2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Christmas Display...I'm officially done., Show me yours. I'll show you mine!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 3:11 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been working on my display since November 1st and almost gave up a few times (I hate being on the roof) but I'm officially done. I've got a few tweaks here and there but it is "done". Things that I'm happy about are the extra garland inside the house and the new decor has been amazing. I've still got plenty leftover. I had enough that anything I wanted to nuke...got clobbered. We had news crews at the house yesterday and I wasn't even done yet. I might put up a new train I got but the house and yard itself, are done. Here are the pictures I've got so far of the outside. It doesn't show the back of the house but that's not that thrilling anyway - mainly just wreaths and such so far. More (hopefully better pictures) to come when I get the tripod out. These are hand held shot so forgive the lack of clarity on some of them.

Merry Christmas!

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No sorry your officially nutz :) That looks like allot of work. The you have to take it down.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud. But here is my side of the issue

I live next to, one house over, two guys that start decorating the day after Halloween. These two guy are next door neighbors so kinda compete. It creates a big attraction that brings bus fulls of people, really greyhound sized buses have pulled up, and car loads of people to our otherwise low traffic neighborhood.

The stampeding masses park in your driveway, they block you in, leave trash at the curb you name it.

Anyway rant off. Nice display glad it is not in my neighborhood.

bah humbug

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 3
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we need video

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 09 2012, 7:29 am)
The stampeding masses park in your driveway, they block you in, leave trash at the curb you name it.

bah humbug

We almost bought a house in a neighborhood like that. The cops have to direct traffic around the house and the guy collects donations towards his electric bill.

I like to look at Christmas light displays from the comfort of my car. And I don't want to live next to one :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 5
hwy395lvr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great job,Clark.You really have a great attention to detail.The fire hydrant needs a little something,though.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 6
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 09 2012, 4:29 am)
No sorry your officially nutz :) That looks like allot of work. The you have to take it down.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud. But here is my side of the issue

I live next to, one house over, two guys that start decorating the day after Halloween. These two guy are next door neighbors so kinda compete. It creates a big attraction that brings bus fulls of people, really greyhound sized buses have pulled up, and car loads of people to our otherwise low traffic neighborhood.

bah humbug

I don't consider it a rant. Those are legitimate concerns in my opinion. I have been asked why I don't pump music and have the lights dance. That is what I don't want my neighbors to have to look at every night.

We live in Bend which means I get maybe a hundred cars a night at that stops by 9:00 pm. There's rarely more than a car or two stopped at one time. I often shut it down by 9:30 pm because we only have 80,000 people in our entire city and it's often a ghost town by 9:00 pm. I won't run my lights past 10:00 until the week of Christmas.

You'd also be happy to know that I have personally knocked on every neighbor's door to get their permission.

I don't want to be that one neighbor that annoys the rest. I'm lucky to have landed in a neighborhood where we all enjoy it.

I am spending the day, hiding electrical cords so my neighbors don't have to look at an eyesore during the day as well.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(VAN @ Dec. 09 2012, 5:40 am)

(eggs @ Dec. 09 2012, 7:29 am)

bah humbug

We almost bought a house in a neighborhood like that. The cops have to direct traffic around the house and the guy collects donations towards his electric bill. My favorite part of my display is watching the kids drive by and stare out the window. It's my primary motivation for my displays.

I like to look at Christmas light displays from the comfort of my car. And I don't want to live next to one :)

I am collecting donations this year so I can help a family in need at our local hospital.

I am only using three circuits so I am not concerned about my electric bill.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hwy395lvr @ Dec. 09 2012, 8:39 am)
Great job,Clark.You really have a great attention to detail.The fire hydrant needs a little something,though.

I really wanted to but I know from experience that's illegal so it's one area I won't touch.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Noise would bother me but  think it would be kinda cool to have this next door. Good job, man.
I haven't done the first thing yet. Wait..I did buy some candy canes.  :D

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 10
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 09 2012, 9:04 am)
Noise would bother me but  think it would be kinda cool to have this next door. Good job, man.

I haven't bought candy canes yet. We wait until Christmas eve to put those on the tree. If I put them up now, my kids would make them disappear before Christmas...

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WOW!!!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 12
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 09 2012, 12:18 pm)

(eyebp @ Dec. 09 2012, 9:04 am)

I haven't bought candy canes yet. We wait until Christmas eve to put those on the tree. If I put them up now, my kids would make them disappear before Christmas...

You inspired me. I just yanked to tree out of storage.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've scared anyone else from posting their pictures :)  I put lights up in the 4 front windows - that's about it.  I'm heading to the Caribbean next week through Christmas, so I decided not to do a tree this year. (Plus I think keeping the  new pup out of the tree and ornaments would be a pain)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Curious accountant wants to know...

So, Tigger, how often and how long do you leave your display on?  And what's the incremental hit to your electric bill?  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 15
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice, tigger!

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 16
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, as my father used to say, "there's no accounting for taste."

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 09 2012, 2:55 pm)

So, Tigger, how often and how long do you leave your display on?  And what's the incremental hit to your electric bill?  :D

This year, I am turning it on manually. In the past, I have used timers and I may still do that later but for now, it's still in my hands. I haven't been turning it on until it is truly dark. 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm on average and it stays on about three hours during weekdays. Weekends, I've been leaving it on till 10:00 pm. Last year, our bill went up $20. I've got a few more this year but not really that much at all. That's mainly due to the use of LED lights. It's strand is roughly 7 watts so it's not that big of a deal. My lawn lights are sapping more power than any of the rest of my display because of all the green mini LEDs I'm using.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Dec. 09 2012, 3:09 pm)

Taste is in the eye of the children of who I do it for. They are my primary audience and I've got a 100% approval rating from them. If I made my display for grumpy old men, There'd be a bulb lighting the front porch. Thank goodness, I still have youth in my heart.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 09 2012, 5:19 pm)

Taste is in the eye of the children of who I do it for. They are my primary audience and I've got a 100% approval rating from them. If I made my display for grumpy old men, There'd be a bulb lighting the front porch. Thank goodness, I still have youth in my heart.

Hmmm. When I was a kid growing up I thought stuff like that was tacky and wasteful. Still do.

Go figure...

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 09 2012, 7:19 pm)

I'm an old man and I like it. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Merry Christmas to you other two old guys.   :)

--------------
 Post Number: 22
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First, EyeBP, you are not an old man.  Because if you are old, then I'm a flipping antique.

Second--fun to see how good that stuff looks at night and all lit up, Tigger!  I recognize those wreaths and garlands :D

We figure to get our tree next weekend.  I may work a little on lights before then.  Our decor is always pretty modest, and I do NOT put anything on the eaves, as I don't do ladders two stories up.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 09 2012, 9:07 pm)
First, EyeBP, you are not an old man.  Because if you are old, then I'm a flipping antique.

:D
You are underestimating my age or you have aged well.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 09 2012, 6:12 pm)

She has definitely aged well

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 09 2012, 9:33 pm)

(eyebp @ Dec. 09 2012, 6:12 pm)

She has definitely aged well

I guess that is what hiking does to a person. Or at least women anyway. Me and you look like crap.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Dec. 09 2012, 4:49 pm)

(Tigger @ Dec. 09 2012, 5:19 pm)

Hmmm. When I was a kid growing up I thought stuff like that was tacky and wasteful. Still do.

Go figure...

God forbid I spend $20 for a month's worth of light and color for the kids, eh?

It really sucks that you actually think that's a waste. I hope you learn sometime to see a different perspective. Most children find it awe inspiring and it sparks their imaginations for creativity in the future. I see nothing but smiles and joy from those who come by to view it including most adults. I will always find joy and amazement to be a worthwhile investment.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nah, I'd just hate to be your neighbor.

"For the children"... right. Tell yourself whatever you wish.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 09 2012, 4:16 pm)

This year, I am turning it on manually. In the past, I have used timers and I may still do that later but for now, it's still in my hands. I haven't been turning it on until it is truly dark. 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm on average and it stays on about three hours during weekdays. Weekends, I've been leaving it on till 10:00 pm. Last year, our bill went up $20. I've got a few more this year but not really that much at all. That's mainly due to the use of LED lights. It's strand is roughly 7 watts so it's not that big of a deal. My lawn lights are sapping more power than any of the rest of my display because of all the green mini LEDs I'm using.

Hardly any incremental cost at all then.  LED's are pretty amazing, aren't they?  I assume some colored lights (green) cost more because they burn brighter to achieve comparable brightness with 'white' LED's??

Bet they make 'black light' LED's -- for Halloween.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 09 2012, 11:10 pm)

(Tigger @ Dec. 09 2012, 4:16 pm)

Hardly any incremental cost at all then.  LED's are pretty amazing, aren't they?  I assume some colored lights (green) cost more because they burn brighter to achieve comparable brightness with 'white' LED's??

Bet they make 'black light' LED's -- for Halloween.  :D

Why do they have to be black LED's? Whats up with that?

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My bad. Green Incandescent is what I meant. The green LEDs are mega-bright. I would have done LED lights but didn't have enough to do it justice and didn't feel like spending anymore as I already got tons of free stuff already this year.

My friend makes Blacklight LEDs for industrial applications. I haven't seen them in the commercial market but I wouldn't be surprised.

--------------
42 replies since Dec. 09 2012, 3:11 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Christmas Display...I'm officially done.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions