2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tiz the season for< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 12:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Home Repairs!

I spent a good part of Friday evening replacing the fan/limiter switch in our furnace.  It cost $135.00

Today, the main circuit breaker in out home popped.....second time in two weeks.  Even with the furnace, washer, dryer and dishwasher running, there's no way we're running close to 150 amps.  I found a used one online for $99.

Granted, I'm saving a great deal of money since I can do the work myself, but still.......It seems like stuff like this always happens around this time of year.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You bought a used main circuit breaker? Online?  ???
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fixed the cruise control on a car "new" to me a couple days ago. The dealership knew what was wrong, I confirmed what was wrong, and gave me a price ($50) for the repair. The morning of the "repair", I sat for two hours waiting. When the guy came in to tell me it was repaired, instead he told me they just finished diagnostics. I told him, "It was the brake switch, a $22 part. We already went through this. You told me to get permission from Kia for the repair." He then proceeds to tell me it is going to cost $230 for the repair and they are waiting for Kai to give them permission. I told him, "that wasn't the agreement we had. Give me my keys. I'll do the repair myself." He said, "But what about the diagnostics and all my labor?" My response, "I suggest that you get my keys and stop wasting anymore time than you already have. That repair takes fifteen minutes and doesn't even require a screwdriver. The only reason I was going to let you do it was to create a relationship and to save me from getting my shirt dirty and because Kia authorized it. Now, get me my keys."

I went down the street, picked up the part for $18 and went home and changed it in less than ten minutes. I did have to use a flathead screwdriver to get the clip off the existing brake switch.

My last DIY was a heater ignition switch which took me five minutes and $27 for the part. The furnace maintenance company wanted over $500 for it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Dec. 24 2012, 11:13 am)

It's a reputable firm.  They test them and refurbish if necessary.  It has a one year warranty, just like the new ones they sell, but the new ones cost $250.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 24 2012, 1:49 pm)

(cgaphiker @ Dec. 24 2012, 11:13 am)

It's a reputable firm.  They test them and refurbish if necessary.  It has a one year warranty, just like the new ones they sell, but the new ones cost $250.

China mailing address?   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't laugh, my favorite place to buy batteries (I buy CR2032s in lots of 1,000) is

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com
 Post Number: 7
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sigh, I know the feeling. 2 of our bathroom fans died. And required going into the "attic". Yuck. Now we have a random leak over a kitchen window :( Up next: a roofer.

Oh frikkin' weeee.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 24 2012, 4:57 pm)
Don't laugh, my favorite place to buy batteries (I buy CR2032s in lots of 1,000) is

What the hell are you running with all those cr2032s?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 24 2012, 3:12 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 24 2012, 4:57 pm)

What the hell are you running with all those cr2032s?

8 replies since Dec. 24 2012, 12:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tiz the season for
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions