2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Beware of Eddie Bauer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 2:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ordered a Jetboil Summo TI stove from Eddie Bauer during the 40% off/free shipping sale last week.  I got it today, only instead of the $190 Sumo TI it looks like the $130 Sumo regular.  The packaging doesn't mention "TI" or "titanium" and it has the orange colored cozy rather than the sand color cozy depicted in the ad on the Eddie Bauer website.

I called Eddie Bauer and was told that the item I got is the only Jetboil Sumo they sell, and they would glad to replace it but I would get the exact same thing.  

I called Jetboil to inform them of the matter and to check on the product.  The customer service rep at jet boil confirmed that the product I received appears to be just the regular Sumo rather than the TI Sumo because: 1. the packaging would have said "Sumo TI" if it was titanium, and 2. the orange cozy only goes on the regular Sumo, the sand cozy only goes on the TI Sumo.

The Jetboil rep checked the Eddie Bauer website and conformed that Eddie Bauer is advertising the TI but apparently sending out the Sumo regular. She is going to follow up with Eddie Bauer about the screw up but obviously can't do anything for me or the others that Eddie Bauer may have screwed.

Perhaps Eddie Bauer found a load of TI Summo's with the wrong colored cozy and wrong packaging and in fact I did get a TI Summo with the wrong colored cozy and the wrong packaging, but I think that would be a long shot.

And given that Eddie Bauer claims that what I got from them is the only thing they sell, that means everyone else who ordered and paid for a TI Sumo got exactly the same thing I got, which may not be a TI Sumo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That smells a little "bait-and-switch-ish".  At the very least if you plan to keep the stove Eddie Bauer should refund you $36 (the difference between a 40% off TI Sumo and a 40% off regular Sumo).

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never would have purchased a regular Sumo for $78.  So refunding $36 is not good enough.

I'm entitled to the benefit of my bargain - a real Sumo TI for $115.  Either they buy it and get it to me or I get a $190 refund and then buy my own real Sumo TI.

However, if they offered to simply refund the $115 they charged me and let me keep the one they sent, I might consider it.

But how are they then going to make things right with all the people who bought one from them, perhaps some paid the full price and don't know that they didn't get a Sumo TI.

Moreover, I could have purchased a real Sumo TI for 20% off during the same time period at EMS but lost that opportunity to do so.
 Post Number: 4
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eddie Bauer sells gear. I thought they just sold clothing.

I'm sure they would refund you since it is the wrong item. Hope they cover the shipping back to them also. It was their mistake.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

File a complaint with your credit card company to expedite a full refund with the return of the item.

Funny, it sure looks like they sell it!

That's rather bogus. Not to mention fraudulent. On the other hand their rather prominent "Unconditional Guarantee" means a return is straightforward using the return label included with your shipment.
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PLEASE post this as a review on the EB website!  At least get the word out to people who might still be considering it (there's another sale going on right now.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and screenshot that page showing the item before they change it.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

EB was willing to refund what I paid if I returned the item to them.  I explained to them that a refund is not sufficient and that the one they sent me is evidence.

I'm entitled to a Sumo TI for a cost of $115.  How they pull that off is not my concern.  They can go to REI and buy a Summo then send it to me and I'll send back the incorrect one, or they can refund my $115 and send me a check for $75 to cover my cost of buying a Sumo TI from REI or EMS.

At first they seemed uninterested in solving the problem other than by way of a refund.  Then for whatever reason they changed their mind and called me back asking for a picture of the the product I got and other information about the packaging.  I think they realized that this is a much bigger problem than just me because they sold the same item to other customers.

The item itself and the Jetboil packaging are definitely a regular Sumo.  EB added their own UPC code to the outside of the package, designating it as a "Sand" colored Sumo, which would be a Sumo TI.  The EB rep said she thinks they ordered Sumo TI's but got Sumo regulars, no one at the warehouse knew the difference, and they have been sending out sumo regulars to everyone who bought the Sumo TI.
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just signed up and posted a review explaining the issue with it not being as claimed.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It could have been a simple mistake in that whoever was writing up the catalogs listed it as a Ti and it wasn't.  
EB should give you a refund for whatever you paid for it plus the cost of paying for return shipping. NO more and NO less. They don't owe you a Ti pot if they are willing to give you a refund.
 Post Number: 11
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Dec. 08 2012, 8:55 am)
It could have been a simple mistake in that whoever was writing up the catalogs listed it as a Ti and it wasn't.  
EB should give you a refund for whatever you paid for it plus the cost of paying for return shipping. NO more and NO less. They don't owe you a Ti pot if they are willing to give you a refund.

+1

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 12
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Send it back and get a refund.  They should pay the shipping.

What they "should" do and what they will do are two different things.

The old addage "If it seems to good to be true" applies here.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wrong.  A purchaser is entitled to the benefit of the bargain.  Eddie Bauer offered to sell me a Sumo TI for $115.  I agreed to purchase a Sumo TI for $115.  I paid the $115 to Eddie Bauer but Eddie Bauer did not deliver the Sumo.

Letting them "correct" the situation by simply letting them unilaterally void the agreement is not the way the law works.  They would have to show either mutual mistake or impossibility of performance to get out of the contract, and neither of those two elements exists.

Eddie Bauer is acting like the embezzler who, after getting caught, says "I'll just put the money back and then we can all forget it happened, OK?"

Not "OK".

Moreover, they are also on the hook for all the other people they screwed.  And they are still advertising the Sumo TI despite the fact that they don't have Sumo TI's to deliver.  

False advertising and deceptive acts and practices are ingrained in every consumer protection law because of incidents like this.

Class Action Suit Says Toys 'R' Us Used Bait-and-Switch Online Ads
 Post Number: 14
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wonder if they have it at the outlet store here in town?  I might swing by in a bit and see.  they do still have it on their site for 189 with 30% off and free shipping.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 15
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should file a lawsuit. They clearly haven't taken any reasonable steps to resolve your complaint.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 08 2012, 9:35 am)
Moreover, they are also on the hook for all the other people they screwed.  And they are still advertising the Sumo TI despite the fact that they don't have Sumo TI's to deliver.

Did you try to post a review warning other consumers?   There are no reviews posted as of now and only people who've bought the item are allowed to post a review.

A while ago, I ordered a jacket on sale at EB but, because of some shipping snafoo (which I can't remember the details of anymore,) it didn't arrive on the promised date.  I ended up having to run out at the last minute and buy a jacket for my son.  I called their customer service to complain and, of course, they offered to refund everything.  When I pointed out that I had been forced to buy a jacket at full-price, the customer supervisor sent me a gift card for the difference between the sale and full price, which was about $30.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 17
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Dec. 08 2012, 10:49 am)

Did you try to post a review warning other consumers?   There are no reviews posted as of now and only people who've bought the item are allowed to post a review.

A while ago, I ordered a jacket on sale at EB but, because of some shipping snafoo (which I can't remember the details of anymore,) it didn't arrive on the promised date.  I ended up having to run out at the last minute and buy a jacket for my son.  I called their customer service to complain and, of course, they offered to refund everything.  When I pointed out that I had been forced to buy a jacket at full-price, the customer supervisor sent me a gift card for the difference between the sale and full price, which was about $30.

That's not what he wants.  He wants them to send him something they don't have.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 08 2012, 11:35 am)

That's not what he wants.  He wants them to send him something they don't have.

Whatever.  Just trying to be practical but, then, I'm not the lawyer.  Warning others is simply about being considerate.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a mistake. They should give you a full refund as their 100% lifetime guarantee states.

Amazon and REI both advertise the same product at the same price.

REI is running a $20 promo where you get a free $20 card when you spend $100. Shipping is free when you ship to a nearby store, assuming it is an option. This website:
http://definitivedeals.com/coupons....d6h0AvA

gives a bunch of coupon codes for REI shopping.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Dec. 08 2012, 6:18 am)

+1

+2
Unless EB has a history of similar "mistakes"

My guess is some corporate dork that has never slept anywhere other than home or in a hotel didn't realize the difference between the stoves and just screwed up.  Mistakes happen, and I don't feel the need to be compensated for every mistake that occurs.
 Post Number: 21
wayne9867 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+ another one.  The pricing reflects the Sumo not the TI.  I do believe that they need to send your money back and pay for the shipping as well as correcting they website.  However I don't understand the logic behind them owing you a TI at that cost.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I submitted a review but it hasn't been posted by EB.  I also posted on their facebook page, which went up immediately and has not been taken down yet.
 Post Number: 23
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First world problem ...

Who knew Eddy Bauer was so evil.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wayne9867 @ Dec. 08 2012, 2:36 pm)

+ another one.  The pricing reflects the Sumo not the TI.  I do believe that they need to send your money back and pay for the shipping as well as correcting they website.  However I don't understand the logic behind them owing you a TI at that cost.

Wrong again - the price they charged reflects the Sumo TI.  On the day I purchased the Sumo TI from them their price was $190 less the 40% discount of $75.

If they were selling regular Summos the price would have been $130 less a 40% discount of $52.

I guarantee you that if Jetboil had agreed to sell EB a gross of TI Summos for $50 each, but then instead delivered a gross of regular Summo's, EB's lawyers would be all over Jetboil demanding the "benefit of the bargain."
 Post Number: 25
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NM
 Post Number: 26
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eddie Bauer has been a disaster ever since Spiegel bought them out in the 90's.  So sad because I remember what a great store it was back in the 60's and 70's, a real outfitter and competitor to REI which was just a one store climbers mecca back in those days.

Speigel went bankrupt, and I suspect that EB is headed the same way.

Good job letting other consumers know how bad they have become, not to be relied on at all for real outdoor gear.  

Eddie Bauer must be whirling in his grave to see what his name is associated with now.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 27
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 08 2012, 3:18 pm)
Eddie Bauer has been a disaster ever since Spiegel bought them out in the 90's.  So sad because I remember what a great store it was back in the 60's and 70's, a real outfitter and competitor to REI which was just a one store climbers mecca back in those days.

Good job letting other consumers know how bad they have become, not to be relied on at all for real outdoor gear.  

Eddie Bauer must be whirling in his grave to see what his name is associated with now.

The First Ascent technical outerwear line is outstanding--hopefully they won't go BK if for no other reason than for those products to remain available.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Dec. 08 2012, 6:04 pm)

(wwwest @ Dec. 08 2012, 3:18 pm)

The First Ascent technical outerwear line is outstanding--hopefully they won't go BK if for no other reason that for those products to remain available.

I don't know anything about the first ascent clothing except that it isn't sold in the Eddie Bauer outlet store in Niagara Falls.  I wonder why that is so.
 Post Number: 29
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 08 2012, 1:18 pm)

We'll see how they resolve this issue, but I suspect it's just a mistake somewhere in the system--it'll probably take them a little while to figure it out themselves.

And although I wasn't an EB customer back in the 60's/70's, I think they're slowly edging back toward their roots.  I have to say their First Ascent stuff is pretty darn good.  I have more than a half dozen of their jackets, wind shirts, fleece shirts, etc., and they are all very good.  They accept returns with REI-like enthusiasm and they carry tall sizes in-store.  Their luggage and backpacks (for books/laptops) will survive orbital reentry.  And their street clothes aren't bad, either.

So here's hoping this stove thing is just an anomaly.
 Post Number: 30
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 08 2012, 5:11 pm)
I don't know anything about the first ascent clothing except that it isn't sold in the Eddie Bauer outlet store in Niagara Falls.  I wonder why that is so.

Yeah, it's not sold in any outlet stores, and is not sold in all regular EB stores, either.
48 replies since Dec. 07 2012, 2:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Beware of Eddie Bauer
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions