2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Southern Oregon in mid September, PNW forum looks to be inactive< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 7:15 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all.  My Wife and I are looking for a four night trip in southern Oregon in mid September.  Any suggestions?  Degree of difficulty is not a problem except for off trail, which we have little experience at.  
We will need a loop or a point to point with an available shuttle. We're just starting the search here, so all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking the circuit around the Sisters would be good.  Anyone have thoughts?

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not Southern Oregon. From Southern Oregon, you're several hours of driving (four or thereabouts). However, hike-wise, the trails around the Sisters have lots of variety in regards to views, terrain, plant and animal life so will make for a fun hike and not too difficult in my opinion. I off-trail hike in the area often and never tire of it. Crater Lake area is quite nice and you should look for trails there. Closer to Southern Oregon and very unique geography.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, so I am not familiar with Southern Oregon, as I live in Salem.  I was thinking Crater Lake / Mt Thielsen as S. Or., but the Sisters loop is considered central Oregon, so I can offer some insight there.  I last did that loop in '95, so some or most of my memories may be off.  I consulted my map of the Three Sisters wilderness, and my best book on the hikes in the area, Pacific Northwest Hiking by Judd and Nelson.

First, let me make sure we are looking at the same loop.  Pole Creek TH, or Wickiup Plains / S. Sister TH appears to be the shortest entry point, and both from the Eastern side of the loop.  Using the PCT as it passes by on the Western side of the Sisters.

I found the trail to be in good shape, even if it is a bit dry and dusty.  The Green Lakes region between S. Sister and Broken Top is heavily used, but very nice.  Visually a 10 in anyone's book.  

I think the loop is about 35 miles, give or take a few.  The views of the Sisters and Broken Top are stunning.  Water is plentiful most years, and by Sept the bugs should be down.  Sept also might bring some cooler weather, but not normally for long or cold.  I'd plan on dry days in the 80s as a norm.

I did not hammock camp at the time, but there are plenty of trees to do so if that is your choice.  Douglas firs make great hammock stands, even if the tree straps need to be a bit longer sometimes.  :)

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Southern Oregon covers a wide area and for a September trip I think your best options would be from the Cascades westward.   The book [/I]101 Classic Hikes in Oregon[I] discusses several Cascade hikes that might interest you: Mountain Lakes Loop and Seven Lakes Basin/ Sky Lakes.  Neither are described as exactly what you are looking for, but if you consult the full wilderness maps of those areas you should have no trouble putting together a splendid and varied journey.  The trails include the PCT.  

Mountain Lakes Wilderness and Sky Lakes Wilderness are in the Winema National Forest- Klamath Ranger District, 541-885-3400.  

There is also the Rogue River Trail, but that could be very hot.  Probably better done as a float trip.

The Red Buttes Wilderness Loop is described as a 3 day, very strenuous 25 mile hike.  Although it is toward the Coast Range, September may be too hot here also.  Access is more difficult than most other hikes in the region.  It is in the Rogue River National Forest-Applegate Ranger District, 541-899-3800.  

I have not hiked any of these trips.

Happy Googling.  Be sure to post pics.
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PNW forum looks to be inactive

Wait, isn't there an awesome new community?  :D
 Post Number: 7
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First, some hiking I have done -

Rogue River Trail- This will be on the hot side (80's-90's easily) but there is a lot of access to the river for swimming, and it really is a gorgeous canyon.  There is also a shuttle available to take you back to the TH.  Also, if you want to "luxury camp" a couple of nights you can stay in the lodges.

Illinois River Trail- More remote (solitude!) than the Rogue and a tougher hike, but shorter total length.  I am not sure on shuttle options but I would inquire with the outfitters who do shuttles on the Rogue.

That being said, mid-September is the best time to head up to the Cascades as the temps are great and everything should be accessible.  Any loops in the Three Sisters area would be spectacular.  I have hiked some in the Sky Lakes Wilderness but not enough to know the best spots.  You can make "skinny" loops there and tag Mt. McLoughlin while your at it.  Definitely close to Medford if that is where you are flying into.

Best of luck!

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I probably should have just put "Oregon" in the title, because we are pretty flexible.  Somewhere where the weather would be cooler would also be nice.  I'll have to check out some of the places and books mentioned by you all.  Thanks.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If we're talking "Oregon", you'd better make a trip up to see the Gorge out of Portland. There's nowhere in the world like it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
8 replies since Dec. 09 2012, 7:15 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Southern Oregon in mid September
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions