2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: No more free GPX files?, WTF?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
theosus Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:angry:

I was checking out a trip on the backpacker trip advisor and tried to download the GPX file to the PC. TrimbleOutdoors would not let me, they said I had to log in as an elite member. Those used to be free...
I have a few of them from here, maybe I should upload them somewhere where people can get them for free, like they used to be.
When did they make this change and why? A lot of the ones I look at are reader-submitted. I hope those readers get paid for the stuff trimble is charging for.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man that is sneaky as hell. Get users to give you free GPX files and then turn around and sell them to others.

For example

Pecos Wilderness - Winsor Ridge to Lakes Stewart and Katherine
Submitted by: SuperGearJunkie21

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm, hubby must have changed the settings!! I'll let him know he's upset ya. :) Seriously I will ask him about it since he works for Trimble, he may have some info. I doubt he knows anything about it but it's worth a try.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everything is free....until it isn't.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ Dec. 06 2012, 9:05 am)
Hmmm, hubby must have changed the settings!! I'll let him know he's upset ya. :) Seriously I will ask him about it since he works for Trimble, he may have some info. I doubt he knows anything about it but it's worth a try.

I understand if they want to charge for apps and their trip planner and all that, but the raw GPX files should be free. The nice thing is, you can find them all over the place. "Every Trail" has a LOT of them. you have to register but they are free.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 6
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

there are a few other sites that restrict gpx downloads to paid members.  I avoid them like the plague.  plenty of sites that provide that information with free accounts.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 7
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Talked to DH about it and he said that his understanding is that the waypoints are still free but once they are overlayed with the Trimble maps is when the cost comes in. Trimble owns those maps. Trimble for years has been a hardware developer (gps units, laser guidance systems etc) and they have recently begun to enter the software (apps) area. And as we all know it costs money to develope those apps. His best guess is that they were free for "eye candy" to start and now they charge for it.

Luckily there are plenty of free sites out there as others have mentioned. It's new territory for Trimble and he figures they are seeing what is going to happen with it.

So, that's his best guess as to what's going on. He's actually curious now if he can log in with his info. Although he figures he'd have to pay as well even tho he works for Trimble.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! I figured that was what happened.
I see the waypoints are free. It's only $2.99 for a month. Maybe I'll save up a whole list of places to go, join for a month and download them all, then quit...

--------------
My Blog
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure I will be spending lots of my time and money to collect gps files to upload to Trimble so they can use them in their business to sell to others.
 Post Number: 10
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 08 2012, 8:54 am)
I'm sure I will be spending lots of my time and money to collect gps files to upload to Trimble so they can use them in their business to sell to others.

I uploaded a few there before they started this pay model.  I may just remove them.  If anyone is going to make money off of my GPS data, it's me.

--------------
The GPS Geek
9 replies since Dec. 06 2012, 7:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply No more free GPX files?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions