2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cold Weather Bar-B-Q'ing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Somehow the topic came up in the office about winter bar-b-q'ing, and I was getting some weird looks when I mentioned I grill way more in the winter than I do in the summer. My idea of a great winter weekend is do a little snowshoe or walk in the morning, grill up some nice steaks or pork chops in mid-afternoon (before it gets dark at 4pm), and then work it off in the wood-fired hot tub for a couple of hours - watching the milky way do its stuff. Add a full moon or meteor shower, and it's all golden.

After I mentioned that time last winter when I was out grilling in -31C temps, the looks started to lean toward 'asylum escapee'. They didn't seem to believe me when I said it's only the wind that's the problem! :laugh:  :laugh:   :laugh:

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Makes sense, stand over the grill and youll not only stay warm but youll come home smelling delicious!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grilled the other night in 50 knot winds and it was @ 18 degrees f .  got 8" of snow on my grill right now and am going to grill tomorrow.  Well maybe Friday.  It is going down to well below zero and blowing like hell.  But why not?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 4
Grizzly James Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, I admire your token winter weekend, an outdoors man's ideal!

Seems a curious notion held in esteem by many a backpacker, this winter grilling. Common to our species I guess. I do this too. I can't help myself. I favor a hot bed of coals often on a star-sprinkled winter's eve, tenderly rotating my pork chop, whilst admiring the simple poetry of putting meat to flame, and declaring that it is good. There is something about the rising smoke that contents me, especially so in the dead of winter. About meat sizzling amid the snow banks, and the memories procured there. Perhaps it reminds me of campfires past, or maybe it's just cause I like meat. Come to think of it, yeah, it's probably a little bit of both.

Very well then, I lift my cup of cocoa in quiet salute to the year-round BBQer. (There are more of you than I thought) A hardy lot, patrons to the pit, where the metal meets the meat., and the smoke also rises.

GJ
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I threw some ribs on the smoker Christmas day (and threw a towel over it to keep the temperature up)
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BBQ is a way of cooking.  Grilling is totally different.  We do both all year.  Never a bad time to fire up the grill.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to do a lot more winter grilling in my charcoal days.  My propane grill is stubbornly non-functional at temperatures where I wish it would work.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Refill your tank...geez

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny, I used wood/coal for my main fire this past weekend (20 degrees) and hung my dutch oven over the main fire , (3 bean,burger bake with biscuits) and used a cast iron Lodge grill with charcoal for 1'' ribeyes & chicken breasts beside it in the same pit,  my girl, dog~ loved it..... Grilling, during the winter here in the north is a blessing if known how.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jan. 03 2013, 12:15 am)
Refill your tank...geez

You just reminded me, one of my tanks is still empty from running the heater after the hurricane.

Hey, does grilling on a Whisperlite in the garage count?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 03 2013, 1:18 am)

(TDale @ Jan. 03 2013, 12:15 am)
Refill your tank...geez

You just reminded me, one of my tanks is still empty from running the heater after the hurricane.

Hey, does grilling on a Whisperlite in the garage count?

My propane burner and griddle have teamed up for many a fine steak.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never understood the concept that my grill should be stored for the winter.  If anything, the cool afternoons make for even better weather for slow smoking a rack of ribs or some salmon than a humid summer day ever could.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 13
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a year round out door cook also.

Nothing like a charcoal grill, a nice dry aged rib eye, and some 18 year scotch  to make a person appreciate life.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 14
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grill all year as well.  As long as there's not too much snow on the ground for me to get to the thing and or not be out of charcoal/gas, I'm good.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 15
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A grilled steak tastes good no matter what season of the year.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 16
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another year round griller here - it's not like you have to sit outside and watch your food - my Weber gas grill is right on the balcony off the spare bedroom and I use it regularly throughout the winter.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 17
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn....I'm jealous.  There's not even anywhere to reasonably place a grill where I live (row-house apartments...ugh), otherwise I'd be right there with everyone!!  Thankfully one of my 2013 goals is to move!!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 03 2013, 11:51 am)
Damn....I'm jealous.  There's not even anywhere to reasonably place a grill where I live (row-house apartments...ugh), otherwise I'd be right there with everyone!!  Thankfully one of my 2013 goals is to move!!

Whenever I found myself in that situation, I've owned...a portable gas, electric or charcoal grill.  Heck, go use a state park grill.

Nothing stops a griller.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was -4F last night when I put the steaks on the grill.  Not fun, but worth it.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jan. 03 2013, 7:04 pm)

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 03 2013, 11:51 am)

Whenever I found myself in that situation, I've owned...a portable gas, electric or charcoal grill.  Heck, go use a state park grill.

Nothing stops a griller.

That reminds me of an old college buddy.  He used to slide a Hibachi under the back end of his VW to warm up the engine before trying to start it in sub-zero weather.
 Post Number: 21
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 03 2013, 10:51 am)

As an apartment dweller myself, I've found that a little picnic griller works just fine in the fire place.
 Post Number: 22
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Jan. 03 2013, 7:42 pm)

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 03 2013, 10:51 am)

As an apartment dweller myself, I've found that a little picnic griller works just fine in the fire place.

Oh heck if you have a fireplace, then it's "hearth cooking"  all the way.  Dutch ovens, etc... Yumm

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 23
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Year round here, of course in Houston we have no real winter.  Competition cooks are getting into high gear about now.

On this note, if anyone is in the Houston area on the weekend of Jan 25-27, we're cooking at our local BBQ cookoff, free food and beer to anyone who shows up.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 24
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i need to rethink.  I'm a year-round non-griller because we have no summer.  But clearly if you can grill in -4 temps, you can grill in 50 deg. and foggy.  Though I can't sit inside and let it do it's thing--it would be downstairs and through the garage and out to the yard. . . oh, heck, and you have to be into eating hunks of meat (well, no--I actually kinda want a grill if only just for the veggies).

Does it count that last May for Second Son's birthday party I dug a firepit in the back yard and we roasted hot dogs?  On sticks.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 03 2013, 7:27 pm)
...  He used to slide a Hibachi under the back end of his VW to warm up the engine before trying to start it in sub-zero weather.

It just occurred to me that a few of the younger folks might not recognize that I'm talking about mid-60's Beetle, with a rear, air-cooled engine.
 Post Number: 26
walkngawk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 03 2013, 11:26 pm)

(big_load @ Jan. 03 2013, 7:27 pm)
...  He used to slide a Hibachi under the back end of his VW to warm up the engine before trying to start it in sub-zero weather.

It just occurred to me that a few of the younger folks might not recognize that I'm talking about mid-60's Beetle, with a rear, air-cooled engine.

Brings back memories. In the 60's  BF in High School had a VW with a bad battery. He'd open the hood (in the rear) and wrap a rope around the pulley and give it a yank. It started just like a lawnmower.

It was something he bought from JC Whitney.

--------------
Contentment comes from moderation in all things: But, don’t overdue that either.
 Post Number: 27
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was 78 degrees here the last two days. We made BBQ chicken on the grill the night before last.

A big perk to living in Florida.... grilling all year long :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 28
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My grill is on the deck.  
When the snow is deep I use my shovel.  
When the weather is cold I wear down.
Charcoal works year round regardless of the weather.
Nothing stops me.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 29
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 04 2013, 3:46 pm)
My grill is on the deck.  
When the snow is deep I use my shovel.  
When the weather is cold I wear down.
Charcoal works year round regardless of the weather.
Nothing stops me.

For thy faithful grilling, ye shall be respected, O minor deity.
 Post Number: 30
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 03 2013, 11:24 pm)
Does it count that last May for Second Son's birthday party I dug a firepit in the back yard and we roasted hot dogs?  On sticks.

Depends if they were real hot dogs or some vegan attempt at a hot dog  :;):

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
39 replies since Jan. 02 2013, 7:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cold Weather Bar-B-Q'ing
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions