2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best photo of 2012< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 5:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post your single best photo from 2012. Just one please, even though it might be a bit hard to whittle it down. "Best" doesn’t necessarily have to be the most technically sound shot – just the one you liked the most, for whatever reason. Tell us what that reason is though, as well as a few words about the photo.

For inspiration, check these out:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1174236

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To get the ball rolling here's my offering...

For me, this year was really difficult to pick from. I managed to get to a number of locations that had been on my list for years. A photo from any of those locations could have made it, but the one I've picked isn't. It is my favorite photo of the year though, for technical reasons as well as because the moment was so special.

The photo was taken in April, in Arches National Park, Utah. I'd got to the Delicate Arch amphitheater in the afternoon, right after some thunderstorms. While waiting for the light to improve I scoped out various locations and settled on this spot. However, when the sun began to go down and the arch was bathed in gorgeous light I happened to be set up in a different spot, where everyone else was. Right at sunset the clouds began to light up, but out of frame for me. Of course these were prime from the location I'd originally decided to shoot from.   Everyone must have thought me mad as I abandoned my current stand and sprinted to that other spot out of sight.

Delicate Arch: Evening lightshow

--------------
 Post Number: 3
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a picture of GoBlue's lovely wife and my 3 girlfriends.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good choice! :D

--------------
 Post Number: 5
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took this picture this morning and GaliWalker's story is really the reason I chose this sunrise pic.  When I got up this morning I was going to hit a usual spot for morning bird pictures.  I could tell it was going to shape up to be a great sunrise pic morning so I left the zoom in the bag and used a wide to see what I could capture.  It was apparent that my location this time of year was not a great choice so  I abandoned the spot and quickly drove to another location.  After setup at location 2 I knew right away it wasn't great either but it was fairly late in the game so I decided to make the best of it.  A few snaps in I just knew I could do better so I threw the stuff together and hoofed it back to the truck to head to a third location.  I ran across a guy that had an idea what I was doing but still said, "you know you're about 40 minutes late to the party".  Which was true but I thought... I'm going to get the shot I want.  And sure enough I got the shot I wanted.  It goes to show you, no matter how late in the game, don't give up:

Stockton Park Sunrise by Bernard Malinis (bmalinis)) on 500px.com
Stockton Park Sunrise by Bernard Malinis

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 6
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Got this one last winter. Happy New Year!

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 7
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The family and I did a canoe camping trip on Bear Island on NC's Outer Banks this past October.  Nine very fit ladies dressed in spandex paddled out to the island to do yoga on the beach. :D

My wife said I could only take photos of the kayaks

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a high-quality photo by any means, but one I found interesting:

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 9
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some foster kittens from the summer who charmed my dog:

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 10
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Choco!

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 11
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow - there are some really good ones here! Mine is one I have been working on for a while, and continue to. I am attempting to use the photograph as an interpretation of the Hindu mythological story, "The Humbling of Indra"...

At the gate of a grand, new palace that was being built, there appeared a beautiful blue boy with a lot of children around him, just admiring his beauty. The porter at the gate of the new palace went running in to the king god Indra, and Indra said, "Well, bring in the boy." The boy was brought in, and Indra, sitting on his throne said, "Young man, welcome. And what brings you to my palace?" "Well," said the boy with a voice like thunder rolling on the horizon, "I have been told that you are building such a palace as no Indra before you ever built." Surprised, Indra said, "Indras before me, young man— what are you talking about?"

The boy says, "Indras before you. I have seen them come and go, come and go. Just think, Vishnu sleeps in the cosmic ocean, and the lotus of the universe grows from his navel. On the lotus sits Brahma, the creator. Brahma opens his eyes, and a world comes into being, governed by an Indra. Brahma closes his eyes, and a world goes out of being. The life of a Brahma is 432,000 years. When he dies the lotus goes back, and another lotus is formed, and another Brahma. Then think of the galaxies beyond galaxies in infinite space, each a lotus, with a Brahma sitting on it, opening his eyes, closing his eyes. And Indras? There may be wise men in your court who would volunteer to count the drops of water in the oceans or the grains of sand on the beaches, but no one would count those Brahmin, let alone those Indras."

While the boy was talking, an army of ants paraded across the floor. The boy laughed when he saw them, and Indra's hair stood on end, and he says to the boy, "Why do you laugh?" The boy answered, "Don't ask unless you are willing to be hurt."

Indra said, "I ask. Teach." And so the boy points to the ants and says, "Former Indras all. Through many lifetimes they rise from the lowest conditions to the highest illumination, and then down they go again."

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't get to do much photography for myself this year, but here's one.  A sensual peonie.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 13
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sort of liked the simplicity of this one...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great shots all, but I just love BCPete1's entry. Wow!

--------------
 Post Number: 15
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A gorgeous August morning in the Eagle Cap Wilderness of northeast Oregon.  This is Eagle Cap (9572 ft) over Sunshine Lake.

Post Number: 16
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Four Peaks range along the Arizona Trail. I like the way the smaller rock cropping mimics the four peaks in the background.
Four Peaks Mountains

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another I like from this year...

--------------
 Post Number: 18
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Travis ... that deer shot is crazy!

Here's another favourite of mine from this past summer.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pete, love both those shots... have watched coyotes hunting like that countless times. Fun to watch them come up for air with a mouse or vole!

--------------
 Post Number: 20
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BCPete1 @ Dec. 25 2012, 2:19 pm)
Hey Travis ... that deer shot is crazy! . . .

Thanks, Pete, but your coyote shot is magical in comparison. This is the kind of thread a guy can just sit back and enjoy. Lot's of great stuff.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 21
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Fav is from my son's graduation from Hugh School, but this is probably better really and is the Mary D. Hume at the Rogue River in Gold Beach

Mary D. Hume on 365 Project

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 22
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My photo year had it's ups and downs. Too busy working to get outside early in the year, but had a wondrous 10 day road trip through the SW Deserts later in the year where it it was nearly impossible to take a bad shot.

This is going to have to be my photo for this thread, taken as the High Park Fire got a huge second wind and was barreling back down towards my town.

This was taken ~ 400 yds from my house as two brave helicopter pilots with cojones of titanium flew into the maelstrom of smoke and fire.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 23
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too many to pics from, lots from backpacking and work.  Always post backpacking ones so heres one from work this summer is a change.  WildlandFire in Eastern Utah, blew up and ran down alongside the road we were trying to hold.

Post Number: 24
mbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fox Glacier in New Zealand, right after stepping outside of the rainforest.
 Post Number: 25
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Moraine Lake
Three Sisters Wilderness, Central Oregon

Post Number: 26
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RevoRunner @ Dec. 24 2012, 5:55 pm)
I took this picture this morning and GaliWalker's story is really the reason I chose this sunrise pic.  

Wow.  Wowee wowee wow wow.
 Post Number: 27
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Dec. 25 2012, 10:28 pm)

(RevoRunner @ Dec. 24 2012, 5:55 pm)
I took this picture this morning and GaliWalker's story is really the reason I chose this sunrise pic.  

Wow.  Wowee wowee wow wow.

Thanks orygawn.  All of these photos are great.  My vote goes to BCPete1.  That one is excellent.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 28
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite by a mile

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 29
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 24 2012, 11:40 pm)
Not a high-quality photo by any means, but one I found interesting:

That photo makes it's way around here every spring with the caption "Spring is here... we can see deer again!". :D

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 30
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wetterhorn Basin (CO):

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
55 replies since Dec. 24 2012, 5:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best photo of 2012
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions