2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Darn, it snowed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 3:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a complaint, but had hoped to get in one more hike this year, but it's snowing which makes travel difficult and almost impossible. We live in rural NE MO and roads get plowed, but not good enough in my part of the county since there are (truth) no judges and other bid deal county officials living in my corner. Their roads tend to get plowed first and more often.
Today would have been day hike 215 of at least 3 miles this year, but a walk in town will have to do before they plow the streets too much and make them too slippery to walk without cleats on.  Not a hike, but the snow is good lookin' and the fields and pastures a block away should be a wonder to say nothing of the fence lines and their bramble.
Then there is tomorrow. Had hoped to have a "first day" hike at a somewhat local state park. I'll have to see if the roads permit such. Otherwise, we will walk the 3.8 mile gravel loop north of town.
Be it all as it is. The neighbors kids are running up and down the street pulling friends on a sled with their ATV, and the squirrel in the bird feeder has a tail full of snow.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry about the roads.  Up here in Maine, thats one thing they do well.  Doesn't matter how much snow, they are on it.  We got @ 10" and I got out for a nice day hike today in a wildlife refuge.  Lots of tracks and deer.  Stinks being cooped up.   :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down here we drive up a half hour into the mountains to get to the snow - and some people then shovel it into their trucks and take it home and dump it on their driveway, lol

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just can not imagine how you got enough snow to keep you from hiking. Maybe I misunderstood.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 01 2013, 5:23 pm)
I just can not imagine how you got enough snow to keep you from hiking. Maybe I misunderstood.

Ditto.  Snowshoes?  Skis?  Snow just opens up a whole new world of hiking.  Get out there and enjoy it.  Just my 2 cents worth.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I knew that at least Travis would have something to say about snow wouldn't hold him back.  Especially since I've seen some of the pictures of the snow he's hiked in.  

Listen, the amount of times you got out was super impressive... be thrilled about that.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 7
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not enough snow to keep from hiking. Just couldn't get to a trail head safely. That was yesterday, today is a day for a hike.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 8
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:01 am)
I knew that at least Travis would have something to say about snow wouldn't hold him back.  Especially since I've seen some of the pictures of the snow he's hiked in. . .

I could hardly compare myself to Hikerjer's adventures snowcamping up Rock Creek from Red Lodge. But that is serious snowfall in that area.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 9
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:29 am)

Not enough snow to keep from hiking. Just couldn't get to a trail head safely. That was yesterday, today is a day for a hike.

Well, yeah, that makes more sense.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 02 2013, 10:34 am)

(leafwalker @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:29 am)

Well, yeah, that makes more sense.

Right, access is the major problem I have with getting out in the winter.  Around here, so many of the roads to my favorite areas just aren't plowed.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11
Grizzly James Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice post. I do truly fancy a good and abiding snow day. Because it means most of the world as you know it, sort of has to slow down, seems like, and in this "I wan't it now mentality" that is no small thing. So I for one appreciate such days, and the deeper the better.

We had one those days a couple weeks ago in fact. Snow blowing in a fierce tempest, drifting outside the window, organizations closing left and right. Travel not advised.  My kind of day. I am always well with the idea of enforced leisure, never one to fight it. My first instinct was to fire up the BBQ grill, of which I stoically did. The smoke struggled upwards, and was stolen at once amid the bitter winds.  And the neighbors just stared at me from behind their warm looking windows, and shook their collective heads. In time the coals took, and hickory smoked pork chops were procured from the savage elements. After which I could be found by the fireplace, with a lovely beverage in hand, and a good travel narrative.  Keen at once to go no where, and if all went well, to do very little else. Guilt-free, courtesy of a good snow day. Amen

-GJ
 Post Number: 12
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And here I am pissing, moaning, and groaning that the stubborn hard rainfall just won't turn to snow! It's 34*, which generally is cold enough here and there are ice particles intermixed with the rain, just enough to tempt.  Dang it all! Snow already!!
11 replies since Dec. 31 2012, 3:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Darn, it snowed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions