2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Eddie Bauer Resolution< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got a call from the distributor of Jetboil products and the "ceo's office" for Eddie Bauer.  They are sending me a Sumo TI free of charge, they are reducing the price I paid for the Summo regular by another 40% (I guess they just don't want it back), and they are tracking down the other people who ordered a TI but may have gotten a Sumo.  What they will do for them I don't know. They said it was a mix up in ordering and distribution, whatever that means.

I told them that all I wanted was a Sumo TI for the price I had paid but the insisted on going through with the free Sumo TI and the additional 40% on the Sumo Regular.  I'll give the Sumo regular to my son.

So I can say that Eddie Bauer will fix a screw up once you get past the initial customer service rep.  I guess the key is to ask to transferred to the "CEO's office" if the initial customer service rep isn't responsive to your issues.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad it worked out.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the first things I taught my kids was if you don't get satisfaction with the first person you talk to, ask for their superior.  If that doesn't work, ask for their superior and so on up the line. Eventually, most times, you'll get some sort of satisfaction.

Glad it worked out for you. EB has always seemed to be a pretty reputable company to me.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Dec. 11 2012, 6:57 pm)
Glad it worked out.

+1.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, you were berating them for nothing before you even gave them a chance to rectify the situation.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think he was berating them for the response he got from EB's customer service dept.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Note on the 'ask for a supervisor' trick.  You will never get transferred to a supervisor in a call center.  You will get transferred to another rep who pretends to be a supervisor.  The supervisor is just as under-informed as the reps that work for him/her.  That's how it works unless you're dealing with a mom and pop shop.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 8
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of customer service departments are too ritualized in specific decision trees to be able to address problems outside of the pre-determined choices they have limited themselves to. Your round peg of a problem just won't fit in any of their square hole solutions. When I face that I call the office of the CEO or other high title, asking for that person by name (hoovers.com is a good site for looking that stuff up). I never expect to speak with that person but with that person's gatekeeper. That gatekeeper usually has the authority and power to see past square vs round and just know what's right and get things done. Unlike customer service, executive gatekeepers have high sensitivity to the potential for class action lawsuits or bad publicity -- and in this day and age, anyone can generate a lot of bad publicity on the internet.

I agree that in general EB has a good reputation, and this resolution is responsive and appropriate as I would have expected from them (at the corporate level at least).

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear that they finally came through with a good solution.

Makes you wonder about the overkill on the solution though.  In reality, that is no more sensible than their original refusal to deal with a fairly simple problem.  

I realize that one, or a few, stoves are insignificant, but not a good sign that they ended up losing a lot more money than they originally bargained for in your transaction.  

Be nice if they could just do the right thing, rather than going from one wrong to another wrong, albeit a very genorous wrong in the end.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 11 2012, 10:32 pm)
So, you were berating them for nothing before you even gave them a chance to rectify the situation.

Actually, it was the "berating" that got them to act.

Without it i would have been stuck with their first response, which was "go pound salt."
 Post Number: 11
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many places asking for a supervisor gets you the person in the cubical next to them pretending to be a supervisor.
 Post Number: 12
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which is why you need to change levels, or platforms, before contacting the supervisor.  Hang up and send an email, to a different point in the organization, or send snail mail to the executive offices.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:26 pm)
Many places asking for a supervisor gets you the person in the cubical next to them pretending to be a supervisor.

Hey, if it works, and it usually does for me, I'll keep doing it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear they took care of you and you ended up with the correct Jetboil.
 Post Number: 15
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds to me like they are just covering their @ss.
 Post Number: 16
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have friends who have had great luck putting their grievances on the company's facebook page. Resolution in hours.... or less.
15 replies since Dec. 11 2012, 6:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Eddie Bauer Resolution
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions