2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Buy it where you burn it!, important message about firewood< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be aware that firewood can harbor insects and diseases; transporting it can move these pests to new locations.   So buy it where you burn it!  

http://firewood.ca.gov/index.html

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

May be to late for the Ash trees in the Smoky's.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news....n-great

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
2itchyfeet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wisconsin prohibits transporting wood more than ten miles and still the ash trees are in trouble.
 Post Number: 4
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Missori has the same rule w/ the Ash Beetle. :(

Thanks for the reminder.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 5
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Nov. 28 2012, 8:34 am)
May be to late for the Ash trees in the Smoky's.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news....n-great

Almost every single dead Ash tree i've cut for firewood in the past 18 months has been full of ash borer larve.  East TN is likely to loose its Ash tree population...which is also a shame for Morel hunters, as Morels love to grow beneath an ash tree.
 Post Number: 6
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we live right on the border so with our wood stove and the
California border ag. inspection station you would think people would be pretty aware of this issue, but not so much, and the Redwoods are threatened by  the fungus Phytophthora lateralis. (Port Orford Cedar Root Rot) and the problem with that s, even if you don't haul wood, but just drive in an infected area, then drive in the redwoods, your tires can carry the fungus.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Nov. 28 2012, 1:06 pm)
we live right on the border so with our wood stove and the
California border ag. inspection station you would think people would be pretty aware of this issue, but not so much, and the Redwoods are threatened by  the fungus Phytophthora lateralis. (Port Orford Cedar Root Rot) and the problem with that s, even if you don't haul wood, but just drive in an infected area, then drive in the redwoods, your tires can carry the fungus.

I bet they'd jump all over an orange, though.   :(
 Post Number: 8
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While it is just making the news recently, parts of the Smokies have been under quarantine for over a year now.  I understand the reasoning behind "buy it where you burn it" but many businesses are being unreasonable with prices. Around here businesses are charging $5 for a bundle of kindling and $5-$7 for a small bundle of wood - equal to around 2 sticks of normal firewood. Our last scout trip would have cost close to $200 just for firewood.
 Post Number: 9
JessyJ03 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Nov. 28 2012, 4:40 pm)
While it is just making the news recently, parts of the Smokies have been under quarantine for over a year now.  I understand the reasoning behind "buy it where you burn it" but many businesses are being unreasonable with prices. Around here businesses are charging $5 for a bundle of kindling and $5-$7 for a small bundle of wood - equal to around 2 sticks of normal firewood. Our last scout trip would have cost close to $200 just for firewood.

fwiw- these prices are normal here in So. Az. Wood doesn't come cheap.

Shame about the Ash trees in the Smokies. I lived there for a few months two years ago.
 Post Number: 10
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They had banned firewood from Blount county last year. That's basically in the park.
 Post Number: 11
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 5:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(2itchyfeet @ Nov. 28 2012, 8:54 am)
Wisconsin prohibits transporting wood more than ten miles and still the ash trees are in trouble.

10 miles? I'd imagine a lot of folks around here wouldn’t even be able to heat their homes if that were the case here. I don’t think I have any wood sellers within 10 miles - I get most of all my firewood from the family’s farm and its ~2hr drive. EAB has pretty much spread here already though, most the state including the counties I live in and get wood are all quarantined, and between quarantined counties you can move wood freely. Wish I had a closer source, and I have found and tried some of the more local firewood dealers and paid a lot of dough for crap wood.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 12
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NYS has a 50 mile radius limitation on transportation of firewood.  I don't know if it is effective or not.  Ash borer is spreading throughout the state.

The key might be to find and propagate those few ash trees that prove to be resistant.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just curious how we compare to others who use a wood stove. We get a cord of oak for $285 or pine and alder mixed for about $225 and use about 6 cords a year. I love it because every other place I moved to in Southern Oregon or Northern CA has had mold issues in bathrooms and the backs of closets and the wood heat is dry enough we have not had to deal with that here.  And I love how it feels when we are home enough to keep it going consistently. But I hate it for the fact sometimes you bake and sometimes you freeze and you end up running out and having to fetch a wheelbarrow full in the darkest rainiest times and there are always woodchips and bugs to sweep up, and the thought of the number of trees that have gone up that chimney in almost 17 years makes me ill.

--------------

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

Post Number: 14
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only time I relied on a wood stove for heat I would buy a half cord of almond or orange wood for $60 and it would last me the winter.  But I was single and only typically burned wood in the evening, and could heat my loft bedroom with a space heater if I didn't feel like messing with the wood.  I transported it about 25 miles from the Central Valley up to Camp Nelson, CA.  I did not enjoy moving it and stacking it and cutting kindling.  Anyway, I have no desire to have a wood stove again.  

We sell firewood on the NF for $20-$30 for 2 cords - sometimes after a fuels project it's pretty easy pickings.  If there haven't been any projects lately, it can be a little harder as you have to go find it.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 15
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aw shucks.  I thought this was a new thread about Colorado Doobies.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 16
tytyguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Missori has the same thing with ash beetles

--------------
Guy Store
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Nov. 29 2012, 9:26 am)
Just curious how we compare to others who use a wood stove. We get a cord of oak for $285 or pine and alder mixed for about $225 and use about 6 cords a year. I love it because every other place I moved to in Southern Oregon or Northern CA has had mold issues in bathrooms and the backs of closets and the wood heat is dry enough we have not had to deal with that here.  And I love how it feels when we are home enough to keep it going consistently. But I hate it for the fact sometimes you bake and sometimes you freeze and you end up running out and having to fetch a wheelbarrow full in the darkest rainiest times and there are always woodchips and bugs to sweep up, and the thought of the number of trees that have gone up that chimney in almost 17 years makes me ill.

The cost varies greatly around here - craigslist usually has at least 2-3 dozen entries per day of wood for sale. A truckload of mixed hardwood delivered anywhere from $100-250. The few $100 deals are generally crap, you get shorted on the cord, and half of it is limbs and the other half rotten and full of ants. Good hardwood like oak is generally $200 or so for a true cord. But hardly any sellers offer truly seasoned wood, and newer EPA stoves run much better with 1-2 yr seasoned wood (oak 2-3 years).

Due to my frustration with the crap wood that sellers sell and the higher cost, I usually cut my own, mainly cherry and locust (they seem to be the only ones that die or get uproted around here - I usually try and only cut up what already down) but sometimes oak, ash, maple and other various ones mixed in.

I love wood heat but it is a lot of work. For me I enjoy the work, and its a good work-out. And nothing beats sitting in the leather lazy boy with my bare feet up in front of the fire sipping some nice wine. You just can't enjoy heat like that from a furnace, nor the sense of accomplishment from all the hard work. It comes with the added benefit of being able to cook food on, or in, and it still works in power outages. Well the blower on my insert wont but my freestanding stove doesnt even have any blowers or anything electrical anyhow.

I keep a good supply of wood on the porch so you dont have to go out in the rain or trudge through snow to get it in the middle of the night, and then refill inside the house and the porch on a good day from the bigger stack outside.

I installed this Hearthstone last year in place of a really old smokedragon the previous owners were using: new stove 1 and new stove 2 And 2 years ago we had this Jotul insert put in the fireplace wich didn't put out any heat. Jotul Rockland Doesnt throw out as much radiant heat as a freestanding stove but was the cheapest/easiest to install since we didnt have to modify the hearth at all.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There should be a firewood glut in NJ after Sandy (mostly oak), but it won't be well seasoned for a while yet.  A few people I talked to yesterday were very disappointed when I explained seasoning.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is ours, it was in the house when we moved in 16 years ago, and other than having to replace the chimney cap once after a big windstorm, and that woven rope stuff around the door maybe twice has been very good. We keep about 2 wheelbarrow loads on the porch and a big rubber made tote in the house but sometimes it doesn't stop raining. for weeks, literally

Thankful For Warmth on 365 Project

--------------

Post Number: 20
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Nov. 28 2012, 11:23 pm)

They had banned firewood from Blount county last year. That's basically in the park.

NC had a ban two years ago. At least at the state parks.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 21
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Firewood restrictions and costs are why I switched to fake firelogs and found wood for campfires.  Where I go there's usually plenty of downed wood and the firelogs will make it burn even if damp.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Echo - that looks like our old stove that we replaced with the one in my previous pic, and then we moved it into the basement since I am doing a lot down there this winter and it had the flue and everything down there already. Looks like yours has an ash pan though.

My old stove: http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/kc2ebm/heating/oldstove1.jpg

It was a good heater. Went through quite a lot more wood than our newer EPA stoves and filled the chimney with creosote faster than you could clean it out! But it is a great heater and glad I found a new home for it still.

Careful though that wood and tote is awfully close to your stove!

I think we're going on a tangent though! Sorry!

--------------
 Post Number: 23
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can still burn wood in a FP / Stove ??

That was essentially outlawed 15-20 yrs ago here, unless you want to spend more on your fireplace/wood stove than your furnace.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 24
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 5:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Around here a rick is about $85. It was a little more be we have some bad storms here and there's plenty of downed trees. I think I gave away around 20 ricks when some trees came down here. Of course I had no idea how much money was there when I said "if you will get it out of my yard you can do whatever you want with it"
 Post Number: 25
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Dec. 04 2012, 12:49 am)

That was essentially outlawed 15-20 yrs ago here, unless you want to spend more on your fireplace/wood stove than your furnace.

We have a wood stove in our basement that is our primary source of heat.  I go through about 2.5-3 cords a year.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 9:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Adirondackiteer, I know the wood is close to the stove. The sides are so well insulated with that fireplace brick lining that I can lay my hand on it even when the box has a roaring fire in it. That is where the family we bought it from in 1996 kept it and we've never moved it.  Even the blind dog leans against the other side or bumps his nose into it with no fear. But the top and first couple feet of the stovepipe, those are radiating enough heat that any drop of moisture to hit it frizzles away.

--------------

Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, the folks back home have to use a catalytic converter and I don't know what else.

No such requirements here yet, but the air sometimes clots with with a smoky haze since wood heating has grown more common here, so expect a change if the popularity goes up too much more.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Were is here, may I ask? The most stringent requirements I've heard of in the states is being forced to upgrade to a newer EPA rated stove when you sell/purchase a house. I'm not sure what your saying about spending more on a stove than a furnace, thats about the norm with any new stove (plus you have the added cost of building a hearth and installing a flue.) Most new stoves are in the $2000-3000 range, a flues range from maybe $500 for a cheap liner to maybe around 3x that or so for class A chimney, then the masonry/stone hearth I have no clue on, and labor. The up front cost of a new install is definitely on par or more than a furnace. On my last install which was the green stove I posted a link to above, we lucked out and got the stove on 40% off due to flood damage, I used the existing hearth, and installed a liner kit myself, which I got online for about half the price of the local stove shop.

--------------
27 replies since Nov. 27 2012, 5:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Buy it where you burn it!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions