2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: How Many Countries Have You Visited (Ex USA)? :: Total Votes:59
Poll choices Votes Statistics
0 4  [6.78%]
1 to 10 37  [62.71%]
11 to 20 7  [11.86%]
21 to 50 9  [15.25%]
51 to 100 1  [1.69%]
101 to 150 0  [0.00%]
151 to 195 0  [0.00%]
196!!! 1  [1.69%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How Many Countries Have You Visited (Ex USA)?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rumidude's post got me curious as to how widely-traveled we are?   Outside of our own US of A -- how many countries have you visited?

And what constitutes a country?  For this purpose, a country is counted if is one of the 193 listed in the UN -- or any of the three additional listed below:

o  Kosovo
o  Palestine
o  Vatican City

Oh, airport transits don't count!  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How is this different than the other poll? Incomplete poll.
 Post Number: 3
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala.   I would travel much more if time and finances allowed.

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 4
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not enough!  

Canada
Mexico
England
Ireland
France

But, my travels tend to be more nature oriented than culture oriented and as such, I still have a lot to see in our own country.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Nov. 27 2012, 10:46 am)
How is this different than the other poll? Incomplete poll.

I separated out "0" -- just for you.   :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does Berkeley count?
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canada and Mexico...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 27 2012, 2:01 pm)
Does Berkeley count?

No.  Country implies that it's still of this world and dimension.  Berkley can make a strong case against both of those.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 9
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canada
Mexico
Guatemala
Honduras
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Panama
Ecuador
Switzerland
France
Spain
Italy
Texas
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texas?  Spell it Tejas and it might just qualify...  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 11
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canada, Mexico, British Virgin Islands, St Kitts, Italy, Kenya, Netherlands.  I think they all have Olympic teams, as well.  Spain is on the calendar for next Sept.

I counted the Vatican City as part of Italy, even though they do not.  How can it be a country if it doesn't have a beer?

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, BVI can count for UK, as it is UK's territory.

Spain is one of my favorites!  Be sure to visit the Alhambra in the southern city of Grenada!

--------------
 Post Number: 13
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canada
France, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia (back then), Monaco, Italy
Sweden, Denmark, Norway
UK
Nevis (St Kitts &), St Martin, BVI, St Lucia, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Dominican Republic
Greece
Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala
Japan

I think some of the islands are technically territories but, frankly, living in the BVI had very little to do with living in the UK and you'll never convince a BVIslander that they live in the same country as a Caymanian.  On the other hand, I don't differentiate the Vatican from Italy.  I've probably forgotten a place or two but doubt that I'd get to the 50 mark anyway.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Nov. 27 2012, 11:41 am)
...[B]ut, frankly, living in the BVI had very little to do with living in the UK...

Impressive list, Tigerfan!

You are right about the contrast, but in "country counting" -- when you visit most any inhabited piece of land, it belongs to some country or another -- and is counted as such.

As an example, it might seem strange for a foreigner who has only ever been to Guam to say that she has been to USA.  But then, it would also be illogical to travel to a United States territory and then claim to have never, ever been to the US.

So in your case, BVI counts as one country under UK.  Of course, when you do visit England or Scotland, neither would be counted again.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 27 2012, 11:10 am)
How can it be a country if it doesn't have a beer?

Why do you hate Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan and Iran and...   :p

--------------
 Post Number: 16
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canada
Mexico
Panama
Argentina
Iceland
Norway
Finland
Italia
Germany
UK
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Tanzania

Some of this was while I was in the US Air Force

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't 'vote' in my own poll, but thus far, I've been to 61 countries:

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Brunei
Cambodia
Canada
China (mainland and Taiwan)
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
East Timor
Egypt
France (only Paris and Martinique)
Greece
Grenada
Guatemala
Haiti
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Korea, South
Laos
Malaysia
Malta
Mexico
Mongolia
Morocco
Myanmar
Nicaragua
Palestine
Panama
Philippines
Poland
Portugal (and Azores)
Russia
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Martin (Netherlands)
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
San Marino
Singapore
Spain
Sri Lanka
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey
Ukraine
United Kingdom (plus Gibraltar and BVI)
United States
Uzbekistan
Vatican City
Vietnam

I plan to visit S. America in the next two years or so.  I also hope to visit sub-Sahara Africa before I get too old and decrepit.  Now that will really jack up one's country count!  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 18
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure but the 52 page passports don't last all that long for me...
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:06 pm)

So you're the one who ticked "50 to 100" above?   :)

--------------
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:09 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:06 pm)

So you're the one who ticked "50 to 100" above?   :)

Nope, did a null as I really have no total in mind.
 Post Number: 21
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:06 pm)
Can't 'vote' in my own poll, but thus far, I've been to 61 countries:

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Brunei
Cambodia
Canada
China (mainland and Taiwan)
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
East Timor
Egypt
France (only Paris and Martinique)
Greece
Grenada
Guatemala
Haiti
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Korea, South
Laos
Malaysia
Malta
Mexico
Mongolia
Morocco
Myanmar
Nicaragua
Palestine
Panama
Philippines
Poland
Portugal (and Azores)
Russia
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Martin (Netherlands)
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
San Marino
Singapore
Spain
Sri Lanka
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey
Ukraine
United Kingdom (plus Gibraltar and BVI)
United States
Uzbekistan
Vatican City
Vietnam

I plan to visit S. America in the next two years or so.  I also hope to visit sub-Sahara Africa before I get too old and decrepit.  Now that will really jack up one's country count!  :D

I can't believe you haven't been to Texas.
You really should try to get out more Ben.
 Post Number: 22
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 27 2012, 2:56 pm)
As an example, it might seem strange for a foreigner who has only ever been to Guam to say that she has been to USA.  But then, it would also be illogical to travel to a United States territory and then claim to have never, ever been to the US.

Well, I have UK, Caymans and BVI listed separately.  And I see it differently or, at least, not as simply.

MOST BVIslanders would tell you that they've "never, ever" been to the UK and would certainly never call themselves "British".  They're "BVIslanders", carry a different passport and have a specific BVI citizenship (belonger) status that's not given to the British expats living there.

Imo, the fact that the Saint Lucia is a soverign island while the BVI isn't is just a technicality.  From the perspective of a cultural visitor (i.e. "traveler"), I think the BVI, Cayman Islands, England, Scotland and Ireland are ALL different "countries".

A superset of the Olympic Nations and UN member nations would at least make more sense.  JMO.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Nov. 27 2012, 1:15 pm)

(Ben2World @ Nov. 27 2012, 2:56 pm)

Well, I have UK, Caymans and BVI listed separately.  And I see it differently or, at least, not as simply.

MOST BVIslanders would tell you that they've "never, ever" been to the UK and would certainly never call themselves "British".  They're "BVIslanders", carry a different passport and have a specific BVI citizenship (belonger) status that's not given to the British expats living there.

Imo, the fact that the Saint Lucia is a soverign island while the BVI isn't is just a technicality.  From the perspective of a cultural visitor (i.e. "traveler"), I think the BVI, Cayman Islands, England, Scotland and Ireland are ALL different "countries".

A superset of the Olympic Nations and UN member nations would at least make more sense.  JMO.

And that's why we have different lists floating around.  I think I once saw a list with 260 'countries'!!    Bottom line:  we just need to use the one that makes the most sense to us.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 24
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's see I live in Japan but I still counted it:

Japan
China
Korea
Thailand
Singapore
Malaysia
Cambodia
Indonesia
East Timor
Kuwait
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
Bahrain
U. A. E.
Egypt
Kenya
Somalia
Djibouti
U.K.
Ireland
Italy
France
Belgium
Germany
Bosnia-Herzigovina
Turkey
Jamaica
Canada
Mexico

The "to-do" list for the next few years includes:  Nepal, New Zealand, Portugal, & hopefully Brazil for the 2014 W.C.

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
 Post Number: 25
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's see...

Canada
Mexico
Costa Rica
Germany
Conch Republic
Louisiana
And...Texas!

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 26
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

China,(mainlad, Macau &  Hong Kong)
Mexico
Canada
(all of listed above several times).
England
Costa Rica
Japan

If military counts:
Vietnam, Hong Kong.

And I've been to countless places in the USA Ben has never been to, such as Yosemite (more times than I could count).

Unlike Ben, I don't skip the lower page numbers of his favorite quote.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 27
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been to England, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Peru, Canada, Mexico (very briefly, probably shouldn't count it), Turkey, and Greece.  I know it doesn't count as it's own country, but i've been to Puerto Rico as well--in some ways it felt like going to another country.  

Doubt i will be visiting any more countries in the near future as finances are tighter than ever, but when we have traveled in the past we usually do it unusually cheap--stay at hostels or do couch surfing, search high and low for good plane tickets, etc.

I'm pretty amazed at your list Ben!  My wife would probably love you just for that alone.  I affectionately call her a travel whore.  She's been to twice as many countries as i have.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiroshimajaro082 @ Nov. 27 2012, 2:40 pm)
Saudi Arabia

Oh man, I wish I could get a tourist visa (or even a transit visa) without having to spend thousands on a package tour!!  :(

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LiteMan @ Nov. 27 2012, 3:05 pm)
My wife would probably love you just for that alone.  I affectionately call her a travel whore.

Ha ha... travel whore... I love her already!   :D  Kidding aside, I hope your finances will start growing fast and furious -- and you can travel again.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Nov. 27 2012, 3:01 pm)
And I've been to countless places in the USA Ben has never been to, such as Yosemite (more times than I could count).

Unlike Ben, I don't skip the lower page numbers of his favorite quote.

-Don-

Tsk tsk... why compare?  :;):

Truth be told, when traveling abroad, it's culture, the arts, architecture, history, economics, politics... that captivate me.  And when traveling here at home, it's Nature.

You have been to three of the four China's.  Unfortunately, you are missing out on the friendliest and most hospitable one:  Taiwan!  A modern country to be sure, but scratch beneath the surface, and it's Chinese traditions that are still lived day to day.

--------------
83 replies since Nov. 27 2012, 1:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How Many Countries Have You Visited (Ex USA)?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions