2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: December 8, 1980, The day John Lennon was killed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Life just seems to be passing by very quickly.  I had no idea that it had been 32 years since John Lennon was shot to death.  

I remember I was at home listening to the radio when I heard the news of his death.  The Beatles were a big part of the music in the 60’s when I was a teen.  Later my first date with my wife to be was the movie Yellow Submarine.  Those were interesting times!

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, strange. I remember exactly where I was and what I was dong when I heard the news... and I really never liked Lennon.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I knew Lennon was killed in 1980, but never realized that it happened barely over a week after I was born.  I'm definitely not one of those people who remembers what he was doing when it happened.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 4
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It just seemed odd (and still does) that an entertaiment figure would become the object of assasination.  Such is the world.

Anyway, it is too bad because at that time Lennon was getting back into music and producing good stuff.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 5
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 08 2012, 10:37 am)
I knew Lennon was killed in 1980, but never realized that it happened barely over a week after I was born.  I'm definitely not one of those people who remembers what he was doing when it happened.

When I was a week old I was crying myself to sleep, loving boobies, and occasionally pooping myself.  Funny how little life has changed since.  

It never stops bumming me out, the loss of Lennon.

Here is an interesting story about James Taylor's encounter with the assassin, just the day before the shooting
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was eight months out of the Army, still married to my first wife, managing a restaurant. I was cleaning the bathroom with the radio on in the background. I heard the DJ talking and then a bunch of Lennon songs were playing. I went into the living room and heard the news. It sat me down speechless.

Within a month I had quit my job and started full time school. Something about the moment forced some comptemplation and subsequently changes that would shape my life.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Dec. 08 2012, 10:22 am)
Yeah, strange. I remember exactly where I was and what I was dong when I heard the news... and I really never liked Lennon.

+1
Except he was my favorite Beatle.
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recall when I first heard the news. I was in no exceptional place at the time. Lennon may not have been my favorite Beatle. It didn't matter. He was a Beatle. And that meant something special somehow.

Kind of like Rumi above, it seemed so odd as well as tragic. It seems "why?" is always such a problem upon hearing such news. But why kill a musician? Why kill a poet? So odd and puzzling and incredible. Madness knows no bounds.

Eventually, it all sunk in, I guess.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had been out of college 3 yrs, married, and almost ready to move into my first house.

My old college room-mates were over that night, for our Monday night ritual of tacos and Monday night football.

Howard Cosell broke the news during the Dolphins / Patriots game, in what was nearly the first public announcement of Lennon's death.

I used to have an old cassette tape that I recorded off my tuner over the next hour, of me just randomly scrolling up and down the channels, and virtually every music radio station of every genre was playing Beatles music.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 10
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was a Junior in High School and enrolled in a British Lit. Class called, "From Beowulf to The Beatles" had it happened before that term of school I would not have really known who he was but ever since that September I had been discovering the Beatles in that class of about 22 17 year olds, and falling in love with them, late but still . . .

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Couple of years back by chance I was walking through Central Park on the anniversary and came by Strawberry Fields a lot of amazing music being played and a strongly emotional atmosphere overall.
 Post Number: 12
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was a freshman in college...  I wondered then what all the hoopla was about and have the exact same sentiment today.

He was a good entertainer.  And special like all human beings are special.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 13
unclehubert Search for posts by this member.
ambivalence!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't remember where I was when I heard he had been shot, but I can remember the first time I heard "Starting Over". I loved it, and I was excited about his new music. I think it was sometime after this that I heard about his death, but I don't know if the song was out before he died or not.

--------------
Hey!

Ego similis ambulo dudus!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 08 2012, 12:23 pm)
Lennon may not have been my favorite Beatle. It didn't matter. He was a Beatle. And that meant something special somehow.

I think that hits the nail squarely.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in Music City Rod Shop when one of the guys behind the parts counter heard the news and turned up the radio. So sad. He was a flawed, wonderful guy who I will miss. Such a song writer and melody maker.
Years ago there was a not-too-bad movie called John and Yoko: A Love Story. I have it on vhs somewhere. The interesting thing was that the guy who did the best portrayal of J.L. was not chosen for the part because his name was Mark David Chapman-the same name as Lennon's killer.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A funny story about John Lennon (don't know if it's true, but it's a good story). One time he took some acid and became convinced that his apartment building, The Dakota I think, was an enormous vehicle and he was holding on tight to the window sill "steering" through the streets of NYC afraid he would wreck and hurt a pedestrian or his wife and child asleep in the bedroom.
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hate me if yiu want, he just a guy.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Dec. 08 2012, 9:18 pm)
Howard Cosell broke the news during the Dolphins / Patriots game

I learned of it from Howard Cosell as well. Very sad...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 19
claymation Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the squad bay, Camp Pendleton California and heard it on the radio that was always blasting.  The news really bothered me throughout the day yet didn't really hit until later on when I began to wonder "Why?"
 Post Number: 20
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was more distraught the day I heard Cliff Burton was killed.  I liked the Beatles but wasn't caught up in the magic of the whole thing.
 Post Number: 21
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Central Park...

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 22
damnedjose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i was a psych major at uc santa cruz --- man, it was so long ago i barely remember the details. it's like, you fill them in, so not sure if they're real, or not..... uc santa cruz was at the time a grade-free college, where grading was written as evaluations, not a letter grade. it was a beautiful campus, still relatively new, set amidst the redwoods. it was quite an experiment in education.

i think i felt empty inside when i heard the news. i liked his music, and respected that he stood up for what he thought was right. i think he had recently released imagine, which  was such a neat album. not exactly sure how i'd feel about him if i were an ultra-right wing super conservative....
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wailer @ Dec. 10 2012, 9:00 am)
Central Park...

I've been by the "Imagine" memorial in Central Park a couple of times... I find it a bit creepy, in an ancient-idolatry sort of way.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw Julian in concert in Nashville around 1989 or so and I saw Sean at the Canery playing bass for Chibbo Motto. The day after this thread began, I brought up some Lennon music on my phone as I was driving. Songs like Day In the Life, All Those Years ago (with Harrison) and Nobody Told Me There'd be Days Like These are magic to me.
23 replies since Dec. 08 2012, 1:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply December 8, 1980
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions