2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking makes you smarter, But we already knew this< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Study shows that a long backpacking trip makes your brain more creative. Sounds like a reason to get our employers to pay for bag nights!
Study shows backpacking makes your brain more creative

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some people aren't getting out enough.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We think more clearly after time spent backpacking. No surprise there.

The less electronic distraction, the better for us. No iPhone, better thinking.

But what about GPS ? Are we finding our way contrary to our purpose for being there?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think there's more involved than just deep thoughts. Perhaps oxygenation of the blood that occurs when physical excertion is present affects the processes of the brain.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One word: Endorphins.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Dec. 13 2012, 6:10 am)
Study shows that a long backpacking trip makes your brain more creative...

Even a short trip works wonders as it says;

The most-telling number from the research is 50 percent: as in backpackers scored 50 percent better on a creativity test after four days in nature and away from smartphones, iPods and laptops.

Takes away from I Stayed in a Holiday Express Last Night...so boring

Much better; I stayed in a pristine wilderness last night...yes it does make you sharper and more creative.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not at all very well controlled. The absence from electronics or the exercise etc? Too many variables.
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'd agree that there is a serious need to separate the electronics issue from the exercise issue. Failure to do that is a major flaw, and a flaw which may be present in other such studies.

How much of the mental clarity is due to the exercise? and How much is due to immersion in nature free from electronic gadgets?

However, the lack of controls to answer such questions is very common in social psychology  experiments. So this is not so exceptional in that regard. I'd hope these folks might pursue the questions with a greater rigor.

And the questions could be expanded into many areas of recreation. In that regard, I simply do not ever expect to see "proof," or "conclusive studies." It's the questions that are important.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about the tie to the constructs of "city" life? It may not be the electronics at all but the social aspects of focusing internally. I feel stress when on a trail but feel invigorated when off-trail.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 10
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 13 2012, 5:01 pm)
I feel stress when on a trail but feel invigorated when off-trail.

You are too easily stressed.  You need to toughen up!   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 13 2012, 5:01 pm)
What about the tie to the constructs of "city" life? It may not be the electronics at all but the social aspects of focusing internally. I feel stress when on a trail but feel invigorated when off-trail.

With people especially the other aspect is personal. Having been raised in a beach bar from birth I'm never so at peace as when surrounded by the seeming chaos of that sort of environment. I find all that swirling action quite relaxing while others get sensory overload. It's the way I go back "home".

Makes human behavioral studies way challenging for sure. Benches are much more controlled, theoretically :)

ETA: Hmm Dogfish Head Chicory Stout....
 Post Number: 12
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:00 pm)
Not at all very well controlled. The absence from electronics or the exercise etc? Too many variables.

It was a peer reviewed paper.  If you follow the link to the actual study it is well written and referenced.  I don't know how well respected PLOS in the scientific community but a quick look at their web site appears to be pretty legit.  In all fairness the study does agree with your observation to some extent by stating,  "There are multiple candidates for potential mechanisms underlying the effects observed here and in other studies. It is likely that the cognitive benefits of nature are due to a range of these mechanisms and it will require a sustained program of research to fully understand this phenomenon."

I understand that correlation does not equal causation but as my statistics prof would say you can't ignore it either.  In the end whatever the mechanism it is the effect I am happy to get from the hobby I enjoy so much.
 Post Number: 13
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It just goes to show you why we have so many creative posts here on the forums.
 Post Number: 14
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:00 pm)

I just want to add to charadeur's comments.

When you read the journal article, it's clear that the authors are well aware of this issue, since they write: "A limitation of the current research is the inability to determine if the effects are due to an increased exposure to nature, a decreased exposure to technology, or to other factors associated with spending three days immersed in nature."

Also, they went further and explained how they can address this issue in future studies, when they wrote: "In principle, a 2Χ2 factorial study with high or low levels of nature (N+ or N−, respectively) and high or low levels of technology (T+ or T−, respectively) could shed light on the issue of dissociating the effects of nature and technology on complex problem solving. In the majority of real-world urban environments, T+N− is the norm whereas T−N+ is more common in the outdoor settings."
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So the authors agree with me? Good for them. :)
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally, I am not so sure about it making me smarter.  It does, however, make me more difficult to sleep with, according to reports.  I come back from a trip and I want the room colder.  So much so that I find myself sleeping in the guest bedroom, often for a week or so upon my return.  It seems to take me an adjustment period to be able to sleep in a room warmer than 60*.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a great article, thanks for the share. As an artist whose work is dominated by nature, I always went to the wilderness whenever I needed refreshing, even if my subject matter at the time was far from natural.

I especially like this: "Everything now seems like it has to be evidence-based." in regards to how researchers handle these sorts of studies. I am a firm believer in science, but at the same time, there needs to be some flexibility to go outside the orthodox realm.
 Post Number: 18
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)  I've gotten a few bag nights paid by my employer over the years

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 19
edkras1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently put in for a travel reimbursement when I went up to Wisconsin for an overnight. I guess I was the first to ever put in for a campground fee.
 Post Number: 20
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Life primordial.  Everything built around us is an artificial construct, so it makes sense that Nature is soothing.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
19 replies since Dec. 13 2012, 1:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking makes you smarter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions