tapatalk.  Not sure why anyone would ask for an app to connect to this place.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a great mobile app to connect via iPhone and (like now) iPad!!

SAFARI.
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So now using a browser is too difficult?  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tapatalk is free and makes viewing forums on small screens a whole lot easier.

When I go to backpacker on my Blackberry, the pop up for their subscription comes up and is impossible to cancel. I don't view the forum from my phone because the forum software sucks.

Good luck to the original poster with trying to convince the magazine to add on anything. That might require work.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get the subscription solicitation, I hit the red circle with the "X" in it inits top right corner and it goes away.

Surprised such a basic function fails in other mobile browsers.

Granted its easier to hit on the pad, but a bit of pinch zooming and it's easy enough even on my iPhone 5.
 Post Number: 9
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have posted from my ipod touch in Safari, but it's clumsy on the small screen.  Some of the links (like getting to a specific page number in a thread) are sooo tiny that I have to pinch-to-zoom way too much in order to hit it that I can't see enough else.

The subscription popup is one of the easier things to manage, IMO.  It's other aspects of navigating the forums (more fundamental forum software problems) that make accessing via a small mobile device such a pain.

Nowadays, though, I think it is pretty senseless not to have a mobile version of your website.  I added a plugin to my site for mobile users, and I now get a pretty significant amount of traffic from mobile sources.  And my website doesn't help me earn a dime from ads or sales or otherwise.  

I do use tapatalk on my ipod touch to access a few forums, too.  I like the interface, but this site will never go that way considering the excuses we've all heard about how forum logins are tied into multiple spots across the site and other forum software would break that functionality.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 10
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Nov. 22 2012, 4:24 pm)
I have posted from my ipod touch in Safari, but it's clumsy on the small screen.  Some of the links (like getting to a specific page number in a thread) are sooo tiny that I have to pinch-to-zoom way too much in order to hit it that I can't see enough else.

The subscription popup is one of the easier things to manage, IMO.  It's other aspects of navigating the forums (more fundamental forum software problems) that make accessing via a small mobile device such a pain.

Nowadays, though, I think it is pretty senseless not to have a mobile version of your website.  I added a plugin to my site for mobile users, and I now get a pretty significant amount of traffic from mobile sources.  And my website doesn't help me earn a dime from ads or sales or otherwise.  

I do use tapatalk on my ipod touch to access a few forums, too.  I like the interface, but this site will never go that way considering the excuses we've all heard about how forum logins are tied into multiple spots across the site and other forum software would break that functionality.

I read and post here almost exclusively using Chrome on the iPhone.  My biggest problem is that I sometimes bump the next field button, which clicks one of the National Park quick links in the top left, and I lose whatever message I'm composing.  

RSS functionality would be pretty nice.
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used the browser on my phone a few times.  It's painful.  Other sites are much more mobile-friendly, but I don't really care.  No site is more than barely adequate on a phone, and apart from reading the news, my mobile usage is all about finding places.
10 replies since Nov. 22 2012, 12:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best Mobile application to Access BP forum?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions