2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Holiday Hare, ..or, The Rumball Hike......< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Holiday Hare

Woodsie and I had stayed in town far too many weekends and it was time to head to the high country.  We were on the road, headed north, by 6am, rum balls in tow, thanks to Woodsie.  It was light by the time we pulled into the Glacier Gorge Parking Lot in RMNP, so we had a few rum balls (hey, it’s 5:00 somewhere).  

As we sat in the car watching the trees across the road bending in the high winds, I mentioned that fact that we could just drive around the park, but a couple of rum balls later we were pulling on our warmer layers and donning our packs.  We were both tired, me from my 10 hours a day at work and Woodsie from weeks of a continual cough, and felt we probably wouldn’t be out for very long, and the trail would be fairly packed up to the falls, so we left the snowshoes in the car.  Just up to Alberta Falls, take some pictures of the frozen falls and turn around.

Along this trail, in the wintertime, we always see lots of snowshoe hare tracks and we weren’t disappointed this time.  Woodsie mentioned that maybe we’d actually see a snowshoe hare this trip.  Yeah right.  Many, many winters we have looked, and looked, for these illusive hares, including last winter when we tromped all over off trail (like a couple of dumb bunnies) following tracks, looking under logs and at the bases of trees and bushes, in the middle of Snowshoe Hare Central, not one sighting.  Tons of tracks, pooh, chewed foliage, but not one hair of a hare.

Up we tromped through the woods, across wooden bridges over frozen creeks, enjoying the rocks, each with a snowcap, when almost to Alberta Falls, and I hear Debbie’s loud whisper.  I turn around and she’s pointing into the woods and then making bunny ears with her fingers.  No way.  Really?  Cool!  Really?  I slowly make my way back towards her, hoping not to scare the snowshoe hare, and then I see it.  Nestled at the base of a tree, in the neatest little hollow of snow.  Just a ball of fluff with ears tipped in the faintest gray sticking up and tiny nose twitching.  I don’t know how she saw it, but we were both sure glad she did.  We took pictures and finally headed on up hill.  

What energy we got from that Holiday Hare!  On past the falls, up and up the switchbacks, then post holing became more frequent, but the snow sculptures made by the wind were many, varied and entertaining ---waves, tiny towers, dinosaur rippled backs, nipples, bowls around rocks.  We turned the corner to the flat trail cut into the gorge cliffs.  Then, wham, in the face big winds.  Ground blown clear of all snow.  We took a few pictures of the mountains beyond and called it time to turn around.

Then, something really cool.  When we got back to the place we had seen the snowshoe hare, it was still there!  No way!  Really? Cool!  It’s hard to be quietly excited.  We just couldn’t believe he was still there, but we’d sure take this second dose of …OK, let’s all sing it……  “a snowshoe hare under a pine tree”.  

We also saw lots of squirrel tracks and one dark gray squirrel, many of those wonderful, lacy mousekin tracks, chickadees, magpies, and very fuzzy elk, running mule deer.

Back at the car, more rum balls……..OK, OK, Woodsie, fine, Irish Cream Balls!   Good day in the mountains.  Ah, rejuvenated!  

I’m hoping Woodsie will attach some pictures.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope she attaches some pics, too.  It sounds like a wonderful time. Great that you saw a snowshoe hare. Thanks for posting.
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a wonderful day!  Enjoying your winter vicariously, here in the land of eternal sun--wait, scratch that-- horizontal rain.  Snowshoe hare.  Wow.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know what you ladies do that attracts the wind so much.  I seem to remember another hike that was a bit breezy.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, pics please.  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 7
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:D

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Dec. 23 2012, 8:49 am)
. . . What energy we got from that Holiday Hare!  On past the falls, up and up the switchbacks, then post holing . . .

Isn't that the way it works! What a great feeling when some discovery propels us forward!

Thanks for the trip report, Mtngrl. Always a pleasure.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a good day it was! Irish Cream Balls, snow, and a snowshoe hare! Plus the kind of laughing where you can't catch your breath  :laugh:

We were both so excited to finally spot the elusive snowshoe hare. In all my years of winter hiking/snowshoeing, this is only the second time I've seen a snowshoe hare in its winter coat. Mtngrl and I contained our excitement inside ourselves and did not flush the hare out of its hiding place. It is winter, after all, and all the woodland creatures need to conserve their energy.

Mice tracks in the snow. We always get a kick out of seeing these tiny, perfect tracks in the snow.

A pine cone on a pedestal. We decided this cone thinks a lot of itself  ???  

Rock with a backbone

Elk girls soaking up the sun

Snowy woods

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A frozen Alberta Falls

Windblown trail

Hiding hare

And finally - the snowshoe hare!

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 23 2012, 10:39 am)
I don't know what you ladies do that attracts the wind so much.  I seem to remember another hike that was a bit breezy.

Would you rather we attract the wind or pass the wind? :p  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you so very much

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 13
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very, very nice!  Love the sunset (?), elk, and bunnies!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 14
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Easter came early this year!

I'm glad we don't have any snow yet, but it's nice to see you two getting out in it.
 Post Number: 15
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the photos, Woodsie.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
14 replies since Dec. 23 2012, 10:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Holiday Hare
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions