2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thesis defense is done!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And my committee signed off on it.  All I have left to do is complete the edits to my thesis paper, and fill out a relatively short multiple choice "Comprehensive Exam" that covers my basic environmental science coursework.

--------------
The GPS Geek
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yay! Congrats. I know a lot of work goes into to the research.

Any job prospects yet?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 06 2012, 12:11 pm)
All I have left to do is complete the edits to my thesis paper...

(1)  CONGRATS - getting real close to the finish line now!  :)

(2)  Don't forget to back up the file(s) -- on and offsite!  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats on what I am sure is a job well done.  

BTW, exactly what degree is it you're earning and in what field?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

job prospects...nothing solid right now.  I was looking back last spring, but got so busy this fall that I haven't been looking too hard.  I get e-mail updates about specific types of jobs being posted on a particular site and I've been watching those.

file backups - the document is actually 14 different files.  MS Word has an upper file size limit, did you know that?  I found out the hard way.  Get too much over 200mb for a Word doc and Word will flip out and not only lose your recent edits, but entirely delete the file you were working on.  Yeah, I know all about backups.  I have everything on two separate external hard drives, a flash drive, and on the internal hard drive of my home computer.  I also periodically put updates into my network drive on campus.  enough backups, you think?

the degree is in environmental science.  my thesis work was a wildlife/landcover change project, which is only loosely related to environmental science (usually thought of as water quality and air quality, but land change fits there)

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 06 2012, 12:21 pm)
Enough backups, you think?

Geeky... like me...

200MB file size limit on Word?  Can't say I've ever gone anywhere near that limit.  Nor would most people.  But yeah, Spec Sheets should disclose both features and limitations.  What a bummer to have to find out the hard way!   :angry:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats! Well done!
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well done!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 06 2012, 2:25 pm)

Geeky... like me...

200MB file size limit on Word?  Can't say I've ever gone anywhere near that limit.  Nor would most people.  But yeah, Spec Sheets should disclose both features and limitations.  What a bummer to have to find out the hard way!   :angry:

it doesn't appear to be a hard limit.  it happened to me in an older version of Word.  not sure if the 2010 version has the same issues, and I didn't want to find out.  but what happened is that at one point, the file got so big that Word started throwing warnings about file permissions (not a problem, I'm the administrator of that computer) and disk space (more than 1TB of free space between 2+TB of total drive space), I knew something was up.  My files got so big because of the high resolution print quality maps that are in my figures section.  A few MB each.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 10
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!

Post Number: 11
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats, well done.
 Post Number: 12
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations!  

You got me to remember the day I defended my thesis so many decades ago.  It ended up with my major professor and community discussing my somewhat controversial conclusions while I just sat up front and watched.

No problem about computer backup back then as everything was on paper and I ended up hiring someone to do the final typing of my thesis.  

Good luck on the job search.  Hope you land a great job with plenty of good benefits.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations!  That's a great thing to have behind you.  I can't remember a single thing about my own defense, but I remember the celebration pretty well.  :D
 Post Number: 14
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent work, sir!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 15
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats, if you find yourself in Chicago with time, I would love to show you Nachusa Grasslands.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Dec. 06 2012, 4:55 pm)
Congrats, if you find yourself in Chicago with time, I would love to show you Nachusa Grasslands.

I will not be very far from there, so a trip wouldn't be so tough.

Ah, the celebrating.  Most of my friends have already graduated and left, so not sure how much I'll be doing tonight.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 17
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 06 2012, 5:57 pm)
Ah, the celebrating.  Most of my friends have already graduated and left, so not sure how much I'll be doing tonight.

It doesn't take much to be memorable.  Lunch with my advisor in a nearby restaurant immediately afterward is my favorite recollection.  The relief of having it over with was overwhelming.  There were other celebrations later on, but that was the one that seemed to matter the most.
 Post Number: 18
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nate, congratulations and best wishes for the future!

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 19
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me add my own congratulations!  It is always nice to see someone finish a lofty goal.  I know plenty of people who have PhDs & MS/As, and all of them are great people.  Now I can add you to the list.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 20
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see that your wife says you might actually be able to live together again. So congrats on that too. Great job!

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 06 2012, 5:09 pm)

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 06 2012, 5:57 pm)

It doesn't take much to be memorable.  Lunch with my advisor in a nearby restaurant immediately afterward is my favorite recollection.  The relief of having it over with was overwhelming.  There were other celebrations later on, but that was the one that seemed to matter the most.

Ah, my adviser had a class 15min after we finished today, so we're doing lunch Friday.  My wife wants to take me out for a fancy dinner when I get up to Indiana next week, too.

I think I'm the only person in my recent family go to beyond a bachelor's (counting cousins close to my age, I have quite a few), but I have a couple of cousins I don't hear from much...one of whom is in the LA area...and I'm not sure how far she went.  Pretty sure I have an aunt with a MA, and an uncle with a master's of some kind in a technical field.  Of course, my wife's degree still beats mine.    I really don't feel like going beyond this point, though.  I've had enough of academia.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Dec. 06 2012, 1:16 pm)

Something about the best defense being a good offense?  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 23
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 2:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!
 Post Number: 24
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 25
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations!!  Work well done to be sure.

Now, go live with your wife again! :)  Enjoy IN and let me know if you get up WI way sometime.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 26
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 06 2012, 12:47 pm)
My files got so big because of the high resolution print quality maps that are in my figures section.  A few MB each.

Yup, I know the feeling.  I had the option of doing a lightweight "research paper" option for my MS and still had way too many maps in it!

Congrats and best of luck in your future endeavors!

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 27
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 06 2012, 2:47 pm)

(Ben2World @ Dec. 06 2012, 2:25 pm)

Geeky... like me...

it doesn't appear to be a hard limit.  it happened to me in an older version of Word.  not sure if the 2010 version has the same issues, and I didn't want to find out.

Congrats!

Word also doesn't do well with larger files if "Track Changes" is turned on (granted that was 10 years ago).  Also learned the hard way.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Dec. 07 2012, 12:27 pm)
Congrats!

Word also doesn't do well with larger files if "Track Changes" is turned on (granted that was 10 years ago).  Also learned the hard way.

yeah, I am using an older version at home that's probably 10yrs old.  and guess what?  I've also been using "track changes" because my adviser likes that feature.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 29
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love the cartoon.  I can relate.

I wrote my diss. long enough ago that even though it was all text I had to make separate files for each chapter.  Whole thing must've been smaller than a good photo :p

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

:) :)

Feels good, don't it.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
35 replies since Dec. 06 2012, 3:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Thesis defense is done!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions