2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thanksgiving - Then and Now< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 12:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, maybe a bit nostalgic for the past and a bit exaggerated for the present, but...

Then...

Now...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was then...

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Nov. 24 2012, 9:45 am)
This was then...

How right you are, Woodsie.   :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Nov. 24 2012, 12:45 pm)
This was then...

fattening up the natives so they couldn't run as fast when the slaughter began....
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember my mom and my aunt getting into a big fight one Thanksgiving.......

As Billy Joel said:  "The good old days weren't always good" (and tomorrow's not as bad as it seems).
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Nov. 24 2012, 5:53 pm)

This was then...

fattening up the natives so they couldn't run as fast when the slaughter began....

Handing out smallpox-laden biscuits...

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was then...

I learned that it was the Native Americans who provided the food to the Pilgrims?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 24 2012, 12:13 pm)
OK, maybe a bit nostalgic for the past and a bit exaggerated for the present, but...

Then...

Hey, how come Aunt Jemima ain't serving that turkey?
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotta say our TG looked more like the Norman Rockwell version than the shopping version.

But probably not much like the first TG.  As they had neither flour nor sugar, they clearly missed the best parts :D

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every time I see that Rockwell picture, I chuckle.  In every home I have ever been in, where there was a turkey anywhere near that size, the woman asked for help with carrying the bird.  Damn things weigh a ton!  That woman isn't even straining.  She must have been going to the gym and lifting weights to get ready for her performance.  :)  

And there is too much clear table in the center.  Where are all of the other dishes filled with sides and rolls?  There is a reason why so many of us use the buffet style serving on busy holidays.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 26 2012, 12:53 pm)
And there is too much clear table in the center.  Where are all of the other dishes filled with sides and rolls?  There is a reason why so many of us use the buffet style serving on busy holidays.

Also, where are wine glasses and beer bottles?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good points all!  We carve the turkey in the kitchen and only put out a platter with slices.  And no beer, but everyone gets a wine glass,and since many don't drink, we have a couple kinds of wine and three or so bottles of sparkling cider.  Then there's the stuffing, spuds, salad, veggies . . .

But you know, grandmas were tough in those days.  My grandma used to make a dozen loaves of bread three times a week, had a wringer washer, etc. You think you could have beat her arm-wrestling?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who lets children sit at the adult table?

And I see no whisky...  Rockwell was so cute.
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And the celery.  Everyone knows the center stalks.....the ones with the leaves, go in the stuffing.

Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh you cynical bunch!  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 16
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My family is way more American mixed-breed than the Rockwell ideal.

And I work in retail.  The reality is much worse than the sensational fight vids.
 Post Number: 17
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 26 2012, 5:28 pm)
Who lets children sit at the adult table?

And I see no whisky...  Rockwell was so cute.

How true we always we at a table in another room as a kid.  The adults got the white meat and the kids what ever was left.  

Alcohol was there but was hidden more or less from us kids but we knew what was going on.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 26 2012, 2:52 pm)
The reality is much worse than the sensational fight vids.

Sad testament to our 'civil' society today...  :(

--------------
 Post Number: 19
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 26 2012, 12:53 pm)
Every time I see that Rockwell picture, I chuckle.  In every home I have ever been in, where there was a turkey anywhere near that size, the woman asked for help with carrying the bird.  Damn things weigh a ton!  That woman isn't even straining.  She must have been going to the gym and lifting weights to get ready for her performance.  :)  

Back then, women were women.
 Post Number: 20
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not so sure about that.  My grandmothers were born before 1900 and were raised on farms, doing laundry with a wringer washer or a wash board, and lots of other chores that made them strong.  Even they asked for help moving the bird onto the table, or out of the oven.  

Yes, I am old.  My dad was born in 1923 and my mother in 1925.  Neither was the first child of their family.  My maternal grandmother was born 1893, in Kansas.   My paternal grandmother was born in Alabama.  Both of them were tough birds in their own right.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 21
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Considering it is me, the husband, the three kids and my brother...we all eat at one table. No kids table. No booze. But we do have pies. Lots and lots of pies.

And no 25 lb weight lifting turkey ;-) Thankful for that!! The leftovers would be so gross for our small family.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 22
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke, I'm close behind you.  My dad was born in '28, my mom in '27.

Farms, yes.  Hand washing, yes.  Wringer if you were lucky, rub board if you weren't.  Pigs, chickens, squash, tomatos...  Fish, rabbit, squirrel... whatever you could grow or catch.

One of my neighbors had cattle when he was young (we live on some of their old ranch land).  There's a story about a steer who kept getting out.  One day his grandmother, about 5 feet tall on a good day, got fed up.  She grabbed a cast iron skillet, found the steer, bashed it between the eyes, and led it back.

It never went outside of the fences again.

When women were women and pans were cast iron, not aluminum with non-stick coatings.

My paternal grandparents paid the shady quasi-doctor with chickens, ice cream, or not at all.  I have it so incredibly easy by comparison.  Radiant floor heat, air conditioning, silnylon...  Made in the shade...
21 replies since Nov. 24 2012, 12:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Thanksgiving - Then and Now
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions