2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: So:, The Hobbit in High Frame Rate IMAX?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 2:24 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got plans?

Plus it's a Trilogy! So there's years to go before it ends. .

High frame rate 3D is available some places.
http://screenrant.com/hobbit-....cations

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118063193
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 2:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I won't wait to see it in that format, but I'll take the opportunity if it comes up.
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 2:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So is it all on DVD?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 2:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think some of the bigger locales are offering it right away. I've got some choices per Fandango from the opening.

There's some places offering the previous films as a marathon.
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 2:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did not know they were making it into a trilogy. Awesome...That, is news I am excited to learn!

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting. Being a pc gamer back in the college years I always wondered why film was at such a low frame rate. 24fps would be frustrating and practically unplayable to most gamers. I thought HD was a little behind the times, I was using 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 way back in the 90's on my computer, and sporting several times the frame rate of HD video.

But when I got my first flat panel HDTV that did the 120hz/240hz, though not a true frame rate, I did not like the effect at all. Watching an older movie especially, the smoothing effect just made it look like it was shot on a home camcorder. It was weird. I shut all that off and just set the TV to the standard 60hz refresh.

Now perhaps it will be a lot different with a movie that is shot in HD with the high frame rate natively, and everything was designed for it. I'll definitely be interested in seeing it if I can.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A trilogy?  They made three movies out of three long books.  That I understand.  The Hobbit was relatively short compared to the LOTR books, I'm kinda surprised you could make three full movies out of it.

But then again, there's a bunch more $$ to be made doing it that way.  I guess I'm not quite as much of a fan to get too excited about it.  Nonetheless, they'll be entertaining, I'm sure.

- M

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GBH - there's a lot of stuff from the LOTR appendicies included in The Hobbit films :)  It feeds my inner Tolkien geek.

We have an IMAX just down the street, but I won't be seeing it in that format.  My suspicion is that I'd spend the whole film feeling super queasy.

But, we will be catching the movie over the Christmas break - Leafstomper read The Hobbit over the summer and he thinks he can actually sit still for it  :laugh:

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 10 2012, 12:36 pm)
A trilogy?  They made three movies out of three long books.  That I understand.  The Hobbit was relatively short compared to the LOTR books, I'm kinda surprised you could make three full movies out of it.

It's short compared the three of them combined, but a fair bit longer than any one of them.  I think they could safely make it a trilogy and still miss a lot of small stuff.  (Like Tom Bombadil not making Lord of the Rings).
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 10 2012, 11:13 am)

It's short compared the three of them combined, but a fair bit longer than any one of them.  I think they could safely make it a trilogy and still miss a lot of small stuff.  (Like Tom Bombadil not making Lord of the Rings).

It's been quite some time since I read them (first time when I was in the 6th grade, and most recently about 10 years ago), so my recollection is probably off.  You're quite likely right.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are adding in additional source material, and there's a LOT of it depending on rights availability (The Silmarrillon is apparently unavailable):
The Histories of Middle Earth

"The History of Middle-earth is a 12-volume series of books that collect and analyse material relating to Middle-earth, compiled and edited by the son of J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien. Some of the content consists of earlier versions of already published works by Tolkien, while other portions are completely new material. These books are extremely detailed, to the point of documenting scraps of paper that have been erased multiple times with many footnotes. Christopher Tolkien has documented the history of the writing of the Middle-earth stories in as much detail as his father documented the fictional history of Middle-earth itself."

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/The_History_of_Middle-earth
 Post Number: 12
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My understanding is that they are using the appendix from the LOTR triliogy that is at the end of Return of the King. There's a whole story about Bilbo's return journey. I just pulled it out last night and will begin reading it this week before we see the movie. Just finished The Hobbit a couple of days ago so it's nice and fresh in my mind. I'm really looking forward to see how the world looks to Bilbo when he puts on the ring.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard on the radio today (which is almost as unreliable as the internet) that the high frame rate combined with the fact that it was filmed in 3D made some folks nauseous.

This is from my local college station without a college, so it must be true.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ONE "frame" four days: Also The Hobbit

http://www.tor.com/blogs....dwarves
 Post Number: 15
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll get excited when they make a 10-film rendition of The Silmarillion.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 16
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read about this a few weeks ago. To paraphrase Peter Jackson: this is the future of film. Some people will need to get used to it but all films will be shown in this format within a few years.
 Post Number: 17
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 10 2012, 10:13 am)

Let's not get me started on that. So...then where did Bill the Pony come from if they left out Tom?

Anyway...not sure if I will get to see it or not. I'm so tired all the time with all of the hours I've been working, I keep missing all of the movies I want to see.

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 18
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a fan.  To me it is the quintessential backpacking/adventure books.  It not only got me interested in travel by foot 40 years ago I have also smoked a pipe since then.
 Post Number: 19
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Hobbit will always be my favorite of the Tolkein books. A more "pastural" and fun book than the LOTR's Trilogy.

AO Scott at the NY Times rips Jackson's vision of this quiet little book a new one:

Too bad...

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012....rc=dayp

In the LA Times Kenneth Turan is only a little more enthusiastic, and does complain about the new format for this film:

http://www.latimes.com/enterta....7.story

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
18 replies since Dec. 09 2012, 2:24 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply So:
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions