2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "The World's Most Dangerous Hike"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 5:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw this headline on Yahoo News and link to an interesting article.  Cheers!

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess the link would have been helpful....

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor....ngerous

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hua Shan is one of the five sacred mountains of China's Daoist religion.  Very nice pics -- thanks for sharing the article!

I've only climbed one of five -- Huang Shan:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given that on the most precarious "plank walk" there are chains you can grab and cables you can clip into, it really doesn't seem all that terribly bad, except in the head of course.

Climbers (especially freeclimbers) do more dangerous things regularly.  Hell, I've been in worse spots (danger-wise) myself than what's pictured in the article.  The dizzying effect of the large cliff faces is the major psychological factor there.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 12 2012, 3:25 pm)
Given that on the most precarious "plank walk" there are chains you can grab and cables you can clip into, it really doesn't seem all that terribly bad, except in the head of course.

Climbers (especially freeclimbers) do more dangerous things regularly.  Hell, I've been in worse spots (danger-wise) myself than what's pictured in the article.  The dizzying effect of the large cliff faces is the major psychological factor there.

Yup. Hua Shan has been a pilgrimage destination (and climb) for Taoists (and others) for thousands of years.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 12 2012, 4:46 pm)

Yup. Hua Shan has been a pilgrimage destination (and climb) for Taoists (and others) for thousands of years.

I have no doubt at all that it's a spectacular hike, and quite a pilgrimage for many thousands of Taoists and many others as well.

Just, the OP title "The World's Most Dangerous Hike" seemed more than a tad overblown.  I'd have blamed it on media sensationalism (hyperbole so common in online headlines), but that's not actually the title of the article either.  I guess "Snow and ice make China's Mount Hua pilgrimage especially dangerous" doesn't quite have the same ring.  Oh well.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 12 2012, 4:23 pm)

(Ben2World @ Dec. 12 2012, 4:46 pm)

I have no doubt at all that it's a spectacular hike, and quite a pilgrimage for many thousands of Taoists and many others as well.

Just, the OP title "The World's Most Dangerous Hike" seemed more than a tad overblown.  I'd have blamed it on media sensationalism (hyperbole so common in online headlines), but that's not actually the title of the article either.  I guess "Snow and ice make China's Mount Hua pilgrimage especially dangerous" doesn't quite have the same ring.  Oh well.

We'll pin it on forum hype then.   I haven't climbed it, but my hunch is that like Mt. Whitney, it's a completely non-technical hike in the summer, but treacherous and dangerous in the thick of a winter storm.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 12 2012, 6:25 pm)

Its still cool but I agree. I saw a guy free climbing the Flatirons in September. And I have seen way more technical free climbs in person.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The word in the title was "hike" not climb...
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Dec. 12 2012, 5:34 pm)
The word in the title was "hike" not climb...

Yeah.  Doesn't really change the point.

Plenty of hikers (especially those going away from the more popular trails) have found themselves in much more precarious spots, without chains and cables to clip into.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate to be so indifferent but I think everyone is right.   :D

Either way, very cool.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep expecting to see a picture of the Most Interesting Man in the World, who seems like an appropriate partner for such a hike.
 Post Number: 13
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiroshimajaro082 @ Dec. 12 2012, 2:53 pm)
I guess the link would have been helpful....

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor....ngerous

:D I just saw this on Yahoo and posted on FB...

No thank you.  Not this hike. No way.

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think what makes it so notable is that it's not a hikers' route, but a pilgrim route.  Well that and the totally ramshackle look of it all, scotch-taped to the face of a cliff.    

I'm with Foggy.  Not for me.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's pretty freaky, but it ain't got nothin' on el Camino del Ray.

http://youtu.be/ZmDhRvvs5Xw

The pathways are bigger, but a LOT more decrepit. I get vertigo just watching the el Camino del Ray videos, but the Hua Shan just doesn't look as scary.

Cheers

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 16
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of my more recent excursions in DV were many orders of magnitude more dangerous.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 17
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TJCeeJay @ Dec. 12 2012, 6:07 pm)
That's pretty freaky, but it ain't got nothin' on el Camino del Ray.

http://youtu.be/ZmDhRvvs5Xw

The pathways are bigger, but a LOT more decrepit. I get vertigo just watching the el Camino del Ray videos, but the Hua Shan just doesn't look as scary.

Cheers
reportedly the state is actually dedicating money to rehab that, put in a parking lot and. I expect set it up for more popular use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caminito_del_Rey
 Post Number: 18
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, dude... gotta disagree with you. I'd rather free climb that than rely on a 100-year old Chinese wooden plank. Yeah... this looks like it meets code:

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 19
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in! If the Chinese gov't won't say how many died on it...I need to see for myself.  But not in the winter.

No way, no how, if there's ice on that.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Dec. 13 2012, 6:13 am)

Sorry, dude... gotta disagree with you. I'd rather free climb that than rely on a 100-year old Chinese wooden plank. Yeah... this looks like it meets code:

When you're clipped in to the cables above, just out of frame of that picture?

Sorry, not that terribly dangerous. I've had to do plenty worse. If it weren't for the safety apparrata I'd likely agree with you.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 21
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be scared, but I think I could handle that.  It would be different if there were no chains/cables.
 Post Number: 22
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You think that's a dangerous trail?  HA!  I'd take it any day of the week over this one.

It's enough to make you f_ _ _ ing goofy!
 Post Number: 23
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:03 am)
You think that's a dangerous trail?  HA!  I'd take it any day of the week over this one.

****ing Goofy...not on my bucket list.  :p

With some family history of vertigo, I'd pack a chute for that boardwalk.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 13 2012, 10:03 am)

That's kinda what my version of "Hell" looks like.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Disney?  Crowded?  Pfffftt...

Sorry, but if you haven't been to Asia, you haven't a clue!  Wanna dip in?  :D

Or try buying a train ticket for the Spring holidays!  :O

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No and no thanks.  Too much.
 Post Number: 27
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:51 am)

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 13 2012, 10:03 am)

That's kinda what my version of "Hell" looks like.

+10000

Ben, your pictures are whatever is worse than hell for me.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's an absurd amount of people packed in both pictures.  I get a mini-anxiety attack when I end up on packed subway train, but at least I know my stop isn't far away.  That bottom picture looks like it could take someone hours to navigate through that crowd!! Yikes!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Absurd?  Picture this your daily  commute.  A totally normal scene at pretty much all Chinese subway stations (also applicable to most all other Asian metros):

God bless America!  We should count our blessings.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 30
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:47 am)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Dec. 13 2012, 6:13 am)
[quote=GoBlueHiker,Dec. 12 2012, 6:25 pm]Given that on the most precarious "plank walk" there are chains you can grab and cables you can clip into, it really doesn't seem all that terribly bad, except in the head of course.

When you're clipped in to the cables above, just out of frame of that picture?

Sorry, not that terribly dangerous. I've had to do plenty worse. If it weren't for the safety apparrata I'd likely agree with you.

I have trust issues. And "Chinese safety apparata" is an oxymoron.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
33 replies since Dec. 12 2012, 5:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "The World's Most Dangerous Hike"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions