2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yet Another Isolated Incident?  Or...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 1:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most all of us aren't shooting at strangers.  But shooting incidents keep occuring!   This latest one is particularly sad.  :(

CNN:  Four firefighters were shot, two fatally, while responding to a fire in upstate New York... Investigators believe the suspect had deliberately set a trap to lure them to the scene.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totally insane. Strange to think I ride my bike down that stretch of road a couple times each year.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Being a Battalion Chief on a Fire Department I would hate to have this happen to any of my firefighters. We respond to too many scenes where we have to wait back a few blocks and wait for the Police to secure the scene before we come into it. Things like domestic incidents, assaults, fights, shootings, stabbings, etc. It just crazy out there any more. I can see people hating the Police but we, the Fire Department, are supposed to be the good guys. Yet we have had people try to fight with us while trying to help a relative or friend of theirs.
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My brother used to be a paramedic in Detroit.  There were parts of town where they would purposely turn off their lights and siren so people would not shoot at them.  This was SOP.

He has some stories...
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 24 2012, 4:54 pm)
My brother used to be a paramedic in Detroit.  There were parts of town where they would purposely turn off their lights and siren so people would not shoot at them.  This was SOP.

He has some stories...

I never had to use it but I carried a .380 when I was an EMT in Atlanta. A lot of us did.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 24 2012, 1:59 pm)
Most all of us aren't shooting at strangers.  But shooting incidents keep occuring!   This latest one is particularly sad.  :(

CNN:  Four firefighters were shot, two fatally, while responding to a fire in upstate New York... Investigators believe the suspect had deliberately set a trap to lure them to the scene.

They have been occurring. Its just big in the news right now.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya, no need for gun control in this country.  I can't imagine why anyone would think so.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He has some stories...

I spent my formative years in one of those parts of town.  I took Mrs. big_load on a drive past the house I grew up in, but she didn't get a very good look.  The gun pointed at us sent my foot to floor.
 Post Number: 9
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We need to end this and finally dispose of all guns.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 24 2012, 4:04 pm)

He has some stories...

I spent my formative years in one of those parts of town.  I took Mrs. big_load on a drive past the house I grew up in, but she didn't get a very good look.  The gun pointed at us sent my foot to floor.

My childhood home...

I grew up in the so-called poor third world.  I can remember adults walking barefoot on the streets -- and this was in the capital city!!

But you know what?  Starting at 6th grade, my folks let me wandered anywhere I please... taking buses all over town.  Many of the slum areas were pretty disgusting back then (rats scurrying about) -- but NO STREET was considered too dangerous for children to wander alone.  Think about that.

When I came over to the US for my university -- USC -- south central LA -- I took a walk by myself around the neighborhood one night (I didn't own a car).  My roommates thought I was crazy and warned me never to do it again.

Thinking back -- I was essentially like one of those giant tortoises from Galapagos Islands -- I knew no fear -- because I had never encountered danger.

It's a whole different world here -- for better... and for worse.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me and brothers walked and biked all over LA with no problems. That was 30 years ago though. :-)

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 24 2012, 5:16 pm)

Guarantee that ALL the bad guys will give up their guns and you can have mine, once all of theirs have been collected. Oh, and I'll also need a guarantee that no one will ever make a zip gun again. Ever.

No?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 13
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1......Oh, what wonderous places cities are.....
 Post Number: 14
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With previous crimes like the ones I read about, what was this guy doing OUT of prison in the first place?
 Post Number: 15
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 24 2012, 10:52 pm)

(eyebp @ Dec. 24 2012, 5:16 pm)

Guarantee that ALL the bad guys will give up their guns and you can have mine, once all of theirs have been collected. Oh, and I'll also need a guarantee that no one will ever make a zip gun again. Ever.

No?

Deal.

(Being a liberal is easy. I should have thought of this years ago)

--------------
 Post Number: 16
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We do such a great job of keeping drugs from crossing our borders I'm sure keeping guns out will be just as easy.  The shooting in Norway where 77 people were killed was done with firearms illegally brought in from another country.  The laws against them did not help them any.  

The first thing that needs to happen that no one is talking about is the media needs to stop giving these people the notoriety they are seeking.  No more publishing the names of shooters.  Their names should quickly be lost to history and the notoriety they seek denied.   That is how you stop them.  Most people recognize the names Harris and Klebold.  Giving them exactly what they wanted.  Take away the notoriety and the reason for doing it is gone.  

By the way this is not a liberal or conservative issue.  They don't come more liberal than me.  But I am not so stupid to believe that giving up my firearm will make me more safe.
 Post Number: 17
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2012, 6:53 pm)
Ya, no need for gun control in this country.  I can't imagine why anyone would think so.

Well said Captain Sarcasamous.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 18
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2012, 6:53 pm)

How bout keep folks who beat their grandmother to death with a hammer in jail for longer than 17 years.  How bout outlawing hammers also.  How bout learning what the word illegal means, as in illegally obtained firearms and illegal aliens.  The second one does not apply to this case but does point out the lack of understanding of the word.
 Post Number: 19
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Dec. 25 2012, 1:45 pm)
We do such a great job of keeping drugs from crossing our borders I'm sure keeping guns out will be just as easy.  The shooting in Norway where 77 people were killed was done with firearms illegally brought in from another country.  The laws against them did not help them any.  

The first thing that needs to happen that no one is talking about is the media needs to stop giving these people the notoriety they are seeking.  No more publishing the names of shooters.  Their names should quickly be lost to history and the notoriety they seek denied.   That is how you stop them.  Most people recognize the names Harris and Klebold.  Giving them exactly what they wanted.  Take away the notoriety and the reason for doing it is gone.  

By the way this is not a liberal or conservative issue.  They don't come more liberal than me.  But I am not so stupid to believe that giving up my firearm will make me more safe.

I'm not sure the no notoriety thing is gonna help much since these idiots are killing themselves after the fact. But I do agree that it would help in some cases.

Nice tat.  :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 20
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This made me so sad...  Yes, I'm quite tired of hearing of all the violent shooting deaths.  

Guns make killing too easy - murder and/or suicide.  If all people had were knives and hatchets there wouldn't be so many.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 21
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.we need to take all the cars.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 22
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if the guy got the idea for doing this from TV as the show Chicago Fire had a recent episode about firefighters getting shot at by a sniper.
 Post Number: 23
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lorax @ Dec. 25 2012, 8:16 am)
With previous crimes like the ones I read about, what was this guy doing OUT of prison in the first place?

Exactly!  He already murdered his grandmother and got a plea deal?  WTF?!  

Haven't read much of this story, other than the headlines...  so messed up!  

Seems like by the time all the facts come out on these stories, we've moved on to the next mass shootings and have lost interest...

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 24
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Dec. 26 2012, 2:19 pm)

Seems like by the time all the facts come out on these stories, we've moved on to the next mass shootings and have lost interest...

I think one thing we can all agree is to keep the violent people locked up and make room for them by releasing the pot smokers.

"Who's with me....ahhhhhhh!!!!"  <---name the movie for $10,000

--------------
 Post Number: 25
motts Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After he kills his grandmother with a hammer!

--------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—  
I took the one less traveled by,  
And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 26 2012, 12:44 pm)

I think one thing we can all agree is to keep the violent people locked up and make room for them by releasing the pot smokers.

No, I don't want dopies on our streets either!

Here's an idea...

1.  Round up all killers and dopers.
2.  Ship them to prisons in poor countries of the world.
3.  Pay those countries $5,000 per head for local room and board.

Results:

1.  A safer America.
2.  At far less cost.
3.  Plus helping out poor countries.

There.   :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Geo. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heart goes out to the families of these random mass killings as well as any individual innocent victim of 'gun' crime.
Can't think what the answer would be - restrictions on military style/semi auto's would be a small start, at least in eventually curtailing the fire power readily available to a slight degree. But with an estimated 270 million firearms already out amongst your population maybe it's too late and the genie is already out of the bottle.
It's reported that the killer involved in the firefighter deaths was a convicted felon who was not permitted to own firearms. He had them though, and the police report quotes him as having weapons of several type. So how are you ever going to prevent a felon or insane person from gaining access to weapons. I suspect that even an improbable total  ban on weapons would only leave those that shouldn't have them, with them.
Maybe too, news of mass killings triggers 'copycat' thoughts in the heads of other unstable types, but there's no way these events will ever lack coverage. A tough and sad situation.

--------------
Dances With Marmots  
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 28
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 26 2012, 6:10 pm)

(eyebp @ Dec. 26 2012, 12:44 pm)

No, I don't want dopies on our streets either!

Here's an idea...

1.  Round up all killers and dopers.
2.  Ship them to prisons in poor countries of the world.
3.  Pay those countries $5,000 per head for local room and board.

Results:

1.  A safer America.
2.  At far less cost.
3.  Plus helping out poor countries.

There.   :cool:

Boooo! You suck, Ben.   :D

Politically there are maybe two things we disagree on. Making doobies legal is a big one for me.

Side note..I wouldn't smoke if it were legal. But I hate being told I can't.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I despise being told I can't do something. Its a curse and it has got me in a TON of trouble.  :-)

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Dec. 26 2012, 4:39 pm)
I despise being told I can't do something. Its a curse and it has got me in a TON of trouble.  :-)

I hope you like curry.   :p

--------------
62 replies since Dec. 24 2012, 1:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yet Another Isolated Incident?  Or...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions