2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 812345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Boycott Backcountry.com, and other industry sell outs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why am I pissed? Because for years now, Ive noticed an ever increasing trend in virtually all sectors of business: market to the once-a-year user and hipster/yuppie types. I will relate to the outdoor industry because thats the one I am most involved in, as both a long time hiker and a professional trail crew worker.

It starts with vague language meant to persuade you that all your problems and deficiencies can be cured with some product:

"Treeline is a Backcountry.com project dedicated to bringing you an elevated perspective—spotlighting the designers and craftsmen whose passion evolves the outdoor lifestyle. "

Hear that? It will elevate you!! When I think of how many times I felt spiritually disconnected, only to be handed a consumer product, and just wow, I feel so elevated. Or how about this gem from the frauds over at Best Made Co.

"The staple axe of base camp is sure to inspire with its good looks..."

Yup, thats how I pick my axes: which one of these will most inspire people when its sitting around at the end of the day? Nevermind that this $450 axe actually costs half that when purchased from its actual maker, Tuatahi. Youre paying for the experience. A truly unique brand experience!

Ooh a "Red Cap of Courage" turns an ordinary wool hat into an experience. Forget that its $85 (yeah, EIGHT-FIVE), just think of how cool youll look while keeping warm!

So why did I highlight Backcountry.com? Treeline is their answer to the modern market. Flannel shirts "that we could wear both in the field and to the bar after getting blood on it." for $90. Picnic-style knapsacks for $150. Whats next? An aggressive cat hole digger shaped like an ice axe? Ha, that already exists and costs over $100. Welcome to America, where axes are made to be placed over fireplaces while wearing hundred dollar flannels. Good job!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Put the bong down and step away from the computer...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, love the title "industry sellouts"... am I the only one that sees the humor in that?

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 4
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a cat hole digger shaped like an ice axe.  It's a Grivel.  I got it at REI.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Jan. 02 2013, 4:06 pm)
Welcome to America

Keywords.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 02 2013, 7:35 pm)
Put the bong down and step away from the computer...

Why I never.

I smoke joints!
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's marketing.

Just because some marketing guy behind a desk puts out an ad saying this item will bring you fulfillment and happiness, doesn't mean it's an inherently bad product, or even a bad retailer.  It's just marketing, and it's been happening for as long as anyone can remember.  To get away from it you'll have to make everything from raw materials with your bare hands.

If it's overpriced, with more style than substance, then move along and buy something else.  Never been any different.  The locally-owned mountaineering shop near me (which is about as close to a "hard-core" climbing and mountaineering store as you get) also sells occasional ballcaps and polo shirts, and most the down jackets they sell only get worn to the grocery store.  C'est la vie.  Doesn't mean I plan to boycott them.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And MY ordinary wool hats will cost you $85 too.

The yarn is hand-freaking-spun by an award winning, semi nekkid andmostlysober spinner, from fleece so pampered the sheep have names.

The processing is completely vegan, no illegal chemicals are used, and the knitter might even be in a reasonably good mood that day and not leave icky karmic residue all over the yarn.

I should charge $150.
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marketing ploy:  Send along pictures of your half nekkid self knitting each hat and charge $200.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$235.  Dignity is expensive.
 Post Number: 11
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ted Kaczynski?  I thought you were still in prison.  

You do realize you are typing on a computer that is sold the same way.  Probably using a Microsoft OS that is marketed the same way.  Posting to a magazine web site that is marketed the same way.  

I agree consumerism is a trap that enslaves you to your stuff that is always out of fashion or obsolete the day after you buy it.  You are always wanting for more of the next great thing and that will make you happy this time.  You just can't get no... satisfaction.  I have read Walden more than once myself.  All we can do is our best to recognize it for what it is and try not to be too influenced by it.  

However I don't think you have proven your premise that Backcountry is any worse than any other backpacking specialty company.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:23 pm)
Ted Kaczynski?  I thought you were still in prison.  

You do realize you are typing on a computer that is sold the same way.  Probably using a Microsoft OS that is marketed the same way.  Posting to a magazine web site that is marketed the same way.  

I agree consumerism is a trap that enslaves you to your stuff that is always out of fashion or obsolete the day after you buy it.  You are always wanting for more of the next great thing and that will make you happy this time.  You just can't get no... satisfaction.  I have read Walden more than once myself.  All we can do is our best to recognize it for what it is and try not to be too influenced by it.  

However I don't think you have proven your premise that Backcountry is any worse than any other backpacking specialty company.

#1 its a Mac, I dont screw around with that Windows stuff. Also, the only reason I have a computer is because for the past half decade I've made most of my living from freelance photography.

Its not even so much about going in or out of fashion. Its how Wall Street attitudes have infected businesses. No longer is it enough to make a good product that sells at a fair price. Its about the complete maximization of profits to benefit the shareholder(s). And what that usually means is a drop in product quality, heaven forbid someone at the top taking a pay cut, oh no, pass that **** on to the consumer!
 Post Number: 13
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:17 pm)

I'll go $250.00

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 14
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:04 pm)

The yarn is hand-freaking-spun by an award winning, semi nekkid and rarely sober spinner, from fleece so pampered the sheep have names.

The processing is completely vegan, no illegal chemicals are used, and the knitter might even be in a reasonably good mood that day and not leave icky karmic residue all over the yarn.

I should charge $150.

Fixed it for you

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:38 pm)

(spindle @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:04 pm)

The yarn is hand-freaking-spun by an award winning, semi nekkid and rarely sober spinner, from fleece so pampered the sheep have names.

I should charge $150.

Fixed it for you

You've seen too much.   :D
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:37 pm)

I'll go $250.00

I hope grey is ok.
 Post Number: 17
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Jan. 02 2013, 6:31 pm)

You do realize you are typing on a computer that is sold the same way.  Probably using a Microsoft OS that is marketed the same way.   

I agree consumerism is a trap that enslaves you to your stuff that is always out of fashion or obsolete the day after you buy it.  You are always wanting for more of the next great thing and that will make you happy this time.  

#1 its a Mac, I dont screw around with that Windows stuff. Also, the only reason I have a computer is because for the past half decade I've made most of my living from freelance photography.

Its not even so much about going in or out of fashion. Its how Wall Street attitudes have infected businesses. No longer is it enough to make a good product that sells at a fair price. Its about the complete maximization of profits to benefit the shareholder(s). And what that usually means is a drop in product quality, heaven forbid someone at the top taking a pay cut, oh no, pass that **** on to the consumer!

So you bought into the over priced, propriety Mac "Cult", based on what  ??? , instead of building your own "do it yourself" PC  for 1/2 the price.

I find this thread getting more ironic by the moment.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 18
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes this forum can be so much fun.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 19
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:46 pm)

(bad knees @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:37 pm)

I'll go $250.00

I hope grey is ok.

grey?  My fav.  I'll go 300.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:48 pm)

You do realize you are typing on a computer that is sold the same way.  Probably using a Microsoft OS that is marketed the same way.   

I agree consumerism is a trap that enslaves you to your stuff that is always out of fashion or obsolete the day after you buy it.  You are always wanting for more of the next great thing and that will make you happy this time.  

So you bought into the over priced, propriety Mac "Cult", based on what  ??? , instead of building your own "do it yourself" PC  for 1/2 the price.

Hm, maybe because PCs are a load of junk? Wonder why virtually everyone in the art industry uses em? It aint cuz of some cult crap. Its cuz they work and dont crash. Unless you are also in the art field, how bout piping down and going back to what you know about?
 Post Number: 21
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they didn't sell the hat/shirt/axe experience to some gullible yupster for 3x what it's worth, they wouldn't be able to buy them mass produced in volume from China and they wouldn't be available online for us to purchase at a reasonable price.

Oh, and there isn't "a" PC, unless you think all the manufacturers got together and agreed to all make crap.  Actually, a Mac "is" a PC (personal computer)
 Post Number: 22
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Jan. 02 2013, 6:00 pm)

(swimswithtrout @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:48 pm)

Hm, maybe because PCs are a load of junk? Wonder why virtually everyone in the art industry uses em? It aint cuz of some cult crap. Its cuz they work and dont crash. Unless you are also in the art field, how bout piping down and going back to what you know about?

He does have a point, Greg.  Apple is notoriously good  at marketing.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 23
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Hm, maybe because PCs are a load of junk? Wonder why virtually everyone in the art industry uses em? It aint cuz of some cult crap. Its cuz they work and dont crash. Unless you are also in the art field, how bout piping down and going back to what you know about?"

Just going to throw this out there, since I know what I'm talking about, seeing as I own a computer repair business and all...
PCs are junk? Most people do not realize that Macs are made from the exact same hardware that PCs are built from, even manufactured in the same plants. Intel chips mostly on foxconn boards.
The only difference is the fancy aluminum shell and shiny OS.
My PC (custom build of course) runs circles around any mac, and hasn't crashed, ever. 3 year old now.

I find it hilarious you are using a computer that was sold to you based purely on image, and fancy wording pushed your way via advertising. The same hardware, priced twice as high, with a shiny shell. Yet you're blasting all over the internet about the same issue.

A side note, Foxconn who makes most of Apples products works their employees to death, almost literally.

If you really want to avoid consumerism, go build a computer from scratch and install Linux. Otherwise you're buying and funding the same garbage your ranting against, and thus a hypocrite.

Until then, you sound like a fool.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Jan. 02 2013, 7:00 pm)

No I didn't just sleep at a "insert motel chain here", another bit of catchy marketing, but I DO "freelance" my images as well, not as a 24/7 job but it helps pad the bank quite nicely.

I'm always amused by the term "freelance" photographer. If all you've done for the majority of your income for the past ten years is through photography, than you're a "Professional" photographer.

But I digress. I haven't bought an off the shelf computer from anybody in over 15 yrs since it's all "just marketing and crap parts". The only way to know what your getting with decent parts is to build your own. Two/ three hours tops to assemble the parts to the Mobo and then 1/2 hr to install an OS........ "But wait, There's More !!!!"

Apple won't sell you just their OS, you have to buy their whole "package"...of cheap OVER PRICED parts.

Talk about marketing !! The days of a Windoz based machine "crashing" from a software glitch went out the window years ago. I haven't seen a blue/black screen in almost 10 yrs. But even when paying a premium for high quality parts, (but still less than 1/2 of what Apple charges for the same part) I will run into occasional hardware failures.

So lets talk economics. Here's the current trading price of MS/ Apple

MS $27.52
Apple $549

That's going to keep some early Apple investors very happy !

There is nothing in this whole discussion that will make any difference to the world in general.  Bp's, camera buyers (Nikon vs Canon), car buyers,computer buyers, etc,etc ,etc ,etc ,etc,etc,etc ,etc,etc ,etc ,etc ,etc........

People buy what they're told to buy. It's all in the pitch, one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still, I liked it better when they just used sex to sell me something.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 26
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Far too many other things to be incensed about.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didnt get into photography to learn how to build and maintain computers. Ergo, Mac.

So Mac is all shiny glitz huh? Explain why virtually ALL professional artists use it then? The OS. The OS is by and far better for what ARTISTS need to do than anything Windows puts out. Ill be the first to admit that they can be expensive, but it pays in the long run. I take note every time I hear people say "my PC has never crashed" or some other junk, and they are, 99 out of 100, a computer repair person, a software designer, etc. I dont have the time or will for that. If Im working on an image, I might leave it open for weeks. Sure, I save as a I go, but not every two seconds. I cant afford to lose time because Microsoft blows whale cock. If I have to pay way more for something that, hello, WORKS!, then Im all for it. My complaint in my OP was that the quality doesnt justify the price, its all just hype. $90 for a flannel shirt? For that price it better give me a handy before I go to sleep.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AGHHH you see this is why the internet sucks. I brought what I thought was a valid topic of conversation to the table and it devolves into mac vs pc. What troubles me is I know some of you, deep down, agree with me, but since its the internet, you cant help but automatically disagree. Its in your blood. Yeah, you can say the same to me, but its not true. Look through my post history. Maybe the way I write comes off as ingratiating, because it really seems like every time I start a new thread, its automatic disagreement by what feels like 90% of those who post. Which, in turn, makes me want to gently, not violently, but gently fornicate all of your mothers in front of each one of you.
 Post Number: 29
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So Mac is all shiny glitz huh? Explain why virtually ALL professional artists use it then? The OS. The OS is by and far better for what ARTISTS need to do than anything Windows puts out.

Exactly how is it better again? Unless you can give me some valid examples (I'm betting you can't) your argument holds no water. Microsoft products run some incredible software, that manages to do some incredible things. Infact, almost all software, video games, and movies are produced on Microsoft systems.
Chances are, if their computer is crashing it's probably XP or older. Vista and up, all very very solid operating systems. Especially if it's 64 bit.
The only systems I work on that crash have viruses (including macs.Yep, they get them too) or bad hardware.
If Im working on an image, I might leave it open for weeks. Sure, I save as a I go, but not every two seconds. I cant afford to lose time because Microsoft blows whale cock

I don't know anyone who saves every 2 minutes...and why exactly does MS blow? Again, I'm thinking you can't offer any real examples.

I'm not saying Apple makes a bad product, they don't. But they don't make a superior product in any way.

Just admit it, you've been sold and Idea, an image. You have no valid points to back it up.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Jan. 02 2013, 8:08 pm)
Just going to throw this out there, since I know what I'm talking about, seeing as I own a computer repair business and all...
PCs are junk? Most people do not realize that Macs are made from the exact same hardware that PCs are built from, even manufactured in the same plants. Intel chips mostly on foxconn boards.  Foxconn who makes most of Apples products works their employees to death, almost literally.

If you really want to avoid consumerism, go build a computer from scratch and install Linux. Otherwise you're buying and funding the same garbage your ranting against, and thus a hypocrite.

Until then, you sound like a fool.

Though I knew it true, since I build my own PC's for myself and family, your reply is perfect !!

Foxconn is the worst POS product there is, both quality and human service wise.

How else do you think Apple can keep their profits that high ??

Sorry Apple Fanboys, Apple is more about profit/ product marketing than MS. Neither are Saints but Apple is the most egregious.

And this completely agrees with your OP !! It's all about marketing.

--------------
238 replies since Jan. 02 2013, 7:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 812345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Boycott Backcountry.com
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions