2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: unicycle for Christmas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gorgescrambler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got one when I was in the 8th grade(1967) and got where a ride could last as long as I wanted, as long as I was moving forward. Never could do tight circles or much else. Lot of fun learning, but none of my friends could ride, so it was a solitary thing.
While mtn biking last week I came up on a guy riding his unicycle on the trail. Looked like a great time as well as a great challenge.Now I cannot decide whether to get a cheap one to re-learn on, or go ahead and spend the money and get a good quality trail unicycle.
Any unicyclist here ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can understand the allure.  I can also envision the pain.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You must be the "somebody else" for whom unicycles were intended.
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Long ago a boyfriend had one.  He refered to it as the "eunich cycle."  I couldn't seem to learn.

I have also seen one on a trail. Wild.  For me, I'd rather learn to ride a penny farthing.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never had a Penny Farthing but I did get to ride one and it was a gas. Much easier then I thought it would be.
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can ride a dual unicycle...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Went ahead and got a good trail unicycle.In the first few days I could ride around the cars in my driveway as long as I could put my hand on a car for support.
My wife said to ride somewhere else when she saw the bike shoot out from under me and hit her car.
Yesterday I rode about 20 ft unassisted several times, it felt great. Hopefully by summer my skills will be good enough for a trail.
 Post Number: 8
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gorgescrambler @ Dec. 18 2012, 7:19 pm)
Got one when I was in the 8th grade(1967) and got where a ride could last as long as I wanted, as long as I was moving forward. Never could do tight circles or much else. Lot of fun learning, but none of my friends could ride, so it was a solitary thing.
While mtn biking last week I came up on a guy riding his unicycle on the trail. Looked like a great time as well as a great challenge.Now I cannot decide whether to get a cheap one to re-learn on, or go ahead and spend the money and get a good quality trail unicycle.
Any unicyclist here ?

We crossed a guy on a dirt unicycle heading up a pass a couple years ago. We discovered he was the owner of the Sprinter we saw earlier (we were in the market at the time) and stopped to talk to him. Really cool guy, just out for a quick ride up the road. :)
 Post Number: 9
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To be honest, I'd only get a unicycle as a gift — wrapped in a death wish.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just spent the morning riding, got up to one lap,several times, without a problem, around a large parking lot. 99% of the time the bike shoots out from under me and I am only stepping down or out basicly. Only busted my butt one time. This is fun!!
 Post Number: 11
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen some of the most accomplished bicyclists struggle with unicycles.  Some people just take to it like a fish to water.  If you have the gift then I would hone it and enjoy it.  Unicyclists smile like crazy and I'd imagine it's because they know they're doing something that many cannot.  Live it up!

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update on my progress.Each day I have spent 30 to 60 min praticeing. Can now ride any distance I want(untill my legs give out actually). The next big goal was to be able to freemount(to get on and ride without any assistance). Got that this week!! My ratio of failed attemps to success went 50 to 1 mon, 10 to 1 tues, by fri I got it every time. Today I am headed to some local trails, that are mostly flat, to work on getting over rougher terrian than the paved and dirt road I have been working on. This learning curve is a blast. My unicycle has a 26" fat tire for trail riding. There is a 36" for road riding and speed that looks interesting for the future.
As far as trail riding goes I still have to learn to idle and bunny hop to do any good trail riding, but it will come with pratice.
 Post Number: 13
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had one when I was about 12 or 13.  The furthest I was able to ride was about 3 blocks.  I found if I rested the wheel against the curbing, I could start off unassisted pretty easily.  I actually managed a couple of times to ride down my front porch steps without busting my head or other things. :p

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Jan. 22 2013, 4:51 pm)
I had one when I was about 12 or 13.  The furthest I was able to ride was about 3 blocks.  I found if I rested the wheel against the curbing, I could start off unassisted pretty easily.  I actually managed a couple of times to ride down my front porch steps without busting my head or other things. :p

Yea, back when I was a kid I also learned by backing up to a wall or curb and also, at first, I used two sticks to help(much like hiking poles).Going down steps was never doable, just going down steep hills was an effort just as it is right now.
I am finding right now that going up moderate grades is a challenge, in that I have to lean forward so much more than my skill level is ready for. I surprised myself this weekend on my first trail ride, that riding over small roots was not as difficult as I expected it to be.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have stuck with the muni over the past 6 months. Moved from the 26" to a 29"(with a disk brake). I now ride the muni on mtn bike trails on a regular basis. The brake has opened up downhills that even on my mtn bike are difficult. Today was the first time I have been mtn biking in 4 months and have only been hiking twice. My life has been consumed by the Muni. So much fun!
14 replies since Dec. 18 2012, 9:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply unicycle for Christmas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions