2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What does it all mean ?, For big load< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was finally able to cross off one on my bucket life list, by getting to see Native American petroglyphs in the desert of AZ.

It wasn't in the most remote setting, but even for Black Friday, there were still a few spots at the TH, and what the other hikers on the trail were doing, I have no clue.

They were all just running/up down the trail as fast as they could, and only a few even stopped to ask me what I was looking at.

This is what I was looking for, and it was like an Easter Egg hunt for a grown -up. They were hidden everywhere ! Some in open sight, but many took a bit of off trail meandering to find.

(Images are links to a larger image)

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very neat! Reminds me of Three Rivers site in New Mexico.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks!  That is indeed a fabulous site.  The incredible density of glyphs on a handful of surfaces stands in marked contrast to their absence in so many similar places nearby.

What does it all mean?  That's the huge and controversial question. Hopefully some of the other Southwest Cultures afficionados will chime in, too, because it's more than I can bite off by myself.  The foremost recognized experts are very circumspect about hypothesized interpretations, in part because of sensitivity to the surviving cultures to whom they have religious significance, since there isn't much to go on apart from those echoes of the more distant past.  

There are a few symbols that have somewhat commonly accepted interpretations, but there's so much cultural context lost that the obvious part is believed to be a small fraction their full meaning.  

All that aside, there are undoubtedly calendar elements and important astronomical and geographical alignments at most of these sites.  There are clan symbols, depictions of gods and people in ceremonial dress, I could blather on for quite a while ...
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It clearly reads:
The earth will cease to exist after 12/21/2012
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're interested in digging around, these mostly are from the Hohokam culture, and the type are known as the Gila Petroglyph Style (Anthropomorhic, Zoomorphic, or Abstract, as the case may be).  There are older ones mixed in there.  These are mostly 800-1000 years old, but the oldest rock art around there is up to 5000 years old.
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:43 pm)
All that aside, there are undoubtedly calendar elements and important astronomical and geographical alignments at most of these sites.  There are clan symbols, depictions of gods and people in ceremonial dress, I could blather on for quite a while ...

Please do !! I'm a fish out of water trying to figure this out.

This was one of my favorites, the figure of a hand, maybe the artist himself saying "I was here"

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That might be a foot, which isn't as popular as the hand, but still popular.  It also could be a bear print, but I'm going with foot.

Anyway, one of the interpretations of the handprint is that it represents a prayer in itself, or may designate nearby glyphs as a prayer.  Handprints were sometimes added periodically near clan symbols on possible ritual visits, or near depictions of figures in ceremonial dress.

I'm at a complete loss on the abstract figures.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The two best references I know of are:

"Indian Rock Art of the Southwest" by Polly Schaafsma
"Legacy on Stone" by Sally J. Cole

The emphasis is on correlating graphical styles with culture/time/area of occupation.

My favorite synopsis of the relationship between the major cultures and the current state of the academic debate on their evolution is:

"A History of the Ancient Southwest" by Stephen H. Lekson
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 2:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Dec. 13 2012, 10:00 pm)
I was finally able to cross off one on my bucket life list, by getting to see Native American petroglyphs in the desert of AZ.

If that is something that holds your interest, along with being like a trip to another planet, Valley of Fire near Las Vegas has "Petroglyph Canyon" with a scattering of glyphs, and a large number concentrated in one spot.
You could probably find better images than mine, but I'd upload some if you want to see them.
 Post Number: 11
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know if you're able to to ride your bike at Wild Rivers in New Mexico, but you just might be able to. It's a great place North of Taos, not sure if it is what DD is talking about or not. 3 sided shelters in an 800' deep Gorge of the Rio Grande. Great rim car camping too.

If you can down the road hit Natural Bridges on Cedar Mesa. rocky Mountain High shot some of those Petroglyphs a couple of years ago on our way back from the Big Ditch.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 12
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

May I highly recommend:

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.aspx?siteID=34

Very significant site, possibly as old as 11,000 years. Let me know if you are that way and I would be glad to meet you there and give a personal tour.
 Post Number: 13
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 14
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes it is so obvious on what they were telling us, like this one is obviously telling us to get ourselves some cheap sunglasses and to turn up the rock and roll. :D

Another – Party

Not sure what this one is telling us :) :laugh:

I truly enjoy walking around and looking at the glimpses left by people before us to ponder upon.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think City Man's glyphs are Rio Grande Style (Anthropomorphic,  Zoomorphic, Abstract).
 Post Number: 16
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Dec. 13 2012, 10:02 pm)
Very neat! Reminds me of Three Rivers site in New Mexico.

Exactly what I thought of.

SWT, thanks for posting these.  My younger boys (8 and 7) really enjoyed them.  8 y.o. went to AZ with me on business a few years back.  The whole time we were looking at these, he was telling the youngest, "See, they've got all kinds of cool stuff out there."

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
15 replies since Dec. 13 2012, 11:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What does it all mean ?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions