2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Shooting on another Campus, Casper, Wyoming< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Echo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 12:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang this kind of news gets old. At least one dead. My friend's daughter Shira is a student there and is Ok, but it gets to be too common

http://www.k2tv.com/news.php?id=2371

http://www.wjla.com/article....23.html

CASPER, Wyo. (AP) - At least one person was killed and another was wounded Friday morning in an attack at a community college in central Wyoming.
Continue reading
It happened around 9 a.m. at Casper College, said school spokesman Rich Fujita. Police took into custody one person who is injured, he said.
The campus was locked down and students were advised to stay where they're at until police give the all clear.
Fujita said he had no additional information, including how the attack happened, any weapon used and who was killed.
Casper College is a two-year community college in Wyoming's second-largest city. Casper, population 56,000, is about 250 miles northwest of Denver.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By the Star-Tribune staff(0) Comments
Related Galleries

Gallery: Casper College homicide

A Casper College spokesman is reporting a homicide on the college campus, with police on the scene and a suspect disabled if not dead.

Police have sealed the Wold Physical Science Center where the homicide reportedly occurred and the college is on lockdown.    

There may be a second injury and the suspect is “possibly deceased,” said college spokesman Rich Fujita, but that has not been officially confirmed. The police "are about as certain as they can be at this point -- they tell me that the suspect is deceased," Fujita said.

The college via its Facebook page is asking anyone on campus to lock classroom and office doors and wait for instruction. Students have gathered in Liesinger Hall under law enforcement protection, although A Star-Tribune reporter on-scene says some student have been allowed to leave.

The police are reporting multiple injuries but aren't reporting multiple fatalities at this time, according to a Star-Tribune reporter on the scene.

College student Delina Barbosa was in the same building and same floor where the incident occured, attending a morning chemistry class. At about 9:10 a.m. a college secretary pounded on the door, then gestured to students.

"You guys need to evacuate right now. This is not a drill," the secretary said, according to Barbosa. Barbosa said she didn't hear any commotion prior to the secretary's notice. Barbosa and the other left class and were ushered to Liesinger Hall.

Students have been advised to limit travel on campus. Depending on where they are when they received the news, they can use their own discretion, and Fujita said he hopes the interpret the message to remain in safe places and "do not come close to the area where the crime occurred."

Natrona County School District officials put the district's schools on lockdown after news of the incident, and the Wyoming Medical Center was put on lockdown for 30 minutes this morning. The district lifted the lockdown on all but schools in the downtown Casper area at 10 a.m. and the rest at 10:30 a.m.

--------------

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for letting us know good lady. I know of 3 friends with kids attending CC.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 dead.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So every Friday Shira sits center front row in a class taught by her advisor. Today her alarm didn't go off and she woke late to the dorm being locked down. It was her class shot up and her advisor killed. I'm not sure what happened but they are calling it a shooting and saying no Firearms were used and one of the dead people was off campus. Speculation says maybe a bow and arrows but no confirmation on that?  If you pray, she could use a few to help her get over being totally freaked out.

--------------

Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As far as is currently known, there was no "shooting" or "class shot up."
So perhaps it's best to wait for more reliable reports.

Thanks, Echo.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Paper said some short of a sharp object was used but did not go into detail.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most recent from Casper star Tribune Web-site

20 minutes ago  •  By the Star-Tribune staff

A man with an edged weapon killed one person in Casper and a faculty member at Casper College before committing suicide on campus, police said today.

Police found the suspect and one of the victims in a third-floor classroom in the schools physical science building after responding to a traumatic injury call shortly after 9 a.m., said Police Chief Chris Walsh. The second victim was found in the street on the Hawthorne Avenue near 39th Street.

Walsh declined to identify the dead, pending notification of their families. He did say all three were adults, and that the suspect wasn’t a current student at the school.

No one else was injured in the attacks.

Police believe there was some relationship between the three dead, but Walsh did not offer any details. He said a motive for the attacks wasn't clear. The attacks don't appear to be "school-motivated," according to a press release from city officials.

Investigators believe the suspect acted alone. The community isn’t in any danger, Walsh said.

Asked about reports from students that a bow and arrow were used in the attacks and suicide, Walsh said an "edged weapon" was used but wouldn't specifically identify what weapons were involved in the attacks. No firearms were used, he said.

Police have blocked off the 3700-3800 block of Hawthorne Avenue in Casper. Late morning radio scanner traffic and on-scene reports indicated a dead body was on the street.

A resident on the block told a Star-Tribune reporter she noticed the body was barefoot and clad in pajamas.

A county coroner transport vehicle and a hazardous materials team arrived at the scene at about 1 p.m.

Police received the initial traumatic injury call from the college at 9:06 a.m. An estimate 33 officers responded within minutes, Walsh said.

Police and college officials locked down the campus and police sealed and searched the physical science center.

The college is now no longer on lockdown, but police are barring anyone from entering the physical science center or the adjoining life science center until their investigation has concluded.

“I can say without a doubt this is the worst day of my career,” college President Walter Nolte said.

Officials called for ambulances from the Wyoming Medical Center shortly after 9 a.m., but no patients were transported or treated at the Wyoming Medical Center, Walsh and hospital spokeswoman Mel Schwartz said.

College student Delina Barbosa was in the same building and same floor where the incident occured this morning, attending a morning chemistry class. At about 9:10 a.m. a college secretary pounded on the door, then gestured to students.

"You guys need to evacuate right now. This is not a drill," the secretary said, according to Barbosa. Barbosa said she didn't hear any commotion prior to the secretary's notice. Barbosa and the other left class and were ushered to Liesinger Hall, the student center.

Roommates Courtney Suko and Shannan Pyer, both freshmen, were in a biology lecture hall in the physical science building when a woman came into the room and told the class to leave.

Suko and Pyer grabbed their bags and ran for the door. They both thought it was a drill.

"I didn't think it was anything shocking or anything like that," Pyer said.

When they got outside, they saw that police had already assembled.

"You're wondering if someone would jump out and have a gun or something," Suko said.

The class planned to assemble in a nearby building, but later moved to the Liesinger building, further from where the incident happened.

As Pyer and Suko waited to be released, they said they saw a girl crying in the same room. The girl told them that she'd been in the room where everything happened. She said she saw a student shoot a professor with a bow and arrow and stab him with something repeatedly.

Pyer said despite the stories circulating, she felt safer knowing she was in a large group further from the physical science building.

Natrona County School District officials put the district's schools on lockdown after news of the incident, and the Wyoming Medical Center was put on lockdown for 30 minutes this morning. The district lifted the lockdown on all schools at 10:30 a.m.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

when checking the Casper Star Tribune today, I found Shira pictured in the center with the white T shirt

http://trib.com/news....f4.html

--------------

Post Number: 10
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nearly every account I've read says that this was neither a school-directed crime nor a random killing. There is no reason to believe anyone on the Casper campus was in danger other than the victim whom was the object of the murder.

I've spent a lot of time on the Casper College campus and inside the Wold building, and I think any attempt to paint this incident as a "mini-Columbine" does a disservice to the school and to the students who study there.

Anyone who reads the Casper Star Tribune regularly (as I do) knows that Casper is a rough town with fully its share of bizarre acts of violence -- this one not excepted. The campus is public. Anyone can walk on and off it and most anywhere on campus. To think that those acts of violence prevalent in the town will always be restricted off campus is to ignore the nature of the city.

Frankly, I think any effort to sensationalize this tragic account by accenting its location seems a bit ill-conceived.

(ETA: Let's not make "Shira" a fictional character suitable to our own myths.)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Travis, I respect you and agree with some of your points. But not all of them.
You can't separate a community college from the community it is in,
I graduated from a Wyoming Jr. College myself and know the close knit feeling that the small campus creates with teachers and students as well as with other areas of the town.

You can't say that no one but the victim was in danger when someone was out of control enough to commit murder and then suicide in a room filled with college students attending class. Everyone there becomes an unpredictable variable.

You can't say, when the teachers and police officers don't know exactly what the situation is, and dozens of armed police officers show up to future it out, and some teachers lock kids in and some tell kids to leave, and the kids walking out are meeting armed officers and neither group knows what they should expect - that there was no danger.

Well, you can say it - of course, but I don't have to agree.

And I wasn't saying this was a Mini-Columbine, but on the other hand, I don't think even Columbine deserves to be judged as a school incident, separate from the community or the world at large.

And I was reacting not to a fictional character, but to a girl I know and love who is the daughter of the woman who has been my best friend for 35 years, a kid just days older than my son, who is bright funny and strong, who went as one of Wyoming's two Youth Senate representatives and met the President and several Senators, who loves to write and is every inch a real person. I was scared for her yesterday, and worried about her mental state today. I Love Shira.

Shira's Mom, and another friend and I, dorky in 1981  /   Shira's Mom and I older and twice the women we were in the redwoods  /  Shira and my son in Fern Canyon   /   Shira, me and my son at the pacific

--------------

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So the identities have been announced. It was a 25 year old son of one science teacher who first killed Shira's calculus teacher two miles from the college and then went to the college and shot his Dad with a compound hunting bow, stabbed himself with a large knife and stabbed and killed his Dad as his Dad fought back to keep him away from the small group of students in the room. Sad and tragic. The son was from Connecticut.

--------------

Post Number: 13
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scary, glad your friend is okay Echo

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 14
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More power to the students who would like to return to their studies — without our extended need for drama and myth.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 15
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 01 2012, 2:41 pm)
More power to the students who would like to return to their studies — without our extended need for drama and myth.

Travis,

With all due respect, things like this do strike some people hard, even if they were not the "intended target". I hardly think Echo was perpetuating "drama or myth."
 Post Number: 16
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Dec. 01 2012, 5:25 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 01 2012, 2:41 pm)

Travis,

With all due respect, things like this do strike some people hard, even if they were not the "intended target". I hardly think Echo was perpetuating "drama or myth."

Who are you talking to? Do you have the slightest idea how many friends I have with kids on that campus? I think Echo may have been perpetuating both, whether she understands that or not.

This is not just about Echo and her stories.

Like I said, more power to the students who would like to return to their studies — without outsiders' extended need for drama and myth.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 17
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Dec. 01 2012, 7:25 pm)
Travis,

Ditto

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
16 replies since Nov. 30 2012, 12:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Shooting on another Campus
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions