2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: After All the Hoopla in Congress...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know if 2012 state sales taxes are still deductible, as in past years?

Just need to know for my federal tax estimates... nothing political, please.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think that's the sort of thing they messed with.

Plan B?

Watch this space:
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503.html

Once the "last updated on" date goes into 2013 it'll be reasonably solid.

ETA: The Enrolled Bill is easy enough to scroll through. They extended the deduction for state sales tax btw so I was wrong, they did mess with a lot of that.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c112:5:./temp/~c1124tqlP8::
 Post Number: 3
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Washington state still has their deduction.  Not going to site for any other state, but assume so.

http://seattletimes.com/html....on.html
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks!  I read about WA state -- and I am thinking the sales tax deduction will likely continue into 2012 for Congress to approve WA's deduction specifically.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also read that the IRS may not let people file until March and will delay refunds. Now I need to find that reference... That had me more wigged out then the tax cut expirations.  I like to file the SECOND I have all my paperwork in hand, hence I have been following these stories like a worried mama.  I'd file on New Years Day if I could....
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"SEC. 205. EXTENSION OF DEDUCTION OF STATE AND LOCAL GENERAL SALES TAXES.
(a) In General- Subparagraph (I) of section 164(b)(5) is amended by striking `January 1, 2012' and inserting `January 1, 2014'.
(b) Effective Date- The amendment made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2011."
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again, HSF.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 03 2013, 9:16 pm)
Thanks again, HSF.

You're welcome.

The plus for me, as I often find, is after poking about to look into the post's question I now have a much better idea what the legislation contained. So poking about for an answer got me more informed. I might not have looked at the text if you hadn't asked about that specifically. So thanks!
 Post Number: 9
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 04 2013, 12:05 am)
I also read that the IRS may not let people file until March and will delay refunds. Now I need to find that reference... That had me more wigged out then the tax cut expirations.  I like to file the SECOND I have all my paperwork in hand, hence I have been following these stories like a worried mama.  I'd file on New Years Day if I could....

I think that was only a worry if the AMT hadn't been "fixed".  Since it was, I believe filing should happen on time.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 04 2013, 5:48 am)
I think that was only a worry if the AMT hadn't been "fixed".  Since it was, I believe filing should happen on time.

Well, it hasn't really been fixed, but at least it's indexed now.
9 replies since Jan. 03 2013, 10:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply After All the Hoopla in Congress...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions