2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wow! This photo of Saturn by Cassini is amazing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NASA.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)  Very cool.

Took me awhile staring at it to make sense of what I was looking at.  Reading the caption first helps. :p

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice.  There's one up somewhere (maybe APOD) that has Earth in the background, but I don't have time to look for it right now.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why link when you can just show the picture from NASA?  HTML MAN to the rescue!  :p

And yes, that is way cool.  Thanks.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:09 pm)
Why link when you can just show the picture from NASA?  HTML MAN to the rescue!  :p

And yes, that is way cool.  Thanks.

Well, one reason I posted the link is that there is more information on the site. Like GoBlueHiker mentioned, the image is explained in the caption.

Sometimes a little extra effort goes a long way.

Edit to add; Plus, the post is exactly how I wanted it. I wanted to link to NASA. Doing so gives a little more credence. You affectively changed the appearance and "intended ambience" of my original post by adding the image. Plus, you didn't include any link to the photo's source. That is a no-no to me.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet picture.  Wish tickets weren't so darn expensive.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@ desert dweller

Aren't we grumpy today?  I didn't include the link because you already have.  But regardless, it's your thread -- so if you don't wish to have the photo shown directly -- just delete your post (which contains the picture) immediately -- and I will delete mine -- and we'll be back to just the link.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:23 pm)
@ desert dweller

Aren't we grumpy today?  I didn't include the link because you already have.  But regardless, it's your thread -- so if you don't wish to have the photo shown directly -- just delete your post (which contains the picture) immediately -- and I will delete mine -- and we'll be back to just the link.   :;):

Certainly not grumpy!

In fact I'm elated. I took today off from work in anticipation of the world ending. But, it didn't so I got to ease into my day making breakfast around 9:30, doing dishes, turning up the stereo and having some good music on, getting some clothes into the washer and lubing up the bike and airing up the tires. Soon, I'll be riding torwards campus and downtown. Pretty nice day so far.

I guess what prompted my reply to your post was the nit-picking thing about your choice of introductory words. You kind of implied that I didn't know how to use html code to embed a photo and that you felt you had to rescue me.

That's all. No big thing, really. I don't want to delete anything.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry for the negative implication... I was just trying to self stage a grand entrance for HTML MAN.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:56 pm)
Very nice.  There's one up somewhere (maybe APOD) that has Earth in the background, but I don't have time to look for it right now.

The NASA article has a link to the picture with earth, but I don't see it...

ETA: Of course, I found it a couple seconds after this post...but man, that's tiny it's no bigger than the tip of a pen even at full size!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty amazing.  Thanks for showing it to us.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
mbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is still my favorite Cassini-Huygens photo: the binary system Alpha Centauri A-B viewed over the rings of Saturn.

Post Number: 14
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful picture.  Thanks for the link (and the picture).

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 15
Bootsarewalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics. Isn't amasing what God has done. Merry Chirsmas everyone.
 Post Number: 16
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

snippet:

NASA's Cassini spacecraft has delivered a glorious view of Saturn, taken while the spacecraft was in Saturn's shadow. The cameras were turned toward Saturn and the sun so that the planet and rings are backlit. (The sun is behind the planet, which is shielding the cameras from direct sunlight.)
====================

Thus the Sun is behind Saturn and we are looking at the underside of the rings.  Am wondering why on both sides there is a dark section at top  half around the edge of the planet?  Maybe the mosaic is a time lapse?  Otherwise would expect those sections to be illuminated?   The greenish bands at the top of the planet are the rings on this shadowed side of the planet though in shade, illuminated enough to be distinct.   They do not seem to align with the rings.  Thus maybe a manipulated image where the planet is superimposed on the background?

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 17
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazing photo.

Anyone know if there are rings around ur anus?
 Post Number: 18
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cowgiano @ Dec. 22 2012, 12:20 pm)
Amazing photo.

Anyone know if there are rings around ur anus?

I don't know but there is around Miannis.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
17 replies since Dec. 21 2012, 1:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wow! This photo of Saturn by Cassini is amazing
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions