2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Geeky Topic - But Do You Back Up Your Computer(s)?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 2:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you back up your computer -- the whole system -- or at least your data files?  Imagine if you didn't -- and this happens:   :O

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes and just this week a colleague who didn't relearned that lesson, though not as dramatically.

I have Apple Time Machine running which backs up everything previously I've run systems that just did data files. Even once all internal storage has gone solid state I'm not willing to chance it. I just recently had a smartphone get bricked by an antivirus program and without backup I'd be in trouble. With no moving parts physical wear and tear if less of an issue than with spinning disk drives: but failures still are possible.
 Post Number: 3
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a MAC and have Apple Time Machine running but storing to an external WDMyBook storage device, but when my hard drive did fail, the Connecting Point in Medford was able to retrieve and restore it all without ever accessing the external storage. I was freaked out that I had all my writing and pictures gone last year just before Christmas, but the new drive and restoration was only a few hundred dollars.  I also email the text of my Novel in progress to myself at an email address as a storage system that is simple to access from anywhere.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I backup all my pictues on a flashdrive.
 Post Number: 5
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

eGo

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

work computer gets backed up automatically

all my photos are backed up on an external hard drive, also all uploaded to Snapfish

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a couple independent backups stored in different locations.
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Dec. 01 2012, 1:21 pm)
work computer gets backed up automatically

all my photos are backed up on an external hard drive, also all uploaded to Snapfish

Good for you!  Always better safe than sorry...

Moi, I do a full system backup every once in a while -- and data backup's nightly -- all to an external drive.  Data files are additionally backed up to an offsite location ("the cloud").  The process is actually pretty darn painless.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have a NAS backup (network) along with Carbonite (Online). If someone steals your computer...They're likely to take your backup. If you have a fire or surge, if your backup is hooked up...If it takes one, it will take them all. I highly recommend online backup for that reason if you are only going to have one. SSD drives are awesome in regards to stability and lack of failure but it still does happen. I just had a brand new one fail right after I installed the Operating System and required a warranty replacement.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
8 replies since Dec. 01 2012, 2:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Geeky Topic - But Do You Back Up Your Computer(s)?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions