2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yet another criminal busted in GSMNP.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This story was sent to me by a ranger friend.  

http://m.knoxnews.com/news....h-speed
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope they throw the book at him for the escape attempt and traffic offenses.
 Post Number: 3
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hmmm...meth.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gee, they make going 90mph like it's a big deal!  :D  :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kind of ironic that he will probably end up a convicted felon, whereas the burglary offenses would have likely just earned him a slap on the wrist.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 03 2012, 12:14 pm)
Kind of ironic that he will probably end up a convicted felon, whereas the burglary offenses would have likely just earned him a slap on the wrist.

I wonder how many people successfully escape a law enforcement pursuit.  I don't figure the odds are too good, but there's probably not much rational thought involved in choosing to flee, especially if they've ID'd your plates.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard a saying about that: No one can outrun radio waves.
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Superman and the Millenium Falcon can!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 02 2012, 9:03 pm)
hmmm...meth.

Maybe he's angling for his own show on the Discovery Channel.  I wonder if his mom does the cooking.
 Post Number: 10
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 02 2012, 9:02 pm)
Gee, they make going 90mph like it's a big deal!  :D  :p

heh.  It'd be easy on those stretches of 321, though it's not exactly blending in.  Going the other direction on 321 (toward Pigeon Forge) and driving 45 would be a better evasive tactic.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 03 2012, 3:26 pm)
Maybe he's angling for his own show on the Discovery Channel.  I wonder if his mom does the cooking.

Why the heck not? They already have one for supposed moonshiners, so they might as well have one for supposed meth cookers.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 12
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ummm?

Lars Ulrich has a brother in TN?

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 03 2012, 12:46 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 03 2012, 12:14 pm)

I wonder how many people successfully escape a law enforcement pursuit.  I don't figure the odds are too good, but there's probably not much rational thought involved in choosing to flee, especially if they've ID'd your plates.

A fair amount get away.  Motorcycle riders in particular, can weave through traffic, drive faster and have small license plates that are hard to read.  A lot of times the pursuit is called off for safety reasons.  I think if this guy had just ditched the truck before getting to town he would have gotten away.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if he'll end up in federal court/prison since the crime occurred in the park.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SnidelyWhiplash @ Dec. 04 2012, 10:54 am)
I think if this guy had just ditched the truck before getting to town he would have gotten away.

That seems unlikely to me.  He was spotted in a stakeout and I take it he was using his own truck.   Whether he ditched it or not, they know who they're looking for and probably where to find him.
 Post Number: 16
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if he'll end up in federal court/prison since the crime occurred in the park.

we (wbir---a local nbc affiliate) are reporting that charges from NPS are pending.....
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 04 2012, 10:59 am)

(SnidelyWhiplash @ Dec. 04 2012, 10:54 am)
I think if this guy had just ditched the truck before getting to town he would have gotten away.

That seems unlikely to me.  He was spotted in a stakeout and I take it he was using his own truck.   Whether he ditched it or not, they know who they're looking for and probably where to find him.

I misread the article, and thought he was fleeing in a stolen truck.
16 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 8:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yet another criminal busted in GSMNP.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions