2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: off topic: I-70 travel conditions, Saturday between Columbus/Baltimore< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 8:54 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, we are driving east for Christmas after all (trying to see my Grandmother one last time and meet the new niece - very bittersweet!).  We don't usually travel at Christmas for weather reasons.  So of course this year we are getting dumped on royally (we expect about 15" of snow here in Madison by tomorrow night, but we think the roads will get cleared before we leave Friday afternoon).

We think we can make Columbus, OH, on Friday night.  We are avoiding I-80/I-76 because we think we'll have significant lake effect snow and crappy road conditions to deal with on Friday afternoon.

For anyone living between Columbus and Baltimore, how bad are you expecting the roads to be on Saturday?  I think once we get into MD we'll be fine, but it's the getting through WV that bothers me more.

For all the years the weather has to be this bad right before Christmas, it has to be this one. :(

TIA!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MD will be fine.  We have no temperature forecasts below 40 degrees for the 10 day in Baltimore and no real precip either I think.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm about an hour north of Columbus, right on I-71... forecast is for 25-30mph winds and rain turning to snow overnight on Friday/Saturday...the temperature will be the real deciding factor, supposed to hover right around freezing. Just be aware and go slow, watch the bridges/overpasses - shouldn't be too bad.
Only warning I would have for you is that we haven't really had any snow yet this year (outside of the Cleveland snow belt area) so locals will be driving like idiots... many seem to forget how to drive on snow over the summer.  :O
 Post Number: 4
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jim - thanks, I had a feeling that would be the case.  I still can't believe that I'm trading my guaranteed-White-Christmas for green and/or rain (ah, the Christmases of my misspent youth)  :;):   But, my grandma is worth it.

SCKuhn -Thanks!  The same happens here in WI as well, this is our first big snow as well (several weeks late as far as I'm concerned).  I'm actually half-hoping for that snow day tomorrow so that I don't have to run the carpool in the afternoon!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 5
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

here in Indy, there's supposed to be a transition from rain to ice/snow sometime during the course of the day on Thursday.  Assuming you'd come down from Chicago via I-69 or Peoria via I-74 to avoid the I-80 corridor, you're likely to encounter that transition zone somewhere along your drive on Thursday.  so far, there's not much accumulation predicted because it's going to start off Thursday in the 50's and the ground will be too warm for anything to stay put.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic....C%20USA

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 6
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I70 Pa. and I68 Wv. are forcasting 6" to 10" of snow with high winds from late tonight (thur) to Saturday afternoon. From the laurel highlands to chestnut ridge area in Garret county Md.I think all the major highways even Pa turnpike go through that stretch of mnts. Small area but gets some nasty weather. Try and get some weather reports as you cross Ohio.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW if it were me I'd head straight south and do an end-around. The road conditions in that storm are crazy looking.

Unless the various state department of transportation websites give it clear sailing indication.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 20 2012, 1:34 pm)
FWIW if it were me I'd head straight south and do an end-around. The road conditions in that storm are crazy looking.

Unless the various state department of transportation websites give it clear sailing indication.

biggest impact from the storm down here in Indy has been the wind.  it's really starting to pick up.  they're talking about 60mph winds overnight.  only 1-3" of snow forecast overnight, but with those winds, it will make for some nasty conditions tomorrow.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing to add from southern Cal -- except wishing you and your family a safe drive and a joyous Christmas get together!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

60 mph? Yikes, and also with that wind the drifting snow will get piled up for sure: scrape off a couple square miles and pile it all up on a highway cut and you get some serious depth.

OTOH there's a tremendous aquarium in Atlanta....

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/explore-the-aquarium/
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 20 2012, 3:27 pm)
60 mph? Yikes, and also with that wind the drifting snow will get piled up for sure: scrape off a couple square miles and pile it all up on a highway cut and you get some serious depth.

OTOH there's a tremendous aquarium in Atlanta....

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/explore-the-aquarium/

not too many highway cuts along I-70 before you get to PA.

and especially not before Columbus, OH.  what you do have is a lot of open country between Indy and Columbus.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well fences, overpasses and that sort of thing are also drift generators. Snow doesn't need much of an excuse to drift into huge piles.
 Post Number: 13
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a dusting here, north of Pittsburgh. An inch or so called for today and several inches tonight. A little more forcast down by the Pa. Wv. border. Doesn't sound too bad unless you happen to be driving in a squall and the plows haven't gotten to it yet.
 Post Number: 14
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update from central Ohio....
Ice on ground under about 2" of snow and currently snowing... winds gusting to 50mph. Scattered power outages due to winds.
Most highways are clear in the right lane, but left lane is snow/slush covered.
Blasted school were open today with NO delay and probably 1/4 of the high school kids ended up in a ditch on their way to school! :angry:
'Black ice' is the concern here - wind polished roadways!
Just be careful and watch out for the other crazy drivers!
13 replies since Dec. 19 2012, 8:54 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply off topic: I-70 travel conditions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions