2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cooking in a cooler< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 7:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ever heard of sous-vide cooking?  Now you can do it in camp.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010....ck.html

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The beer drinker's Sous-Vide Supreme Cooker - it's called a crock pot - about $40 at Walmart. That way you don't have to let your beer get warm while you are cooking a possum.
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

idjit

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm no accomplished chef or any such thing, but I found that article interesting. I kept wondering how the water was kept hot inside the cooler, but I guess it is heated one time and that's it. Now, how to experiment. . . .

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We use coolers all the time to finish off cooking BBQ briskets, pull them off the pit, seal in a vacuum bag and put them in a cooler to finish cooking.  I've also cooked corn on the cob in a cooler..

I saw they were cooking chicken to only 140F, that's about 30 degrees below the recommended temp for chicken.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 7
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found an old looler by a lake once - made a great wind screen for my canister stove.
 Post Number: 8
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw your topic title and it reminded me of the guy who started a small campfire in his cedar strip canoe to keep warm.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 9
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have one of these Love it. Cook whole chickens, rib eye steaks, pork loins you name it you can't ruin it. Can't over cook it. Set the temp and leave

Best is the rib eye. Cook to 135F then toss it on the grill for a minute on each side. Best steak you will ever have in my opinion.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 10
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 04 2012, 9:05 pm)
That way you don't have to let your beer get warm while you are cooking a possum.

Any chef worth their salt knows the only right way to do possum is in a dutch oven using the Dinwiddie Ring method.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look under  the "frequently bought together" section:

http://www.amazon.com/MARSHAL....cp_hi_0
 Post Number: 12
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 05 2012, 7:55 am)
I have one of these Love it. Cook whole chickens, rib eye steaks, pork loins you name it you can't ruin it. Can't over cook it. Set the temp and leave

Best is the rib eye. Cook to 135F then toss it on the grill for a minute on each side. Best steak you will ever have in my opinion.

Yeah, but there's something cool about doing it in an Igloo cooler you've invested less than $100 for

This one's even cheaper, but you also need a $6 thermocouple probe

http://www.amazon.com/Digital....i_img_y
 Post Number: 13
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My friend and I did some cooler cooking a couple of summers ago.  I remember the bread and beans turned out really well.  I just helped her a couple of times for fun, but she cooked a lot that way over the summer.  Her husband had been laid off, and she was trying to save money on the power bill, and also avoid heating the house up during the hot summer months.  I don't know how much $ she actually saved, but she did get pretty good at this.
We didn't fill the entire cooler with hot water.  We just filled a big canning kettle, and put whatever we were cooking in the kettle, with a tight lid on the kettle.  Then we tucked old sleeping bags/blankets around the kettle to fill the rest of the cooler, and shut the cooler lid tight.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 14
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 05 2012, 5:34 pm)

(eggs @ Dec. 05 2012, 7:55 am)

Yeah, but there's something cool about doing it in an Igloo cooler you've invested less than $100 for

This one's even cheaper, but you also need a $6 thermocouple probe

http://www.amazon.com/Digital....i_img_y

To be really cool you need cook in a hot tub. Now that is cool.

Scroll to the bottom for the video

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 15
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe this isn't such a great idea.  while looking for an Igloo beverage cooler for hot chocolate for a group outing I came across the Igloo website that says their coolers are not designed for hot liquids.

I called customer service to inquire as to why, and was told that liquids above 130 degrees can cause the cooler material to expand like a balloon and possible burst.

That prospect makes that $40 crockpot look a lot less expensive
 Post Number: 16
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 05 2012, 8:55 am)

Seems like that would be significantly overcooked. 135 is already probably too much: than searing it on the grill would definitely be too much.
 Post Number: 17
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can get one these and convert any container for use as a heating bath, this one will heat up to 50 liters

http://www.julabo.com/us/p_datasheet.asp?Produkt=ED

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 18
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Dec. 07 2012, 11:17 am)

Seems like that would be significantly overcooked. 135 is already probably too much: than searing it on the grill would definitely be too much.

Medium Rare 130 to 135 degrees F 55 to 57 degrees C

center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion, and slightly hot

Though in this case no browning towards the exterior until it hit the grill for the sear marks.

Searing for a minute on each side does not really raise the internal temp much so you still end up with a darn near perfect steak.

Of course you could easily set the temp to the low end of Medium rare and if you person preference likes it a bit more rare

Some folks forgo the grill altogether and just use a chef torch to sear it

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 19
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Dec. 07 2012, 12:56 pm)
You can get one these and convert any container for use as a heating bath, this one will heat up to 50 liters

http://www.julabo.com/us/p_datasheet.asp?Produkt=ED

There are a bunch of homemade SousVide ideas on google.

This one looks expensive or possible as expensive as the unit from SousVide Supreme. There was no price so not sure

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 20
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 07 2012, 3:16 pm)

(cweston @ Dec. 07 2012, 11:17 am)

Medium Rare 130 to 135 degrees F 55 to 57 degrees C

center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion, and slightly hot

Though in this case no browning towards the exterior until it hit the grill for the sear marks.

Searing for a minute on each side does not really raise the internal temp much so you still end up with a darn near perfect steak.

Of course you could easily set the temp to the low end of Medium rare and if you person preference likes it a bit more rare

Some folks forgo the grill altogether and just use a chef torch to sear it

To each his own: I wouldn't want to cook a good steak to 135, let alone beyond 135.

I'll take your word for it, but I have a hard time believing that two minutes on a hot grill would not significantly raise the internal temperature of a steak. A typical steak cooks to medium rare in ten minutes or less on a hot grill. So it would seem to me that 2 minutes would make a pretty big difference.
19 replies since Dec. 04 2012, 7:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cooking in a cooler
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions