2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: older< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 3:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tomorrows. Hey, what happened. The Dead. External frame packs. Stoned girl on the beach. Geo survey maps. Golly, I'm old. Knees. Smoke. What happened? Creedence.  kids grown. You tube? Long ago. Slower now. What happened?

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What happened?  Life unfolding just as it always has.  Enjoy.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Flashbacks! They promised flashbacks! Where are my flashbacks??

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yeah life goes on, Long after the thrill of livin is gone :D

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(City Man @ Dec. 19 2012, 1:26 pm)
Oh yeah life goes on, Long after the thrill of livin is gone :D

Nah... like most people, I believe we are merely experiencing Chapter 1.  Lots more excitement ahead.

And if I am wrong?  Not worried at all -- because by definition, I won't ever know!  The brain ceases.  All senses stopped.

So at the end, a "can't lose" proposition.  Not so bad really.   :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Grizzly James Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah yes, fleeting are the moments, this slow-ebbing passage of time we call life. I was noting that the other day as well, how a disturbing amount of my allotment is gone already. Not sure I like it, but if anything, it does kindle a sincere desire within me, to take the scenic path more. For the more we rush around , it seems the swifter our calendars flip. And many a time we continue in this rush, trapped,  from one important thing to another, and miss out on the moment at hand. Time sails by, and we come to learn we haven't lived at all. I am pleased to report however, that I have found a way to curb this problem, albeit briefly. It involves lighting up the charcoal grill, and doing some BBQ. I wrote it down once. I'll find it and paste it for you.

There is a simple pleasure in charcoal, not soon lost after the cook is done. You go to put on your grilling jacket the next day, and it smells like a hundred and one campfires, reminding you of the good life. Lighting charcoal also takes time, and in this day of the drive through mentality, that is an oddity indeed. But one worth doing. For the smoke that rises gently from your stack is at once poetic, and a small victory in an otherwise busy life. When smoke rises from your charcoal grill, it is a signal to yourself and those around you, that for a while at least, you’re in no hurry. That you are taking something you love, grilling, and not betraying the moment for the tragedy of haste. Such action confounds your peers, and grabs the sun by the tail as it were, and pauses it there in sky, extending the moment for the moment’s sake. The busy world can spin without you now, for there is meat to be cooked, and joy to be had, patron to those who choose the scenic path, and the smoke which rises there. Amen.

Reminds me of the immortal words of the late Colin Fletcher. "Anything worth doing in this life, is worth doing slowly"

He may have been on to something.

Yup, I've figured out all sorts of things at my BBQ grill. But desert dweller's missing flash backs elude me. Sorry old chap.

-GJ
 Post Number: 7
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Grizzly James @ Dec. 19 2012, 4:51 pm)

"Anything worth doing in this life, is worth doing slowly"

haven't you noticed how "older" people walk slowly, take their time at check outs, etc.. I used to think it was ineptness, but ,in reality, it is a savoring "worth doing".

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 8
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Dec. 19 2012, 4:48 pm)
...take their time at check outs...

That is because they write checks

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Dec. 19 2012, 3:33 pm)
Flashbacks! They promised flashbacks! Where are my flashbacks??

I get trails occasionally...

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find it helps to remember that middle age is however old your parents are.

Of course, by that calculation, I'm expecting us all to live to 168, but never mind.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
OldKansan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Older people also go slower because after a lifetime of learning from our mistakes, we have a lot more data to process in order to find new mistakes to make.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Older people also go slower... because they can't go any faster.  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 13
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tell me about it!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tell you about what?  What were we talking about?  And would you please speak up, I can't read lips.
 Post Number: 15
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eh?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had to talk to the intake nurse today about my foot surgery in Jan.  She wanted to know if any other joints hurt. . . I felt like listing the ones that didn't.

She also said that I have to have a negative pregnancy test first.  Apparently the trouble with 49 is it gets you coming and going (and no, I am NOT pregnant and have NO intention of getting that way ever again thank you very much! But I still have to have the blood test to prove it).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Coming and going"  Funny, since 50 is the year they want to start the scopes.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 18
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tuesday I had my annual  digital date with the good doctor.  He wants me to share some love with the urologist.  I'm debating it, but because I'm fit with no family history and no indicators I am leaning away from having a biopsy should it be recommended. How do you feel about PSA test?
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I resent all the "Old" jokes. Just because you get older doesn't mean - - - Uh? - - -Hmmm? - - - What were we talking about again?
 Post Number: 20
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like I said on the apocalypse thread, it's been a good run. It was really traumatic for me to turn 30 and know my youth was gone. But if I could turn back the clock, I would go back to sometime after 30 and skip all that angst & awkwardness.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

35 was a big one for me. Hit the half way point of the biblical "3 score & 10" (70). 60 on the other hand was great. I did a Grand Canyon, 4 day, Rim to Rim with my oldest son & my son-in-law.
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 20 2012, 6:03 pm)

:laugh:

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last time I went skiing with my boys I was having a little trrouble on a particularly steep slope.  My youngest insightfullly commented, "Dad, you ski like an old man."  To which I replied, "That's because I am an old man.  But I'm still skiing."  Could be worse.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 24
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is hard to deny that one is not getting old when you get your Medicare card!
At least I still get out and backpack and paddle it just a little slower than when I was a young fifty something.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is this Leisure World now?  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Dec. 20 2012, 9:34 pm)
Tuesday I had my annual  digital date with the good doctor.  He wants me to share some love with the urologist.  I'm debating it, but because I'm fit with no family history and no indicators I am leaning away from having a biopsy should it be recommended. How do you feel about PSA test?

Take all the precautions you can.  

It's the flip side of your issue (sorry about the sort of pun) but I know a case where procrastination on colon issues is likely to be fatal.   Another where medical system delays cost a friend a colostomy.
 Post Number: 27
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 20 2012, 8:03 pm)

Started at 35.  Thank you, family history.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 28
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Dec. 19 2012, 2:03 pm)
Tomorrows. Hey, what happened. The Dead. External frame packs. Stoned girl on the beach. Geo survey maps. Golly, I'm old. Knees. Smoke. What happened? Creedence.  kids grown. You tube? Long ago. Slower now. What happened?

Still use the e-frame as my main pack.  Fortunately, the load's getting lighter as the boys are getting older.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 29
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Dec. 21 2012, 12:31 pm)
At least I still get out and backpack and paddle it just a little slower than when I was a young fifty something.

That's what's important.   The speed at which you do it is irrelevant.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
28 replies since Dec. 19 2012, 3:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply older
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions