2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: One of the most useful sites I've come across, Dictionary of internet slang< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now I can figure out half of what some of ya'll are saying. The other half I don't care about.

Internet Slang.

ESAD (Not on the list)

E2EG (Is on the list)

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see IDK used all the time on the internet but every time I ask someone what it means that just say, "I don't know".  It's very frustrating because I know someone know what it means.

???

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 3
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damifino
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TSM.  FYI, I just bookmarked it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If what a person is saying is so obscure that I have to look it up at such a place, then what they are saying is probably not worth reading. Longstanding rule of thumb: If you want to be read, make it easy for your readers.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've either been in the Coast Guard or a cop since I was 17.  I've had roommates from South Carolina and Mississippi while living on Cape Cod.  I've been an electronics tech and a federal employee.  If you can understand anything I say through the slang, technical terms, acronyms and career jargon, you're good.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 07 2012, 12:43 am)
If what a person is saying is so obscure that I have to look it up at such a place, then what they are saying is probably not worth reading. Longstanding rule of thumb: If you want to be read, make it easy for your readers.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 07 2012, 6:48 am)

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 07 2012, 12:43 am)

I'm not sure I understand what your saying.

You can't translate directly from grammatically-correct English to acronyms. You first need to translate the English to an urban dialect, such as Jive:

If whut some sucka' be sayin' be so illin' dat ah' gots'ta look it down at da net, den whut dey are sayin' be probably not wo'd eyeballin'. Longstandin' rule (dig dis): If ya' wanna be eyeballed, make it easy fo' yo' eyeballers.

From here, you can translate to web-based acronymn. So what Travis was trying to say is: W/E.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The thing my students love to do is look their name up on "urban dictionary."

ETA, not during school!

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 10
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Dec. 07 2012, 7:19 am)
You can't translate directly from grammatically-correct English to acronyms. You first need to translate the English to an urban dialect, such as Jive:. . .

I don't know how serious you're being, but since you are referring to my comment:

Who said anything about grammatically-correct English?  ??? Not me. I did not say anything about that. It's not the issue. Some of the most successful books ever written make heavy use of incorrect grammar. So that is not the point I was making at all.

But as long as you bring up the topic, I disagree: Contrary to your claim, you most certainly can translate directly from grammatically-correct English to acronyms. That is demonstrated well on the first page of the link in the OP.

How many of the acronyms below are not derived directly from grammatically-correct English? Maybe a quarter? The rest are fine and refute your claim. But, of course, perhaps you jest. :D

Afterall, what serious writer would rely upon these acronyms and expect to be read — and understood?

HDYDHow Do You Do?
WDIBWhy Do I Bother?
WDIMWhat Does It Mean?
YHTBTYou Had To Be There
IYGMIf You Get Me
YANAYou Are Not Alone
TCOYTake Care Of Yourself
NHFTNot Here For That
IWOOTI Want One Of Those
FLWFamous Last Words
TIFNThat's It For Now
YKHIIYou Know How It Is
TBTHTo Be Totally Honest

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 11
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 06 2012, 9:43 pm)

I hear you!

But.  I'm as lazy as the next person, and I'm not averse to the occasional acronym.  I doubt if either of us thinks twice about the pre-internet ones like ASAP and FYI.  

Funny thing is how some of them take on meaning of their own different from the literal translation--for example, LOL and ROFL.  How often is anyone literally [meaning, really, truly physically doing it, as in this is not a metaphor] rolling on the floor laughing when they type that?  So what it really means is something more like, "I found this very funny.  Too funny for a simple Laughing out Loud, as that mostly means 'yeah, that was kinda funny' nowadays."

Humor inflation?

P.S.  You have no idea how long I spent trying to figure out why people were always responding to jokes with "Little Old Lady."

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, Rebecca, I've never been in the habit of using ASAP or FYI anywhere or anytime. Sorry. I can type those phrases out faster than I can remind myself of how the acronym is spelled  — all with tedious caps. But, of course, if you use those acronyms, I understand what you're saying, more or less. And sorry again, but I'm still going to think you are kind of lazy — unless you're making a sticky note to someone at work.

As far as using LOL or ROFL, they have gotten to be clichés that I find less and less useful.

In these forums and at my website, I will refer to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department (WGFD) with the acronym that I may use later in the writing. A few others I will use are: US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS or FWS), or Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE). In each case the acronym is spelled out before being employed for my convenience.

For first usage, it really does not hurt me a lot to spell those acronyms out for the few novices who may not be familiar with what I'm talking about. Sometimes "rules" are rules because they are the considerate thing to do for your reader. But where manners are so neglected, who cares what is considerate?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 07 2012, 10:27 am)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Dec. 07 2012, 7:19 am)
You can't translate directly from grammatically-correct English to acronyms. You first need to translate the English to an urban dialect, such as Jive:. . .

I don't know how serious you're being...

SOHF

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To be clear, Travis, I did indicate I'm as lazy as the next person :)

And context is all for determining the level of diction.  I do not use acronyms in my blog, let alone published works. I am unlikely to use ASAP for much of anything, as the opportunity doesn't arise.  I see nothing wrong with prefacing a note to someone with "FYI" as it is as commonly understood as P.S. (which I also use where appropriate).  

Other acronyms need defining in some contexts, as the ones you mention. I communications with school district authorities, I use the same ones they do for the gazillion agencies, programs, etc.  

If I were into texting, I would probably be much more excited about many of the things listed in the slang dictionary from the OP.  Since typing with my thumbs is unappealing, I'm less tempted.

And sometimes we can just have fun with this absurdity.  Which can go both ways.  If your wrote out LASER or SONAR at full length,  wonder how many of us would know what you were talking about?!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HYOH threw me when I first got here.  It's also worth noting that "WTF" means something far less jaded for Generation Y and younger than it did for their predecessors.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 07 2012, 6:24 am)
I've either been in the Coast Guard or a cop since I was 17.  I've had roommates from South Carolina and Mississippi while living on Cape Cod.  I've been an electronics tech and a federal employee.  If you can understand anything I say through the slang, technical terms, acronyms and career jargon, you're good.

I give up.  What's Cape Cod?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Dec. 07 2012, 4:11 pm)

Can Anyone Play Elite Call Of Duty?

--------------
 Post Number: 18
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 07 2012, 12:52 pm)
. . . And sometimes we can just have fun with this absurdity.  Which can go both ways. . . .

Of course we can. So when I'm made the butt of the joke (as above :D) I feel plenty welcome to turn the tables.

The way I approach it is this: if the only person "you" can laugh at is someone else, but you won't accept similar ribbing to yourself, you have no claim to sense of humor in the first place.

It's not rare in these forums to see complaints about "lack of humor" from folks who simply got the worst of what they started.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 19
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Travis, I hope it was clear I was poking fun at myself as well as you.  Gods know few on here can get as anal as I can about grammar and all.

I was thinking more on the subject of jargon (which is what all this really is) while working out (beats thinking about where my next breath is coming from), and realized that, of course, it is ever and always at bottom a way of creating an insider/outsider situation.  Not saying it's conscious or mean in intent, but it's natural.  Every group I have been a part of, from places of employment to the high school band, has had at least some special vocabulary that helped create a sense of the group (while also providing a convenient shorthand to talk about common topics).  The trouble of course always comes when we forget to switch it off when talking to those not in the group.

Just ruminating.  FWIW.  YMMV.  IMHO. :p

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's nothing, check this out - 10 pages of Forest Service acronyms :p

http://www.fs.fed.us/fsjobs/acronyms.pdf

And of course each region/forest has its own to fill up at least another page!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 07 2012, 5:01 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 07 2012, 12:52 pm)
. . . And sometimes we can just have fun with this absurdity.  Which can go both ways. . . .

Of course we can. So when I'm made the butt of the joke (as above :D) I feel plenty welcome to turn the tables.

FWIW :p ... I hope you don't think I made you the butt of a joke. I was just responding humorously to Eggs' humor. Or at least I attempted to do so.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 07 2012, 3:34 pm)
Travis, I hope it was clear I was poking fun at myself as well as you. . . .

Of course. I don't find anything in the thread offensive — especially from you.

Attempts to cultivate group lingo I find odd. Too often, an aspirant to group member carries a determined affectation to understanding the discipline. His or her method consists almost entirely of mimicking the lingo that hints of the group.

Conversations are often short because to elaborate would reveal the aspirant is likely an outsider himself.

Dated but still a classic about such group phenomena: The Nature of Prejudice, by Gordon Allport. (Sorry, I have to go. On my way out the door.)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 23
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I say, I'm not sure the group lingo is always deliberate.  But when it is, it is precisely to exclude the feared "outsider."  Or maybe to create a stronger group bond, which is almost the same thing, but not quite.

Sorry to turn this into a serious discussion!  I'm avoiding work.

ETA: if I pretend I'm having deep thoughts,  can justify not actually producing anything.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Dec. 07 2012, 4:55 pm)

Got it.  Thanks.  I guess it's obvious I never got into video games.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Dec. 07 2012, 8:02 pm)

I had such hope for you... (IHSHFU...)

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 26
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 5:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 07 2012, 8:43 pm)

Well, I got the FU part...    :D
 Post Number: 27
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 5:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Dec. 08 2012, 5:16 am)

(JimInMD @ Dec. 07 2012, 8:43 pm)

Well, I got the FU part...    :D

It's 5:54 AM.  I'm up for no good reason other than I couldn't sleep. I read this and I'm LMAO while ROFL!!!  

Come on give him some slack!!  Cape Cod has nothing to do with video games.  It's Community Action Program East Central Oregon Division

:D

ETA: By the way the usage of Call of Duty was outstanding!  I just couldn't let the "joke" go any further  :;):

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 28
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's "AM"?
 Post Number: 29
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Acronyms are okay when we're being lazy... but there are some unnecessary ones that are just silly.
My wife was on a Disney forum and people kept referring to family members as DD or DH. I thought it meant "Disney Daughter" - i.e. my kid loves Disney stuff. Turns out it means "Darling Daughter" or "Dear Husband".

Seriously, that sounds like you have some guilt or something. Just like when someone gets on facebook and talks about their beautiful wife, the first thing I think is "you cheated on her".

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 30
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

ESAD is on Internet Slang.  It means Eat Sh*t and Die

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
32 replies since Dec. 06 2012, 11:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply One of the most useful sites I've come across
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions