2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Only Thing That Can Survive Hell on Earth?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 6:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Read this heart-breaking but inspiring CNN story about a woman who died after 42 years in a coma -- a world record -- her family's unstoppable love for her -- and how in her vegetative state -- she managed to inspire countless people all around the world!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read the whole story, and if something like that ever happened to me, I only pray that my family would accept the fact that the only thing left in the hospital bed was an empty shell, pull the plug and get on with the rest of their lives.
 Post Number: 3
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 23 2012, 8:26 pm)
I read the whole story, and if something like that ever happened to me, I only pray that my family would accept the fact that the only thing left in the hospital bed was an empty shell, pull the plug and get on with the rest of their lives.

x2
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 23 2012, 5:26 pm)

Hopefully this is something you have communicated with your loved ones -- or even better, committed in writing in a durable power of attorney.

In the case of the coma woman, she was a terrified 16 year old girl before succumbing to her coma.  And mom being mom, her mother stayed at her side until the day of her own death.  Wow. Can words ever describe a mother's love?

Also heart warming was the doctor's commitment to treating his patient for free -- over 42 years!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 23 2012, 8:26 pm)

+1
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 23 2012, 8:57 pm)

Hopefully this is something you have communicated with your loved ones -- or even better, committed in writing in a durable power of attorney.

In the case of the coma woman, she was a terrified 16 year old girl before succumbing to her coma.  And mom being mom, her mother stayed at her side until the day of her own death.  Wow.  Can words ever describe a mother's love?

Andrea Yates killed her kids believing that doing so would assure that they would be in everlasting happiness with Jesus, even though by doing so she believed that she would spend eternity in hell.

Not all sacrifices are to be admired.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 23 2012, 6:05 pm)

In the case of the coma woman, she was a terrified 16 year old girl before succumbing to her coma.  And mom being mom, her mother stayed at her side until the day of her own death.  Wow.  Can words ever describe a mother's love?

Andrea Yates killed her kids believing that doing so would assure that they would be in everlasting happiness with Jesus, even though by doing so she believed that she would spend eternity in hell.

I don't think anyone (maybe except you) will confuse a mother's devotion over 42 years with Andrea's moment of breakdown (or whatever) as being even remotely comparable.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 23 2012, 9:09 pm)

(nogods @ Dec. 23 2012, 6:05 pm)

I don't think anyone (maybe except you) will confuse a mother's devotion over 42 years with Andrea's moment of breakdown (or whatever) as being even remotely comparable.

It amazes how many people lack the ability to reason between analogous situations.

Reminds of the time a friend said he was going to plant an apple in the backyard because he thought it would grow into a tree that had dollar bills for leaves.  

When I pointed out to him that his attempt to plant an orange in his back yard for the same purpose the previous year was a failure, he just replied "you are mixing up apples with oranges."

And so say you the same.
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most pathetic story I have seen in a long time.

Life is for living, not for sitting and watching a vegetable.  I wonder who this mother was abandoning with this stupid vigil.

Ben, what is it that you are so afraid of??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Afraid?  Au contraire.

I don't see love, devotion and sacrifice -- freely given -- as pathetic at all.

My folks are in their upper 70s and 80s -- still in pretty robust health.  As of now, I've been pretty free to travel around the world and all... yeah, living life, but when the time comes when they need me, I WANT to be able to take care of them.  Not out of heroism or matyrdom -- but because they gave me so much.  Something about being loved and loving in return.

But we won't know until we are there.  I hope I will do a good 'job' of loving in return.  And I find this story absolutely inspiring.  As did the doctor -- and most everybody else who lived  the story.  YMMV.

--------------
9 replies since Dec. 23 2012, 6:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Only Thing That Can Survive Hell on Earth?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions