2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: " That Sign Doesn't Apply to Me... !", (Iron Bars as well)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a few yds down the trail, below this boulder is a large heavy duty iron handrailing/fence bordering the trail to keep people from approaching/defacing the Native American petroglyphs .

Above the boulder is a row of signs for people walking back down the trail to the TH, but apparently not everyone is capable of reading..

I watched this large group walk past all of the signs and proceeded to lounge all over the petroglyphs to take a "Group Shot", than everyone had to vault over/crawl under the iron barrier fencing to get back on the trail.

I ran into a Ranger a short while later and mentioned the encounter, but he had his hands full, trying to get a young women to get her two kids, that were perched 100 ' up the steep hillside, to stop trundling boulders and throwing rocks across the busy trail....

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So haw far from the parking lot to these sites.  My guess too close making easy access to anyone

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a similar experience recently on the Hieroglyphic Trail in the Superstitions.  It's infuriating.  I don't blame the rangers.  People shouldn't need the imminent threat of penalty to give a thought to preserving these.
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I was scrolling through the frames, I was waiting to see spray paint...
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw the same on Rainier out of Paradise but it was a rope with signs saying "Do not cross the rope to walk, trundle, trample (etc for about 30 different words) the plants" but more than half the people crossed it.

Then at Multnomah Falls in the Columbia Gorge was a locked gate about 6' high all the way across the (paved) trail with a sign saying "Trail closed beyond this point" but a lot of people were climbing over it.

Too bad "tourist season" doesn't mean they can be hunted...

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 10 2012, 11:26 pm)
Then at Multnomah Falls in the Columbia Gorge was a locked gate about 6' high all the way across the (paved) trail with a sign saying "Trail closed beyond this point" but a lot of people were climbing over it.

It's a wonder that more people don't get killed there.  I visited twice on rainy days this year, and people were scrambling all over the deadly slick surfaces in street shoes.  I bet a lot of them couldn't swim, either.
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang!  How are people suppose to know if the sign is facing the wrong way??  Them park rangers -- friggin' ijits.  :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Manbe they shouldn't put those petroglyphs so close to the trail.....it just tempts people.

Post Number: 9
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well if the Native Americans had obeyed the signs in the first place, we wouldn't have to ignore them now to get a closer look.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good place for a few cantankerous bison to issue occasional reminders.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 11 2012, 5:44 am)
Well if the Native Americans had obeyed the signs in the first place, we wouldn't have to ignore them now to get a closer look.

Man, why didn't I think of that!

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
10 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 8:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply " That Sign Doesn't Apply to Me... !"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions