2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: feral cats< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 8:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There seems to be an explosion of feral cats everywhere.  They amount to an invasive species, however they are legal protected by law in every state that I'm aware off.  Should legal protections be removed?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Dec. 22 2012, 8:43 pm)
There seems to be an explosion of feral cats everywhere.  They amount to an invasive species, however they are legal protected by law in every state that I'm aware off.  Should legal protections be removed?

Yes.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 3
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had/have huge problems with them in the area I grew up in Australia. They're difficult to remove, but something should be done; they're ecogically awful.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NYS ECL § 11-0529.  Cats hunting birds

1. Any person over the age of twenty-one years possessing a hunting license may.. humanely destroy cats at large found hunting or killing any protected wild bird or with a dead bird of any protected species in its possession.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Here you go..   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben, I think you misunderstand my point.  Feral cats are not bothering my personal space.  It is the larger issue.  In my observations, I have notice a sharp increase in recent years.  Maybe that just corresponds to increase in human population.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 22 2012, 9:15 pm)
NYS ECL § 11-0529.  Cats hunting birds

1. Any person over the age of twenty-one years possessing a hunting license may.. humanely destroy cats at large found hunting or killing any protected wild bird or with a dead bird of any protected species in its possession.

That would seem to be a pretty good start.
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grew up on the border of Solvay, NY.  Feral cats were never a problem.
 Post Number: 9
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

legalize the use of cat meat in roadside tamale stands.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 10
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess we could deploy the "millions of qualified active and retired police; active, reserve and retired military; security professionals; certified firefighters and rescue personnel; and an extraordinary corps of patriotic, trained qualified citizens in devising a protection plan for every" ecosystem. That would no doubt solve the problem. :)

Signed, Carl LaPierre

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A while back, this was a surprisingly controversial topic at HikeArizona.  There's a big feral cat population at the Gilbert Riparian Preserve, which is also home to a lot of birds that could do without the extra cats, IMO.
 Post Number: 12
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kill 'em all. I despise feral cats as much as feral hogs.
 Post Number: 13
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a good article on same in today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012....hp&_r=0

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 14
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 6:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Dec. 22 2012, 11:58 pm)

And almost as much as feral children.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My neighbor has implemented a very effective "Don't ask don't tell' program in this regard.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 16
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thats the nice thing about having the Coyotes move back in the my neighborhood. They keep the population of cats, rabbits and skunks down outside the fenced in yard and my dogs keep the cats and Coyotes out of inside the fence. If I could only figure out how to get the dogs not to bark at the Coyotes when they come to nap in the sun in my micro prairie or on the compost pile.
 Post Number: 17
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As much as I like cats, feral and even domestic cats can devastate some bird populations.  The only solution to feral cats is to eliminate them.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Dec. 22 2012, 8:04 pm)
legalize the use of cat meat in roadside tamale stands.

Cat.....the other white meat
 Post Number: 19
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whatta'ya mean by 'other' white meat?   :p

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 20
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have feral dogs, so went the feral cat problem, now what to do about the feral dogs?

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 21
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I kind of live where the cold of the Rockies meets the cold of the Northern Plains. Not very cozy for feral cats. Result is that there may be websites that refer to feral cats in the state, but I've never heard of any dens or nests around here. Not good climate for them, especially with healthy coyote, bobcat, and mountain lion populations.

You could probably find a rancher's barn with a cat population, but the cats are not truly feral. They live on the mice that live on the grain left over in the barn. So the ranchers think the cats somehow do them a service by controlling the mice.

But feral cats and dogs are a humongous problem. Even in my own state, when feral dogs do the damage, wolves get the blame. But the fact remains that feral or uncontrolled domestic dogs do far more damage than wolves.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 22
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kill em all.....big problem in some parts of Utah.....legal to as well.
 Post Number: 23
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(City Man @ Dec. 23 2012, 1:21 pm)
We have feral dogs, so went the feral cat problem, now what to do about the feral dogs?

Feral .223?

--------------
 Post Number: 24
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 23 2012, 11:47 am)

Feral .223?

Yer crazy, a 22/250 is waaaaaaay better.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 25
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Dec. 23 2012, 3:08 pm)

(eyebp @ Dec. 23 2012, 11:47 am)

Feral .223?

Yer crazy, a 22/250 is waaaaaaay better.

Rumi

Are we trying to kill these things efficiently or have some fun?

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bobby?

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Travis, I know Newcastle had a huge population of feral cats.  My Mother in law always live trapped them and found homes for the kittens and had the adults neutered and spade and released.  She was instrumental in getting a cat wing on the Weston County humane society but the feral cats found plenty of places to shelter and survive the Wyoming winter in the wild.

Although my Father-in-law fed the turkeys and deer which meant that the mountain lions came in closer and once he saw one walking off with the neighbors cat in its jaws, so I'm sure more than one went that way too.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 28
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Dec. 24 2012, 9:58 am)
Travis, I know Newcastle had a huge population of feral cats.  My Mother in law always live trapped them and found homes for the kittens. . . .

I wouldn't know about Newcastle or other little towns. I haven't lived there for decades. But that's neat what your mother in law did.

I guess I was thinking more of rural areas in the foothills or out in the country.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 29
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 24 2012, 11:22 am)

(Echo @ Dec. 24 2012, 9:58 am)
Travis, I know Newcastle had a huge population of feral cats.  My Mother in law always live trapped them and found homes for the kittens. . . .

I wouldn't know about Newcastle or other little towns. I haven't lived there for decades. But that's neat what your mother in law did.

I guess I was thinking more of rural areas in the foothills or out in the country.

in most places, feral cats are strongly associated with humans.  they either require supplemental feeding to survive, or they live off of the mice and rats that live off of our garbage.

feral cats tend to fare better on their own in more arid environments where there are a lot of small animals (lizards, rodents, birds, marsupials with few defenses against them, etc).

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 30
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Time to start lubing up the slingshot.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
35 replies since Dec. 22 2012, 8:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply feral cats
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions