2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Your Christmas Tree :: Total Votes:25
Poll choices Votes Statistics
The real thingA manufactured immitation tree 10  [40.00%]
Bah, humbug.  I don't put up a tree 15  [60.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Your Christmas Tree, Real or fake< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 5:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what kind of Christmas tree do you put up? I've got to admit that while I generally dislike holidays, I really do like Christmas.  We always go to the local seller and buy a real one harvested from his tree farm.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your poll seems... flawed.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 01 2012, 2:36 pm)

#TooKindByFar
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Real, in the house.  And a few fakes around.  One on the end of the dock.  And Happy Birthday.  I sent a straight piped Harley to you.  Vroom :D

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neither.  None for me.  Bah, humbug!!   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 01 2012, 5:36 pm)

So, I noticed.  What did I do wrong?  Can't seem to correct it. ???

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fake - we have 4 cats and a 9 month old!  

Plus I lost the appeal of cutting down a live tree back when selling hundreds of thousands of Christmas Tree permits for the Medicine Bow NF...  it was like a baby tree massacre every year :p

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure what the pol is, but we have a real tree (as in pine).

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 01 2012, 3:52 pm)

(JimInMD @ Dec. 01 2012, 5:36 pm)

So, I noticed.  What did I do wrong?  Can't seem to correct it. ???

You should give people clear, easy-to-understand choices:

-- Our Christmas tree is grown right here in the USA.
-- Our Christmas tree is made in China.
-- Bah, humbug!  We don't believe in Christmas trees and we are offended.

:p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To answer the question, I prefer a real tree.  I view it as a renewable natural resource instead of a heap of plastic that will be here for thousands of years.  I also hate disassembling and storing the fake trees.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Real and its spectacular!
 Post Number: 12
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Considering this topic where so many say they aren't religious and many/most on these boards criticize Christianity, why is a primary decoration of a major Christian holiday a topic?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 01 2012, 7:29 pm)
Considering this topic where so many say they aren't religious and many/most on these boards criticize Christianity, why is a primary decoration of a major Christian holiday a topic?

Well actually, MLW, many of us are Christians and like to celebrate Christ's birth.  I believe that is still our right, is it not?  And after all, no one is required to buy a Christmas tree.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 01 2012, 4:29 pm)

Because Mithras wants it that way.

The Winter Solstice Evergreen symbol of life and the return of the Sun, Rocks!
 Post Number: 15
mbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 16
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 01 2012, 7:23 pm)
Real and its spectacular!

Excellent episode.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 17
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 01 2012, 7:37 pm)

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 01 2012, 7:29 pm)

Well actually, MLW, many of us are Christians and like to celebrate Christ's birth.  I believe that is still our right, is it not?  And after all, no one is required to buy a Christmas tree.

<--Wacko Christian.

It seems less and less popular to admit it here but I ain't skeered.  :cool:

ETA: My Christmas tree is fake. I have had it for many years. Will probably have it for many more. I subscribe to the renewable resource way of thinking on real trees but I bought this one at a weak moment and intend to wear it out before I dump it.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why should anyone be hesitant to express their faith be they Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Wicken or aything else.  But that doesn't mean that you have to push it on anyone else.  Sheesh, the last thing I meant to do was start a mean spirited and nasty debate.  I'll stick to Harley- Davidsons if I want to do that. But I guess that's sort of a religion too, isn't it?

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 01 2012, 8:08 pm)
Why should anyone be hesitant to express their faith be they Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Wicken or aything else.  But that doesn't mean that you have to push it on anyone else.  Sheesh, the last thing I meant to do was start a mean spirited and nasty debate.  I'll stick to Harley- Davidsons if I want to do that. But I guess that's sort of a religion too, isn't it?

<--Not hesitant and for $1,000,000 you couldn't find a person I pushed it on.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

gee i thought jer got smashed for his birthday and made a pole. guss not :(  better luck next year.
 Post Number: 21
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Real tree.  We cut ours today in Arapaho NF.  It cost $10.
 Post Number: 22
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Real Tree - Been up for a few weeks now. Don't care what anyone else does or doesn't do.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh and they smell nice too. I'm not really a fan of forests but I love that evergreen smell.
 Post Number: 24
gjbu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 real trees.  House smells of frazier fir.
 Post Number: 25
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm about ten years into my $9 dollar fake tree. If real weren't so expensive I'd go with real.
 Post Number: 26
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would have a real tree if I had one.  

A few years ago, though, I bought two small trees to help decorate ... a few years later, they were planted outside ... now they are huge!  I have been known to decorate those, but then it's too much trouble to un-decorate, so I don't do anything any more.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 27
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 01 2012, 3:26 pm)
So what kind of Christmas tree do you put up? I've got to admit that while I generally dislike holidays, I really do like Christmas.  We always go to the local seller and buy a real one harvested from his tree farm.

Jer, when the kids were small we used to strap on snowshoes and go cut a tree in the NF.

Nowadays we buy one (fresh).

Wouldn't have a "tree" if reduced to a Plastic Chinese Perennial.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 28
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Real if Xmas is at our house, fake if we are going away (so I don't have to worry about leaving it up while we are gone).

And there's nothing about being agnostic to prevent us from borrowing from religious celebrations (especially the tree, which belonged to the pagans first).  I like the holiday, and skip the religious aspects (which I guess makes it largely a time to celebrate family, and the sort of winter we don't experience, and food, and the return of the sun after the solstice).

Heck, since I grew up in the church, I still have a warm spot for the poetry of the Xmas story in Luke, especially in the King James.  And I love Xmas carols, and group singing (probably the #! thing I miss since I stopped going to church).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 29
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fake for me, I don't care to pay the high price for a dead dried out tree. Plus my fake one makes just as big of a mess as a real one and I've had it over 10 yrs now.
 Post Number: 30
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out of curiosity, How much do you all pay for a live tree who are stating how expensive it is?

I live in Oregon where a majority of the trees come from so I get dirt cheap prices so I'll bet it must cost a fortune in some areas. I remember my Sister-In-Law dropping a few bills on a puny tree a couple years back. I haven't paid over $25 for a tree. If I go over the pass to my parents, I can pick up one any kind/size for $10...used to be $7.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
69 replies since Dec. 01 2012, 5:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Your Christmas Tree
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions