2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cable TV free, I did it.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I canceled my cable yesterday. Someone let me know if anything happens in the news I need to hear about.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations!  I'm not ready to take that step, but I've thought about it.
 Post Number: 3
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 01 2012, 10:13 pm)
Congratulations!  I'm not ready to take that step, but I've thought about it.

I still have the interwebs and netflix. So it isn't as big a leap as I let on. Still, I feel liberated.  :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I was in charge of my household; I'd do the same. Congrats.
 Post Number: 5
mbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't do it until the NBA season is over. Wish I could just buy ESPN, TNT, and FoxSports and cancel every other channel though.
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canceled ours 18 years ago (!) when we got married, though we dip back into that world most summers.  At that time, I'd already been TV-free for a couple of years, as I was then living alone and had never cared to buy a TV (pretty much all my discretionary spending in my grad school days went to coffee and cookies.  And ice cream sundaes. Gads, I miss being 20-sometihing, metabolically speaking!).

The internet pretty much seems to make TV unnecessary, but we didn't have that in the same way back then.  I just made do with NPR, and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done without cable or a TV for over 2 years now. I do miss it during football season.
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As far as I'm concerned, football season is the best reason not to have a TV :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 01 2012, 11:54 pm)

Meenie!

I like NASCAR races too. REALLY LOUD!!!  :p
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got rid of Cable too! I'm a Dish Network subscriber....

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 11
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never had cable and never felt entertainment or information deprived.  :cool:

Welcome to the simpler world.  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 6:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 01 2012, 10:09 pm)
I canceled my cable yesterday. Someone let me know if anything happens in the news I need to hear about.

According to the Mayan calendar we're going to scale something called a fiscal cliff (???) and enter a higher state of being where there are no politicians, Harleys, or paracord bracelets.  It's apparently the next step toward the Rapture.

Not sure if this applies to the entire planet or just the U.S.
 Post Number: 13
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 6:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I cut the cord about two years ago also. With over the air HD TV signal you should still be able to get football. Baseball will be an issue.

But, since I could careless about sports that was not a problem for me.

Hook a computer up to your TV and stream things from the internet. Like Hulu, Netflicks, and most major networks have many shows available for watching online.

As fro the news it never changes so you aren't missing anything

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 14
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 15-years "Cable and Antenna Free." I don't think there's anything wrong with watching TV, but I've gotten so many more things done (wandering, reading books, etc) than I would have otherwise. Some could argue that I spend a good deal of time online each day, but that has always seems more interactive, social- or learning-focused than passively watching shows on TV.

Enjoy your new lifestyle!  :D
 Post Number: 15
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have been cable free for about 2 years. We have a Roku box, get Netflix and Hulu Plus. My daughter watches everything she could ever want and no pesky commercials (on netflix). Hulu is basically for the Daily Show and Colbert Report. Oh and New Girl.

During football season, most SEC games are on CBS so we're fine. But if we need ESPN, we have access to ESPN3 online via a family member's account.

I love it!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 16
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cable for TV?

I pay for cable at both my homes, but almost never watch TV. Cable is mainly for the internet (and for my many security cameras at both homes) and telephone.

Right now my download speed measures 20.72 Mbps.

Upload is 4.29  Mbps

Both just measured here.

How are you going to do get such speeds without cable?

-Don- SSF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 17
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNb3WXXpMTI

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 18
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Dec. 02 2012, 12:03 am)

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 01 2012, 11:54 pm)

Meenie!

I like NASCAR races too. REALLY LOUD!!!  :p

I haven't watched football or Nascar in years so I am good there.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 02 2012, 12:53 am)
I got rid of Cable too! I'm a Dish Network subscriber....

:D  That is not fair.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just don't think I am going to miss it.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have never had cable or sat dish.  When people complain about their cable or the cost we just tell them that we get our TV free.   How? Antenna. But what channels can you get?  Oh about 23. Really, for free...

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 22
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You won't miss it. Your Netflix subscription will fill in any blanks you're feeling.

I haven't paid for cable in 10 years (when I moved to CO, the apt complex offered basic cable for free for about the first 2 years I lived here, but even then, I rarely watched it). It's awesome.
 Post Number: 23
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was TV free for 10 years - from senior year of high school until I was 28.  I also didn't have a computer or internet for 8 of those years.  Now we have DirectTV - and I greatly enjoy the DVR capability - so I can watch a few things I enjoy and fast forward through the commercials!  Big Bang Theory is the only sitcom I watch, and I like certain shows on Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, and HGTV - and of course the Olympics, some baseball/football games.  And we have cable internet which is very fast and that's a very good thing.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 24
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Dec. 02 2012, 1:55 pm)
I was TV free for 10 years - from senior year of high school until I was 28.  I also didn't have a computer or internet for 8 of those years.  Now we have DirectTV - and I greatly enjoy the DVR capability - so I can watch a few things I enjoy and fast forward through the commercials!  Big Bang Theory is the only sitcom I watch, and I like certain shows on Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, and HGTV - and of course the Olympics, some baseball/football games.  And we have cable internet which is very fast and that's a very good thing.

I will miss The Big Bang Theory. I watch the reruns all the time. I'm not sure if it is on Netflix or not.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 02 2012, 3:22 pm)
I will miss The Big Bang Theory. I watch the reruns all the time. I'm not sure if it is on Netflix or not.

it is not.  wife just checked last night.  You should be able to find it elsewhere, though.

I am running out a DirecTV subscription and will be cancelling it for good soon.  I have a very nice rooftop antenna I got back in the spring.  In the boonies of East TX, I was getting over a dozen channels.  When I get moved to Indy shortly, I'm sure that total will double...with the antenna in the attic.

I am not the kinda person to schedule around tv shows, even though there are a couple I like.  I have a GoogleTV box currently, and have the PlayOn service so I can get most stuff eventually.  I use Amazon Instant for some things, too.  I do think I'd like to get a Tivo box that will record from an antenna to fill in.  All of this, I get on my TV.  no need to sit at the computer.  With the way Netflix is going lately, I wonder if it may not be worth it after awhile, though.  It's getting harder to find good stuff anymore.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 26
quademire87 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We bought a $60 Roku box for streaming online content. We pay for Netflix and Hulu plus, so basically a tick over 20 bucks and we can watch everything we want to.
 Post Number: 27
quademire87 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Bang is available in DVD form from Netflix. We subscribe to the streaming, and 1 dvd out at a time, since there are a lot of movies we'd like to see that aren't available on the streaming.
 Post Number: 28
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never paid for cable. With a large rooftop antenna, we receive around 25 channels in the two languages spoken in my household. Cable providers might be loosing less customers if they had adopted reasonable a-la-cart pricing when they had the chance instead of making us pay premium prices for content we don't want.
 Post Number: 29
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 02 2012, 5:06 pm)

(eyebp @ Dec. 02 2012, 3:22 pm)

it is not.  wife just checked last night.  You should be able to find it elsewhere, though.

Oh well. I haven't seen a new one in awhile anyway. Its a really funny show though.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(quademire87 @ Dec. 02 2012, 5:12 pm)
We bought a $60 Roku box for streaming online content. We pay for Netflix and Hulu plus, so basically a tick over 20 bucks and we can watch everything we want to.

I use my sons ps3 right now but I'm looking at smart tvs. I just can't decide which one to get.

--------------
83 replies since Dec. 01 2012, 10:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cable TV free
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions