2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: January 2013 Issue, Question on the January 2013 issue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kiwi22 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello,
I have just received my current issue of backpacker in the mail.  I always look forward to receiving it and spend the next part of my day reading it.  I feel as though I am missing sections of my magazine.  This issue has "World's top 30 hikes" clearly marked in the right corner of the picture, but going through the magazine it makes no mention of it.  Surely, the couple of longer trails that are reviewed in detail do not compose the world's top 30 hikes?

Similarly, in my November 2012 the cover talks about cutting pack weight in half, but never actually discusses it inside.  
Am I missing something?

All good things,
Dan
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The World's top 30 hikes won't be good if they're crowded so they can afford to mention them. The instructions for cutting pack weight in half require you to stop bringing half your gear.

Seriously though, You've already got your January 2013 issue? You lucky duck...

I'll see if I can't dig out my Nov. Issue and see what you are referring to.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
kiwi22 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Tigger,
Thank you for your reply.  My concern wasn't that the hikes were good or not, but rather that there doesn't seem to be anything at all about them in the magazine.  
It says it on the cover and then inside there isn't anything at all about the world's top hikes.  
I already swear by Potterfield's Classic Hikes of the World (and now North America which came out in August), for my go to list for great trails, but still was kinda disappointed not to get what was advertised.  Though maybe I am missing something or a page somewhere that could illuminate me?

And yes, it is nice to get them early in the mail.  Definitely enjoyable.
All good things
 Post Number: 4
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 02 2012, 4:15 am)
Seriously though, You've already got your January 2013 issue? You lucky duck...

I got mine a couple weeks ago, the January 2013 issue. Must have something to do with the Mayan calendar?  :D

True, there is no article inside on the World's Top 30 Hikes like the cover promises but the underwear add on page 41 is worth the price of admission alone.

Its only 80 pages, gone are the heady days of a good thick 200. The photography in this one is a sight better than some of the garish use of Photoshop and the fake HDR look that some of the issues have sported.

I guess we will just have to add up all the hikes inside and see if they come up to 30 kiwi22. I'm not buying that they are the top hikes in the world though. I know better... :D
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Arizona @ Dec. 02 2012, 1:33 pm)
I guess we will just have to add up all the hikes inside and see if they come up to 30 kiwi22.

That's probably it.
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I noticed that, and the month before the same photograph was used for on two different pages for two different trails in two different states :p

Who edits this thing anyway?

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 7
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the underwear add on page 41 is worth the price of admission alone.

thats what i'm saying. :cool:
 Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Dec. 02 2012, 10:49 am)
Who edits this thing anyway?

Monkeys.  :laugh:

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sixteen weeks in one thong.  Good thing it's not a scratch and sniff ad.
 Post Number: 10
SauntRR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kiwi22 @ Dec. 02 2012, 10:56 am)
Hello,
I have just received my current issue of backpacker in the mail.  I always look forward to receiving it and spend the next part of my day reading it.  I feel as though I am missing sections of my magazine.  This issue has "World's top 30 hikes" clearly marked in the right corner of the picture, but going through the magazine it makes no mention of it.  Surely, the couple of longer trails that are reviewed in detail do not compose the world's top 30 hikes?

Similarly, in my November 2012 the cover talks about cutting pack weight in half, but never actually discusses it inside.  
Am I missing something?

All good things,
Dan

It's the UL version

--------------
...SAUNTERING is derived "from idle people who roved about the country, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre," to the Holy Land....  Some, however, would derive the word from sans terre without land or home, which will mean having no particular home, but equally at home everywhere.   Thoreau
 Post Number: 11
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get the magazine at the local library branch just up the street

Page 41 huh ?

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 12
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 02 2012, 12:44 pm)

Sixteen weeks in one thong.  Good thing it's not a scratch and sniff ad.

Shift your gaze off the latte by her leg and re-read...

It was only six weeks not sixteen and they are mauve bikinis not a thong as on page 40, not to mention the black cami. :D

You're right about the extended romp in those things, perhaps 6 weeks is a bit much... :D  :D
 Post Number: 13
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found my issue. I have scoured the thing. World's top 30 hikes....Huh? I'm thinking it's that ad they're discussing. She looks to be around 30...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya, I had the same impression.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a magazine?
 Post Number: 16
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 02 2012, 12:38 pm)

I guess we will just have to add up all the hikes inside and see if they come up to 30 kiwi22.

That's probably it.

Did that...I think I got 32, but a couple were technically paddle trip, not hikes, so maybe that was it.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 17
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The number may be right, but their characterization as the top hikes is subject to debate.
 Post Number: 18
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 05 2012, 12:25 pm)
The number may be right, but their characterization as the top hikes is subject to debate.

Absolutely.  No Milford Track makes the list suspect from the get-go.  

Cover teasers aren't what they used to be.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 19
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 05 2012, 10:33 am)
I found my issue. I have scoured the thing. World's top 30 hikes....Huh? I'm thinking it's that ad they're discussing. She looks to be around 30...

When you get to be my age the described hikes and that woman in the ad are all the same - places I'll probably never visit.
 Post Number: 20
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only close thing I found in the Nov issue about cutting your pack weight in half wa a short paragraph about bivys.
19 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 10:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply January 2013 Issue
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions