2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A wedge of swans and other group names< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 9:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I were out hiking around a lake this past weekend and there was a group of swans. One was banded and we got the number. We then sent in the info and the response told us by whom, when and where the swan was banded (2007 in Neceda, WI - which we, by coincidence, visited this summer). Kind of "neat" learning about the bird. We are about 300-350 miles as the bird would fly from Neceda.

Anyway, seeing the group of swans (21) got us curious about what a group of swans is called and in finding that we happened upon a site that listed several grouping names. "Animal Congregations, or What Do You Call a Group of" put out by the USGS is kind of fun and curious. Some we/you know. Give it a try for fun and, perhaps, thinking. We all know a shrewdness doesn't mate with a pace or that that we can't drink a big gulp.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm#birds

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a bunch of malarkey.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the link. But I tend to agree with Desert Dweller.

That's a fairly complete list, but I'd forgive about anyone for referring to a "bunch" of cats instead of a "clowder." And I have to wonder about the cultural predjudices that might account for some of the names. For instance, how is a group of eagles so distinguished as to be termed a "convocation," and group of owls a "parliament"?  But crows are considered a "murder," and ravens are an "unkindness"?

I would consider myself fully free to drop many of those terms as cultural relics that don't deserve to be salvaged in light of current discoveries in biology. Crows and ravens are brilliant birds that don't deserve the verbal coloring of older and less enlightened times. The historical terms tend to distort for no good reason. Perhaps they are relics of an agricultural peasantry.

Nonetheless, there seems to be a rich verbal heritage of such terms entertaining to review, here are some other sites:

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 05 2012, 11:05 am)
Thanks for the link. But I tend to agree with Desert Dweller.

That's a fairly complete list, but I'd forgive about anyone for referring to a "bunch" of cats instead of a "clowder." And I have to wonder about the cultural predjudices that might account for some of the names. For instance, how is a group of eagles so distinguished as to be termed a "convocation," and group of owls a "parliament"?  But crows are considered a "murder," and ravens are an "unkindness"?

I would consider myself fully free to drop many of those terms as cultural relics that don't deserve to be salvaged in light of current discoveries in biology. Crows and ravens are brilliant birds that don't deserve the verbal coloring of older and less enlightened times. The historical terms tend to distort for no good reason. Perhaps they are relics of an agricultural peasantry.

Nonetheless, there seems to be a rich verbal heritage of such terms entertaining to review, here are some other sites:

Yeah--but a crash of rhinos is very cool.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And a group of ex-wives being called whores is also really neat.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 05 2012, 10:57 am)

LOL!

I'll keep saying murder of crows, just because of the looks I get when I do.  :)   Several of those names sound like they were contrived just for the sake of completeness.  "Oh, we forgot bitterns! Let's see...(randomly opens the dictionary)...hmmmm. AHA!  'Sedge'...let's use that."

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 7
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, for one, think the list is fun. Lighten up folks. Smile  :)

Some of my favorites:
A tower of giraffes
A bloat of hippopotamuses
A leap of leopards
A romp of otters
A gulp of cormorants

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 8
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a gaggle of geese.
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's interesting that the fanciful naming of groups has amused people for centuries.
 Post Number: 10
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 05 2012, 11:26 am)
It's interesting that the fanciful naming of groups has amused people for centuries.

I'm easily amused  :p  :D

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 11
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have always liked the “murder of crows” thing, so I looked up Ravens
“An unkindness of ravens” – WTH ?

We have a lot of great-tailed grackles down here(they can be entertaining at times) , but they aren’t on the lists…They look to be similar to magpies, so I’m going to adopt the phase “gulp of grackles”
I’ll be able to remember that one.  It amuses me

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A kapok of Litemans...

--------------
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate reference posts like this, and here's why:  Other than the term for a group of ex wives, I'm not going to remember any of them.  And sooner or later the issue will come up in conversation and I'll remember that I once had a link to a website that listed all that information and then I'll spend hours trying to find the reference and won't be able to do so and will then end up cursing for hours about the frustration.

So thanks for nothing, except for getting Tigger to reveal the name for a group of ex wives.  That I won't forget and will probably get to use very regularly at my rod and gun club meetings.
 Post Number: 14
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is the term for a group of ex-husbands/boy friends??

Logically, I suppose it would be "pimps", but somehow I like the Shakespearan ring of "dankish earth-vexing whore masters".   Or, maybe, just "pathetic losers".

What say ye??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wouldn't that be a "dumb of men" ?

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 16
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like it!  Very appropriate.  Seems like my wife mentioned something about that only yesterday.  

Glad I wasn't listening too closely.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 05 2012, 1:11 pm)

Logically, I suppose it would be "pimps", but somehow I like the Shakespearan ring of "dankish earth-vexing whore masters".   Or, maybe, just "pathetic losers".

What say ye??

A broke of men

--------------
 Post Number: 18
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Confucius say man who has never been married is a man who has never made the same mistake once.
 Post Number: 19
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If all the ex husbands were on a Curling Team they'd be a Rink
 Post Number: 20
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 05 2012, 11:57 am)

Nice..

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 21
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Dec. 05 2012, 1:27 pm)

(big_load @ Dec. 05 2012, 11:26 am)

I'm easily amused  :p  :D

Same here. No doubt.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 22
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like that a bunch of kangaroos is called a mob, it reminds me of  home
 Post Number: 23
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 05 2012, 4:11 pm)

What say ye??

I'll bet most women would approve of  a "cluster of a**holes".
 Post Number: 24
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Dec. 05 2012, 5:55 pm)
I like that a bunch of kangaroos is called a mob, it reminds me of  home

I seem to remember from reading some Aussie book that "mob" is what they say down there instead of herd--you have a mob of cattle.  Is that so?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, mob or drove but  more commonly now we use the term herd

( our Aboriginals use the term mob to denote people that speak their own language also to mean "my people" or "my family". My wife lived for almost a year in a village with about 30 Aboriginals, 5 languages were spoken between them...)
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 05 2012, 10:22 pm)
--you have a mob of cattle.

That just doesn't sound right.  A "mob" sounds too crafty or tough to allow itself to fattened and eaten.
 Post Number: 27
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Dec. 05 2012, 7:48 pm)
Yes, mob or drove but  more commonly now we use the term herd

( our Aboriginals use the term mob to denote people that speak their own language also to mean "my people" or "my family". My wife lived for almost a year in a village with about 30 Aboriginals, 5 languages were spoken between them...)

Drove I think is British, so no surprise.  But is "mob" an aboriginal word then?  I am going to have to haul out the OED and see what came first. . . Sounds like mob for a kin-group, taken over to refer to a herd, and taken from there to be an unruly herd if people. .  . Back soon!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope.  Looks like it was used in English for a crowd before Aus was colonized.  So are the aboriginals your wife knew using the English word or was it also their own?  Dang, words are endlessly fascinating things!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"So are the aboriginals your wife knew using the English word or was it also their own?"
Yes, using the English word.
my wife could only understand their English and some Pidgin English, the language often used by them to communicate with community members that speak a different language or dialect.
 Post Number: 30
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

...so, what would a group of "friends" be?  A Giggling?  A Stouper?

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
32 replies since Dec. 05 2012, 9:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A wedge of swans and other group names
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions