2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Stamp Collectors, Anyone? :: Total Votes:12
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yes 2  [16.67%]
No, but used to. 5  [41.67%]
No, but thinking about starting. 0  [0.00%]
Nope.  Never. 5  [41.67%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stamp Collectors, Anyone?, Do You Collect Postage Stamps?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been collecting stamps most of my life.  But the last few years, it's been more just "keeping it going" versus really enjoying or even paying much attention to them.  Indeed, it's been years since I visited a stamp show, and even back then, most collectors were of the older crowd.

So, curious, who here collect stamps?  Moi, I am thinking of calling it quits.   Bye bye, near-lifetime hobby.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to, but haven't for at least 15 years.  I gave away most of my Scott Albums, except for the United States one and one of specific subjects that I liked (Animals, flowers, etc.)  I got my kids into it, and we went to a Stamp Club in Anchorage where they could buy stamps for 1 cent, each, but they don't have their albums anymore, got bored with it.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My 75 year old Dad collected them when he was a younger man, late 50's, early 60's probably.  He had some "first day of issue" stuff but probably nothing rare or valuable.  He tried to get my sister and I into it as kids in the 80's but neither of us ever got into it all.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, but I inherited a stamp collection.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well yes and no.

I don't collect stamps but I have a collection of stamps.

I was given some very old books that belonged to a great aunt whom I never met. Inside the back cover of one of the books, a bunch of turn-of-the-century stamps had been stuck. It appears that they have all been cancelled. But, many are from around the world. I guess she traveled some. I haven't had them looked at yet. But, I did look for the famous up-side-down airplane one. It wasn't part of the collection.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My 4th grade teacher ran the Stamp Club at my elementary school, so I was initially "required" to join the club in 4th grade.  However, I did keep my collection going/growing for a few years after that.  That collection is still in my parents' house somewhere.  I had a bunch of first issue stuff, some old stuff, but I'm sure there wasn't much value there, either.

I did enjoy it at the time, but as I hit 7th & 8th grade music and girls were far more appealing to me!!  :p

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A co-worker says his father's stamp collection is worth $1M. I don't know if he's BS'ing or not.

Personally, I've never had an interest in it. Though as a kid, I used to collect banana stickers and pennies. I actually came across my penny collection just two weeks ago, while cleaning out my brother's attic.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to but turned the collection over to my son  and hopefully he will turn it over to my grandson. I had it for when I was in Jr High, High school and college and gave it to my son when he was 10 20 yrs ago
 Post Number: 9
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't view myself as a stamp collector.  But I do have this:

Though I view it more as a token/money substitute than as the stamp contained within.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 10
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stamp collector here.  My father has an extensive collection focusing on Germany and the German colonies. He got me going when I was 10.  Myself I have several thousand stamps worldwide without any specialty.  Just fun seeing stamps from many places.

--------------
I love the mountains!
9 replies since Dec. 06 2012, 3:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stamp Collectors, Anyone?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions