2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Nice Work -- If You Can Get It< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 1:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, are you one of the nomadic rich?   Read this CNN article and find out.  Almost makes work fun!  Of course, one must take the usual media spin with a couple grains of salt.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Instead of an addiction to status and possessions, we're addicted to experience and novelty.

The end result is the same. Our relationships, our connections to what’s important, suffer.

For the first time in three years of non-stop travel, I wish for a home."

What I find interesting about this article is that if your business is internet based, can you not still have a "home" and traditional family? It seems to me that this sort of business gives an individual freedom to stay home or travel as much as they want. They aren't required to travel.

Especially with today's technology and web based meetings.

I call bull on the "whoe-is-me" part.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree.  There does seem to be a bit of narcissism involved.  And wishing for what we don't have is a common trait of ours, isn't it?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a lifestyle that's been around for awhile, just the net has made communications more convenient (I remember calling home from Asia pre-internet and getting the time difference wrong ... last phone call for 9 months), but most eventually want to settle (2 car garage, spouse who gets to share your bathroom, plasma television in a language you can understand, etc..).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it's more than a lifestyle.  It can also be great opportunity.

Many fret that good jobs are hard to find at home -- and that is true.  But there is a whole world out there for most anyone here who wants in and is willing to work toward it.

The proverbial 'third world peasant' with maybe a primary school education is mostly stuck at home -- or if he ventures out, he would be just part of the 'international labor pool'.

But most all Americans have a leg up to work in good jobs pretty much anywhere in the world.  And salaries in those levels are relatively fabulous.  English is the lingua franca.

Wouldn't be a bad thing to get our kids to expand their horizon.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a couple of friends like this, but neither are married or full-time parents.  Having school-aged kids would make this life pretty difficult.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 7
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did the traveling and working around the world for a few years, got tired of it.

Of course the places where I was are not high on most top destination lists.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 8
JD_TREX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 3:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hear ya ChuckD it's a big world,not all of it is so wonderful..

--------------
HYOH  EYOF
7 replies since Dec. 27 2012, 1:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Nice Work -- If You Can Get It
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions