2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Winter Weather And Conditions Thread 2012-2013, Yeah Buddy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:37 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty good storm overnight here in Jackson, WY. MANY road closures south of here. If the wind dies a bit I think Jackson Hole Mountain Resort will open the Tram for skiing today. We are doing pretty darn good for snow at mid and higher elevations around here. Parking at the top of Teton Pass will likely be banned soon because of all the good folks helping our economy and coming from 4 of our neighboring states.

What's going on out there in backpackerland?

Be safe friends.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wind in the 20's, gusting to the 30's. New snow in the inches. Temps in the teens. Windchill below zero.

We just can't work ourselves up into a full-fleged blizzard quite yet, but giving winter a good try.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just crappy here.  Rain and cold.  And no snow.   :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually pretty darn mild so far and then some. I haven't seen more than a few dustings of snow, and temps haven't even hit into the teens that I can recall. I just bought my wife some brand new top end snow tires so I'm hoping we get nuked so we can actually try them out. Winds...we have had our fair share of. Several 80+ mph winds.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sunny and mild here.  About to ride after groceries in shorts and tee.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grey, rainy, temps about 40 - 60 during the days.  Normal for this time of year, in Western Oregon.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

70 degrees with an 8 mile per hour wind out of the east south east.  I can't wait to get out of New Orleans.  I want to go where it's freezing cold and the snow is hip deep.  My boss asked me if I could stay through the holidays, I said "no".  He said "I understand you will be staying through the holidays".  Sooner or later this job has to end.  I'll stop whining now.
 Post Number: 8
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am wedged in-between DC and Travis. Coming out of some the driest October and Novembers on record. It is ugly. Friend just returned from her ranch on the Niobrara River (NE) and cried as the land was so toast.

Good new is I have a new nordic ski instructor and hiker companion if we can get some more white for her.  :D

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buffalo has become the San Diego of the east.  I don't think we will have any snow this year.
 Post Number: 10
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

85 and muggy here is Houston, picked some fall tomatos this morning, off the vines we planted in the spring.

Cold front due tomorrow, high about 50 on Monday.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 11
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The high in Tampa was 70 today and expected high for Sunday is 82.   It has been warmer than usual and dryer.  I am thinking about going on a nice relaxing paddle tomorrow.   :)

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Finally started to cool down here to the 20s and mid teens tonight.  Was snowing heavily for a while here in the valley but it's let up now.  Hope the mountains are getting hammered but I'm not optomistic.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Colder with snow last night and today. Single digits tonight and highs in low 20's tomorrow. Trying to finish the outside of my house... but hey, it's Montana. You'd better be tough. As long as the wind isn't blowing I can handle working in cold and snow all day.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 14
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're in the middle of a long rainy stretch. I'm glad it's not snow.
 Post Number: 15
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had to spend last week in Texas. It was hot there. They were expected to reach a high of 40 Monday. That would have been entertaining to see. Got back home Friday and it was snowing and cold. Had to scrap snow off the car. It was great.  

Now watches or warning just yet. They did have some in the state north of us, but hasn't made it down here yet.

OK, this brings up a new question. What is school like without snow days? We had them when I was a kid and so have my kids. There is nothing like the day off and then spending it outside sledding and making snow forts. Then coming in and warming up with hot chocolate and then go back out again and repeat.
 Post Number: 16
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've had a couple of storms come through - as usual they get the valleys and mountains and miss us 'cause we're in the rainshadow...  and that's the way I like it :)  If I want weather I can drive to it in about 15 minutes!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 17
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The forecast for tomorrow is 70 degrees.  I hate this warm winter.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 18
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First turns in this ski season yesterday.   Although resort has a solid 3 to 4 foot base now, the last weeks 4 storms were unusually warm with a lot of wet snow, sleet, and rain atop Tahoe ski slopes.  Will be a good season this winter once usual cold storms bury all the concrete layer haha.  Good sunny day to get a nice rosy Christmas time tan and exercise all my skiing muscels cranking aggressive short turns on groomers.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 19
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's been mild here so far, with lots of rain the last few weeks but hardly any snow.  It just hasn't been cold enough to snow.  I live at just below 5000 feet.  It is cold today though, so if the weather gets wet again, we'll be looking wintery soon enough.
I like this kind of rainy winter myself.  There's snow in the mountains to satisfy my need for skiing and snowshoeing, and here in the valley, I don't have to scrape my car in the morning.  Win-win.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 20
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's cold here in Colorado Springs, and there is a little teaser snow. Temp is 18, wind is 5 mph. It's cloudy with a few flurries falling. There's at most 1 -2 inches of snow on the ground.

I went for a walk earlier. Here's how it looks:

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 21
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've still got my A/C running.
 Post Number: 22
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"A powerful and very cold arctic low will gather strength and hit socal head on Wednesday night through Thursday. This will likely be our first major winter storm of the winter with heavy blizzard like snows, low snow levels as low as 3000 feeet, and thunder snow. Current snowfall estimates are at 1 to 2 feet above 7000 feet at this time, 6 to 12 inches as low as 4000 feet. Of course amounts may need to be adjusted up or down as the system gets closer. Bottom line, this storm will begin to build a solid snowpack over the [San Gorgonio] wilderness."

from SoCalWeather.net

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it would be nice if we noted where we are. Some of us "know" each other, some of us don't.

It was a nice day today. Drove out to Teton Village this morning and sun was lighting up the summits with a nice thick cloud layer between 7,500' and 9,000'. Was 8 below when I drove downtown [Jakson, WY] early this morning. Mid teens at 3:30 PM.

Thanks for sharing your part of the world folks.

--------------

Post Number: 24
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I worked out all day. 0* til' about 10:00, then warmed up to 12* around 3:00... good news it was a gorgeous sunny day with no wind. Anything below 0* is about impossible on equipment, but today was a beauty.

Snow coming tonight again...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're looking for light snow accumulations here in Jackson, WY today. I just watched about 250 head of elk cross HWY 89 and make their way through a couple of the elk jumps onto the National Elk Refuge. These jumps are gaps in the fence line with sheer drops onto the Refuge the elk cannot jump back up and onto the roadway. This very well may end up being the latest migration of elk onto the Refuge ever recorded. Climate and bison and elk hunts on the refuge are the likely reasons.

--------------

Post Number: 26
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sunny and in the 50's. Been below freezing each morning for the last 3 days.
Saturday supposed to be in the 70's, so I might sneak in a day trip.
 Post Number: 27
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

47 and cloudy in DC with the 10 day forecast showing little change.  Temps are right about where they should be for this time of year.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 28
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dumpin' like mad in Anchorage right now. A good thing. My goal this year is to be more aggressive, sharper, shorter turns, higher top end speed, better, cleaner lines, and less complete wipeouts. Then, once I GET to the mtns, brake carefully, lock my truck, and telemark all day long. :)

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 29
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 12 2012, 2:20 pm)
47 and cloudy in DC with the 10 day forecast showing little change.  Temps are right about where they should be for this time of year.

Meh.

I want a cold snap. Or for the colder temps of January to show up.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Dec. 12 2012, 12:46 pm)
My goal this year is to be more aggressive, sharper, shorter turns, higher top end speed, better, cleaner lines, and less complete wipeouts. Then, once I GET to the mtns, brake carefully, lock my truck, and telemark all day long. :)

:D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
203 replies since Dec. 08 2012, 10:37 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Winter Weather And Conditions Thread 2012-2013
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions